Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rev C W G Taylor

Sjack91

Good evening,

I am looking for any information on a Rev C W G Taylor who was a minister of my local church in Uddingston prior to WW1. He survived the war and going by dates I have he would have been born around 1879. Looking at when he left the church I believe he was sent to France early in 1916. I have a letter from him to the Kirk session however it does not mention much other than his regiment and that he is on the front line.

Apologise for the lack of information but any help would be greatly appreciated 

Regards

Stuart

IMG_6751.JPG

Note he was mentioned in this old thread as giving a testimonial.

The Very Rev C W G Taylor CBE DD (d.1950) Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland 1942

Charles William Gray Taylor 1879-1950

CHARLES WILLIAM GRAY TAYLOR,
 trans, from Uddingston 18th Jan. 1918 fo.v.),
 D.D. Edinburgh 30th June 1933; 
convener of Foreign Mission Committee 1928-36; 
moderator, General Assembly, 19th May 1942.

B 5/2/1879 Edinburgh to Alexander Taylor and Jane Davidson

Edited by charlie962

Stuart,

This link http://ecclegen.com/general-index-t/#Tarbet, Robert   will lead you to his entries in Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae.

A 1916 Army List shows that he was commissioned as a Chaplain on 15th March 1916.

An article in the Hamilton Advertiser of 17th November 1917 https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000471%2f19171117%2f126&fulfillmentTypeKey=4000  describes him being nominated for St. George's Edinburgh. He is clearly out of the Army by this time.

Regards,

Alf McM

It might be worth contacting the museum of Army Chaplaincy http://www.army.mod.uk/chaplains/23363.aspx. The C of E record cards are online but sadly other denominations are not. However, I believe that they do hold other records so it might be worth an email.

1 hour ago, ilkley remembers said:

It might be worth contacting the museum of Army Chaplaincy http://www.army.mod.uk/chaplains/23363.aspx. The C of E record cards are online but sadly other denominations are not. However, I believe that they do hold other records so it might be worth an email.

I can certainly recommend contacting them - they were exceedingly helpful with information regarding my ex-wife's grandfather.

15 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Edinburgh Royal High School Roll of Service

59ff884a7fc16_TaylorCWG.JPG.6652ebc7d00c2ac20edb4b3ae7555d32.JPG

His MIC shows him entitled to BWM and VM

Edinburgh University RoS has the same.

RM

16 hours ago, alf mcm said:

Stuart,

This link http://ecclegen.com/general-index-t/#Tarbet, Robert   will lead you to his entries in Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae.

A 1916 Army List shows that he was commissioned as a Chaplain on 15th March 1916.

An article in the Hamilton Advertiser of 17th November 1917 https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000471%2f19171117%2f126&fulfillmentTypeKey=4000  describes him being nominated for St. George's Edinburgh. He is clearly out of the Army by this time.

Regards,

Alf McM

That's interesting. He was to replace a minister who had been killed on active service. He would certainly have been there the following day to preach as sole nominee, but I am not sure that means he would have had to stop being a chaplain before the end of the war or his agreed term. The answer should be in the London Gazette.

RM

• Admin
7 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

That's interesting. He was to replace a minister who had been killed on active service. He would certainly have been there the following day to preach as sole nominee, but I am not sure that means he would have had to stop being a chaplain before the end of the war or his agreed term. The answer should be in the London Gazette.

RM

Temporary Chaplains to HM Forces were appointed on a one year renewable contract, therefore his initial contract, or 'agreed term' would have ended in March 1917.  

The Hamilton Advertiser 9 June 1917 has a small piece stating he was 'back from the front' and officiating locally at Uddingston and giving a talk on his experience.

It seems therefore he relinquished his commission at the termination of his initial contract.  The same newspaper dated 4 March 1916 indicates he was granted leave of absence for one year by Hamilton Presbyterey. Interestingly he agreed to return his Army emoluments to the Kirk Assembly to cover his 'supply'.  A further piece th following week (the 11th) had him saying goodbye to his parishioners as he had been told to report to Ripon the following Tuesday.

(I'll let you search the Infernal Gazette I can't find him relinquishing his commission).

Ken

2 hours ago, kenf48 said:

Temporary Chaplains to HM Forces were appointed on a one year renewable contract, therefore his initial contract, or 'agreed term' would have ended in March 1917.  

The Hamilton Advertiser 9 June 1917 has a small piece stating he was 'back from the front' and officiating locally at Uddingston and giving a talk on his experience.

It seems therefore he relinquished his commission at the termination of his initial contract.  The same newspaper dated 4 March 1916 indicates he was granted leave of absence for one year by Hamilton Presbyterey. Interestingly he agreed to return his Army emoluments to the Kirk Assembly to cover his 'supply'.  A further piece th following week (the 11th) had him saying goodbye to his parishioners as he had been told to report to Ripon the following Tuesday.

(I'll let you search the Infernal Gazette I can't find him relinquishing his commission).

Ken

I wonder if the end of a fixed contract  would be shown as demitting his commission. I'll pluck up courage sometime this week and see what I can find!

RM

There ought to be an obit for him if he was CBE and former Moderator ?

Edit  I dont have access: 5a00aaa8b6bfe_TaylorCWGobits.JPG.6c2d437674d30c8b03f9ccc2f16b39ff.JPG

Edited by charlie962

16 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

There ought to be an obit for him if he was CBE and former Moderator ?

Edit  I dont have access: 5a00aaa8b6bfe_TaylorCWGobits.JPG.6c2d437674d30c8b03f9ccc2f16b39ff.JPG

I'll distil a bit more of the Scotsman obit when I get time. It is nearly a full column. According to the obit he was chaplain to 1 Scots Guards.

RM

2 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

chaplain to 1 Scots Guards.

Does he appear in the recent highly detailed Scots Guards history perhaps ? I wont get to read my copy 'till Xmas !

Charlie

Just now, charlie962 said:

Does he appear in the recent highly detailed Scots Guards history perhaps ? I wont get to read my copy 'till Xmas !

Charlie

His arrival and departure should be in the war diary.

RM

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I was down at the reading rooms of the British library today and just sitting waiting at Heathrow to fly back up the road. Will need abit of time to sit and digest this when I get home.

intrestingly he is still listed as a soldier in the 1918/19 electoral roll

IMG_6893.PNG

He didn't become minister of St George's until 1918.

RM