Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Officer, Connaught Rangers: Villers-Faucon C.C.Ext. 3.C.14

laughton

All great points - a Canadian always willing to learn to do things the "right way"!

1. I have changed the references to the war diaries, as you gave me enough information that I could go to the UK Archives site and figure out how they should be reported, so the attachments now report the reference in this format:
    UK, WWI War Diaries (France, Belgium and Germany) 1914-1920 WO 95 1970/2 pages 385-386
    6 Battalion Connaught Rangers, accessed via Ancestry.ca

Note that the UK National Archives page (http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352853) does not use the form "6th (Service) Battalion".

I find it interesting that since I upgraded my Ancestry.ca from "Canada Only" to "Worldwide" I can now access all of the Ancestry systems. If I enter into the Ancestory.com system it immediately redirects me the the Ancestry.ca system. However, if I enter the Ancestry.co.uk system, it keeps me in that system. It appears to me, at least at this time, that I can access more war diaries and documents if I am in the Ancestry.co.uk system. That my be important for other Canadians (or other commonwealth) users. I am also able to access via "Ancestry.com.au", however it does ask me if I want to go to the Canadian site.

2. Item 4 has now been updated to read:

The March 1918 War Diary of the 6th Battalion Connaught Rangers is missing; however it was fortunate that the War Diary of the 47th Infantry Brigade, 16th (Irish) Division, as well as the War Diary of the 6th (Service) Bn Connaught Rangers, contained a copy of the report filed by the Officer Commanding the battalion from 21st to 27th March 1918 (Attachment #4a).

3. I have made these changes:

The 'correct form' is to give his full  rank and name, thereafter the abbreviated form as used in the Army List. viz Capt T H Crofton MC etc.

The spreadsheet snips did not have the "M C" for Crofton as that was missing from the CWGC database at the time it was made. I did report that to the CWGC and they have updated the database, so I have updated that item in the report as well.

4. I have put in the full name for Lieutenant Thomas Francis Gilmore M C as well as Privates Ernest WIlliam Hayman and John Edgar Davies. I did not insert the details that you provided for Lt T F Gilmore M C. Although interesting, I do not see that is materially important to the case - or am I missing something?

5. I have changed all the Division, Brigade and Battalion titles to what you have listed, using the full name in the first instance and then the short form. Would I be correct that the proper use of this terminology should also be pointed out to the CWGC? For example, on Crofton's page they have "3rd Bn. attd. 6th Bn. 
    Connaught Rangers
    ". We routinely notify the CWGC of similar errors on the Canadian listings but I am not the proper person to do that for the British units. In one of the most interesting cases on their Canadian records and headstones, the CWGC had the "48th Battalion" for many men lost from the 15th Battalion. That happened because the 15th Infantry Battalion was primarily formed from the "48th Highlanders of Canada" (the militia regiment) and most of the men wore 48th Highlanders buttons on their tunics. It got complicated because there was a 48th Infantry Battalion, which was redesignated the "3rd Pioneer Battalion", all of which happened before the 3rd Pioneer Battalion reached France. We had to convince them on every case that the headstones were in fact those of the 15th Infantry Battalion. Kudos to the CWGC, as they sent out their stonemasons and changed every one in situ!

6. Last item for this post: Do you want to add your name, affiliation and email to the report? I know that David Avery is pleased to see the level of international cooperation, so I think it is good if all involved "sign in". If GWF members opt out, I normally include a statement in the submission, such as:

"We would also like to acknowledge the participation of a number of members of the Great War Forum, without whose input, this research could not have been completed as reported".

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Need some Pal's Expertise here please.

I am trying to deal with any issue as it relates to 2nd Lieutenant Hugh Victor Moore who is listed as a CONNAUGHT RANGER, attached to the 48th Trench Mortar Battery, and then it says formerly Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

In my draft report, I have 2nd Lt. Moore listed as one of the Officers KIA in March 1918. In cross-checking all the details, I noted that he is not POSITIVELY identified as being buried in the St. Emilie Valley Cemetery, Villers-Faucon, rather he has a SPECIAL MEMORIAL "B" (Believed to be buried in this cemetery). That is shown on GRRF 2044449.

I recently withdrew a report where I found a similar occurrence, but that was when the remains were in the same cemetery. In this case 2nd Lt. Moore is believed to be buried in a different cemetery than where we believe Captain Crofton is buried (Villers-Faucon Communal Cemetery Extension). It is possible, however, that 2nd Lt. Moore is not buried in the St. Emilie Valley Cemetery, which leaves him as a candidate for the Officer in the Villers-Faucon Communal Cemetery Extension.

According to the Long Long Trail summary of the 16th  (Irish) Division, the 48th Trench Mortar Battery was in the 48th Brigade, as compared to the 6th Bn Connaught Rangers in the 47th Brigade. The war diary of the 48th Brigade has a Summary of Operations for the same period of March 1918, which confirms they were also in the area of  Ronssoy and St. Emilie.

THE QUESTION THEREFORE BECOMES: Is it possible that a 2nd Lieutenant of the 48th Trench Mortar Battery, who apparently had a tie to the Connaught Rangers, be identified as an Connaught Ranger Officer?

If that was possible, then I think the CWGC would dismiss the case on that basis, particularly given that someone wrote the "Lt." beside the OFFICER wording on the GRRF.

