Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"All The Kings Men" - Nigel McCrery

SandraB

I am currently researching my great-great uncle Ernest William Beart, British Army service number 2185, who served with B company, 1/5 Norfolk Regiment. He was presumed killed (but has no known grave) at Gallipoli in August 1915.

I have recently read the book "All The Kings Men" by author Nigel McCrery (I believe it was previously published as "The Vanished Battalion") - Ernest Beart is mentioned in this book. According to information in the book, an eye witness called Alfred Pearson saw Ernest and a wounded Captain Arthur Devereux Pattrick (Commanding Officer Lynn company) be surrounded, disarmed and marched away by Turkish soldiers.

I would really like to know where the author Nigel McCrery sourced this eye witness account from - does anybody know how I might be able to contact Nigel, perhaps by a website or email address?

I should also be interested to know if any descendants of Captain Arthur Devereux Pattrick or Private Alfred Pearson are out there and who might like to say hello!

Sandra - the topic posted has been discussed on numerous occasions on the forum, but this is the first time (I believe) that a 'descendant' of a soldier from the unit involved has posted.

If you use your 'search' tool which can be found on your screen and key in 'All the Kings Men' I am sure you will come up with some more info. Remember to search all forums and set your search to 'older items'.

Des

I should also be interested to know if any descendants of Captain Arthur Devereux Pattrick or Private Alfred Pearson are out there and who might like to say hello!

There is a relative of Captain Pattrick living in Wells-Next-The-Sea. He shares the same forename as me and is in the phone book.

Pete ;)

Hello again Sandra, and welcome to the Forum

Try putting 5th Norfolks etc in to the Search facility (button at the top of the screen under the red Remembering Today feature. This is one of themany threads you can follow:

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showt...hl=5th+norfolks

I will try and dig out Dick Rayner's article on the 5th Norfolks on Gallipoli, which appeared in Stand To! a couple of years ago.

Regards

Kate