Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Newbury 1917 Exhibition

Phil Wood

Good luck with the exhibition and talk Phil.

As I can’t make it back home this week is there any chance of a YouTube video of the event?

Sorry Knotty, but I fear that I might run into a few copyright issues if I put stuff on the web - getting releases for all the images could take months and cost more than I'm ready to part with!

After next year's exhibition I shall look into a Newbury in the Great War book - if I can persuade someone to sponsor the image rights!

Thans for your good wishes (the first run of the talk went well), I was not surprised when the local MP turned up for the official opening, but was surprised that he stayed for the talk (we leave a gap to allow those there out of duty rather than interest to escape).  It was an even bigger surprise the next day when he turned up for a good look at the exhibition.

Phil 

8 hours ago, Phil Wood said:

I shall look into a Newbury in the Great War book

I hope a signed copy for an Old Newburian (literally ex St Barts).

If you do need sponsoring I’m sure I can put my hand into my pocket to help out a bit, keep me in mind.

John

Edited by Knotty

Kind of you to offer John - I shan't forget, but we do have an excellent local funding source that may cough up the readies - or I could try the lottery!

As for the signed copy - I shall start practising my signature, it's amazing how seldom I sign anything these days.

Phil

Wow! I went along this morning and was most impressed. Phil's exhibition was very professionally presented and was attracting a steady stream of visitors of various ages.

On arrival, I was offered a cup of tea or coffee by one of Phil's lady colleagues (including his wife), and I was able to have a good chat with the man himself.

Truth to tell, my active interest in the war has been trickling  along for some years - a case of diminishing returns after a decade or more of it being my main hobby, but I came away feeling enthused.

In a couple of cases of memorabilia there was one object that particularly interested me  as an environmental volunteer who uses various handtools -

a sapper's trench saw like this

I would have loved to have a go at using it!

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker

1 hour ago, Moonraker said:

In a couple of cases of memorabilia there was one object that particularly interested me  as an environmental volunteer who uses various handtools - a sapper's trench saw like this. I would have loved to have a go at using it!

They are not that rare, and were used for a long time, so can be picked up on Ebay fairly cheaply, eg:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-Miltary-Folding-Trench-Saw-Leather-Case-Tools-1939-Good-Cond/391920812792?hash=item5b404d02f8:g:iLkAAOSwy0JaAFuF

It was good to meet you Moonraker - good of you to make the trip to Newbury.  The saw has generated a lot of interest - especially on the opening day before I sorted out the labels.  Everyone seemed to be looking at it as some sort of fiendish garrotte!

And mega thanks to Wardog for lending us items from his collection, each year he responds valiantly to my pleadings for items related to the year we are concentrating on.

Your welcome Phil.

Your quite correct Andrew-the saw is a common "ish" item. The one on display was bought at a Slough car boot in the late '90s for £7. Case Canadian made 1916- saw 1917. I'm missing the file- not sure if any small 3 sided file would do or if the issue one would have had markings or anything different about it.  Regards, Paul.

3 hours ago, Wardog said:

Your welcome Phil.

Your quite correct Andrew-the saw is a common "ish" item. The one on display was bought at a Slough car boot in the late '90s for £7. Case Canadian made 1916- saw 1917. I'm missing the file- not sure if any small 3 sided file would do or if the issue one would have had markings or anything different about it.  Regards, Paul.

I have one myself Paul - think mine was about £15 on Ebay years ago. WW2 leather case and missing the file as usual :-)

Last chance tomorrow (12 to 4) - over 500 visitors so far and lots of nice comments.

• Admin

Tried to get to you earlier, we were in Bray. Arrived in Newbury about 3.30 but the sat nav decided to go crazy 

23 hours ago, Wardog said:

...Your quite correct Andrew-the saw is a common "ish" item ... Paul.

I see there are five on offer on eBay, with various attributions to the First and Second World Wars.

Almost inevitably we  have had several threads about such saws, including

this one

Moonraker

23 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Tried to get to you earlier, we were in Bray. Arrived in Newbury about 3.30 but the sat nav decided to go crazy 

Sorry to miss you Michelle - next year perhaps?

We had just under 900 visitors many of whom were very kind in their comments - its interesting to read comments on feedback forms, but, after researching 300 men from the Newbury memorial, I did pale a little at the desire of one visitor to see the stories of the men from all the surrounding villages as well!