Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rare Lee Enfield SMLE MK3??

OwenMartin

Hi, 

about a year ago I purchased my dream gun a Lee Enfield SMLE MK3, I got it from my local military surplus store in Hertfordshire. At the time me and the shop owner both thought it was a typical rifle but we didn’t know why it had a flap over the cover, when I got home I looked into it and found out that it isn’t a Flanders Flap which I understand to be quite rare? As I am now 18 I’m looking to get a Enfield that actually fires and I was wondering how much my Enfield would be worth now? It is in perfect condition dated 1918. 

Thanks 

Owen

CA676975-1D87-4796-A337-2F4E61105550.jpeg

E8B22E73-2B69-46BD-8134-942039FF74BC.jpeg

B2A07533-2740-4F23-B549-4A317E15BE84.jpeg

6B40B25F-33B8-4816-A608-FEA9B1B2B5C5.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Owen,

Your SMLE looks like a nice example, do all the numbers match?  Don't forget if you sell it on you may have to have the deactivation updated to new spec., if not already to the current standard.

The 'Flanders Flap' fitted may be a modern replica, the spring looks suspiciously 'clean', they are available from around £15.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Hi Mike 

unfortunately the bolt was replaced by a previous owner I don’t know why, is there any way to date the Flanders Flap? 

Thanks 

Owen

Owen,

No way to date the 'Flanders Flap', one of the replicas available is stamped J & P above the broad arrow which yours clearly is not.  Another is sold by D.S Solutions Militaria,  (check their website) this I suspect is the source of yours.  They say that it differs in 'a single design change from the original'. to prevent it being passed off as an original.  Am not aware what this detail is.

Regards,

Mike.

Looking at the flap it is a replica I have one and it doesn't fit flush to the muzzle as per your example. The spurious marks on it  are  J&P with an arrow under the &.

John

Mike you beat me to it:-) 

You have a nice rifle Owen, picked my 1917 one up in 1996 for £80, I was at one time thinking of buying the repro Flanders flap. has for owning a FAC one, you have prove now that you need one IE Member of a FAC club, WW1 or WW2 reenactor, hunting etc.

Regards

Gerwyn

Thank for all the information my small Rifle collection is starting to grow, does anyone know the best ww1 Rifle to own? 

Thanks 

Owen

SMLEB)

Regards

Gerwyn

• 2 months later...

Nice rifle, I am looking into getting one myself, just learning about them and what to look for?

• 1 month later...

Andy, just read your request.

My 1918 de-activated example, made by BSA cost me around £400 a couple of years ago.

Try and find one with matching serial numbers and a nice patina is my advice....and get a de-activation certificate!

V/R

Wayne

• 2 months later...

Hi, I know I haven’t posted anything for a while but I’m trying to find out more about my SMLE. It’s dated 1918 the bolt unfortunately doesn’t match but the rifles Serial Number is 9243 and what looks like the letter U above it but I’m not sure if that’s just damage. I want to know if the rifle would have served in any conflict, I know it would have missed WW1 but would it have gone to any others? 

Thanks 

Owen

image.jpg