Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Trevor Abbot Lawder RAMC

Exaltabit

Please could anyone help me with this officer, a distant cousin whom I know next to nothing about other than he served throughout the war and from what I have gleaned from his MIC. He may have been attached to 1st or 2nd Coldstream Guards. Could anyone furnish me me with anything more please? Thanks in advance.

Trevor’s MIC implies that he served with the 24th Field Ambulance in January 1918. He will be mentioned in the War Diary, and it may say where he came from before joining 24 FA.

The War Diary is available at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352473  for a small fee.

It is also available on Ancestry at https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=bmY6247&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&db=UKWarDiariesWWI&gss=angs-d&new=1&rank=1&MS_AdvCB=1&gskw=1703/1&gskw_x=1&MSAV=2&uidh=9y4&gl=&gst=&hc=20&fh=80&fsk=BEJq368IgADtawAC8uw-61-  if you have an account.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi

Here are some London Gazettes

The top three in this lot are for 3 X French Croix de Guerre, which is very, very rare for one person to be awarded. Sorry these are Edinburgh gazettes but I could not get the Londons to come up, will leave that for you to do. The LG dates are 7/6/1919, 21/8/1919 & 5/11/1920.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices/notice?end-publish-date=1925-12-01&text="Abbott+Lawder+"&start-publish-date=1914-06-01&location-distance-1=1&service=all-notices&categorycode-all=all&numberOfLocationSearches=1&results-page-size=10

These are just promotions

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices/notice?end-publish-date=1999-12-01&text="Trevor+A.+Lawder+"&start-publish-date=1900-06-01&location-distance-1=1&service=all-notices&categorycode-all=all&numberOfLocationSearches=1

• 1 year later...

Trevor Lawder was my grandfather. Educated at St Columbas, Dublin he qualified as a Doctor from TCD and joined the Army in 1914. He served throughout the war in France. The National Army Museum researched him and confirmed that he was awarded four and probably five Croix de Guerre including one with Palme plus mentions in despatches. One of his exploits including bringing back  a wounded Lord Iveagh from nomansland:  confirmed to my cousin Joyce when visiting Guinness's  Dublin and speaking to his lordship. In the second World War he served as a ships doctor in the Merchant Navy, crossed the Atlantic 17 times and in Italian campaign. He died in Opington around 1978.

• 1 month later...

Hi Richard,

please accept my apologies as I have only just stumbled on your post. My grandfather was Lawder Benjamin Sandys Smith who was at TCD studying engineering at the same time as your grandfather. I remember visiting your grandfather in London when I was very young. He was very unlucky not to have received a British gallantry award. You may be interested to know that I visited his brother's grave ( George William Dance) in France on the centenary of his death, 27/9/2018. Having fought in the front line with the Canadians since 1915 he was tragically killed only six weeks before the armistice.

All best wishes from a very distant cousin,

Ben

had a look on my lists and cant see the name but TBH not noted many from other regiments 

21 hours ago, Exaltabit said:

Hi Richard,

please accept my apologies as I have only just stumbled on your post. My grandfather was Lawder Benjamin Sandys Smith who was at TCD studying engineering at the same time as your grandfather. I remember visiting your grandfather in London when I was very young. He was very unlucky not to have received a British gallantry award. You may be interested to know that I visited his brother's grave ( George William Dance) in France on the centenary of his death, 27/9/2018. Having fought in the front line with the Canadians since 1915 he was tragically killed only six weeks before the armistice.

All best wishes from a very distant cousin,

Ben

Hi Ben...you may find this snippet from the British Newspaper Archive  interesting. 

Screenshot_20191209-091309.jpg

Hi Sadbrewer, that's fantastic, thank you. What paper did it come from? I often think I have just about got every snippet I can find about him and then another turns up. He was shot in the arm on 12/10/16 at Lesboeufs on the Somme and won the MC.

Best wishes,

Ben

same article but prob but not same paper as above is in 

Cheltenham Looker-On 28 October 1916