I went through the COG-BR documents for the St Emilie Valley Cemetery to see if there was any indication as to why they believed that 2nd Lt. Moore was buried at that location. I found the following:

• 2044504 - UBO but I am not familiar with the trench coordinates written as E.18.800.E.600.N. Perhaps that is the same as 62c.E.18.b.3.3, if it is 800 yards east and then 800 yards north of the x-y intersection of 62c.E.c.0.0? That is immediately north of St. Emilie.
  • 2044511 - UBO at 62c.E.15.c.3.8, which might appear to be too far to the west to be the remains of either of the two officers in question, other than the fact that on the same page is shows Pte. Kennedy #3811 of the 6th Connaught Rangers
  • 2044513 - UBO at 62c.F.13.a.3.5, which is north of St. Emilie and west of Ronssoy Wood, so in the correct area
  • 2044517 - The most likely spot for 2nd Lt. Moore as this is marked as an "Unknown British Officer, Lt.", with the Means of Identification as "Shoulder Star", which means he was a Second Lieutenant (if only the one star). He may be from the German burials (see CWGC statement below)
  • 2044539 - excluded due to the location of the remains at A.25.d.9.4 (even if it is not map 62c).

Note that not all of these burials are from March 1918, as there are others (i.e. Pte. Bennet #44681) who was KIA in September 1918.

The CWGC says the following about the St. Emilie Valley Cemetery:

Villers-Faucon was captured by the 5th Cavalry Division on 27 March 1917, lost on 22 March 1918, and retaken by the III Corps on 7 September 1918. On the site of this cemetery at the Armistice, there were three large graves of Commonwealth soldiers buried by the Germans, which now form part of Plot I. The remainder of the cemetery is composed almost entirely of graves brought in from an older cemetery of the same name or from the battlefields. A large proportion of these concentrated graves were those of soldiers of the 16th (Irish) Division who died in March 1918. Ste. Emilie Valley Cemetery contains 513 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. 222 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to 21 casualties believed to be buried among them.

Thanks for checking on that for me.

So if I understand the answer correctly, even though he was in a different brigade and was attached to a Trench Mortar Battery, he would have still be wearing his Connaught Ranger identification (regalia).

In our Canadian system of "shoulder patches", one serving in a trench mortar battery would have a different shoulder patch than a man serving in an infantry battalion. This clearly shows my ignorance of the British system, as I do not know if they even had shoulder patches. For example, the 1st Canadian Division distinguishing patches:

1st_Division_Patches.jpg

I am trying to sort out when there was a link between the Connaught Rangers and 2nd Lt. Hugh VIctor Moore. I did find this information here on the GWF in this post:

My question was whether Lt Moore was a Connaught Ranger Ranger before he went to the Black Watch (Royal HIghlanders) or after? The answer I now see is "after".

What got me checking further on this was the Honour Roll published in the "November 1945 issue of The Ranger". A search of the document for "Moore" revealed only  Lieutenant Ulick Augustus Moore (KIA March 1918) and Lieutenant John Ross Moore (KIA September 1916), but it did not initially reveal  2nd Lieutenant Hugh Victor Moore. He is there, his last name was spelled "Moor" and he is listed immediately above Hugh VIctor Moore. Another case of the "Kipling Effect" where they dropped the "2nd" from the "Lieut.".

mzaj6jn92xr2fhk6g.jpg

Ancestry.ca has him listed as a 2nd Lieutenant of the 4th Battalion, Connaught Rangers (link). It also shows his relationship as Corporal Moore #473, prior to his commission (link). His Medal Index Cards says only "Connaught Rangers, 48 T. M. B." (link). Ireland's Memorial Records 1914-1918 do list him as 4th Batt. attached T.M.B. (link).

The Long Long Trail page tells me that it would have been the "4th (Extra Reserve) Battalion", Connaught Rangers.

See this post dealing with the Unknown Lieutenant of the Royal Munster Fusiliers. The war diary reports on the location of the 48th Trench Mortar Battery in the battle near Epehy:

This aspect needs further analysis.

• 3 months later...

I am also looking at whether there is any significance to the neighbour in Grave 3.C.12, 2nd Lieutenant N. C. Gornell of the 157th Field Coy, Royal Engineers. The LLT tells me they were in the 16th (Irish) Division from August 1915.

The war diary for the 157th Field Coy for that period (pages 165 and 166 of 218) tells m,e that on the 17th No. 1 Section relieved No. 2 section in advanced billets at Ronssoy. That places them in the same area where the Connaught Rangers travelled. On the 20th, No. 2 Coy joined them as reinforcements. On the 21st they reported an intense bombardment at 4:15 am and all men and animals were withdrawn west of Villers Faucon for safety. The dismounted portion followed at mid-day. No. 1 Section is reported at 4:30 pm to be fighting a rearguard action from Ronssoy. It was sometime in this period that 2nd Lt. Gornell is reported killed.

Although there is nothing specific, it shows that another officer of the 16th Division in retreat from Ronssoy, on the same day as Captain Crofton, in the Villers Faucon Communal Cemetery Extension.

Would his Officer File, if it has survived, perhaps tell us any more about his death?

This case remains "hanging". Assuming I was the Review Officer at the CWGC I would be saying that it is a compelling case for Captain Crofton but there are too many missing pieces to the puzzle. The main issue is 2nd Lt Moore of the 48th TMB. The CWGC has him marked "Believed to be buried in this Cemetery" (St. Emilie Valley). To change the report from "compelling" to "conclusive" we would need to remove any doubt that it might be 2nd Lt. Moore in the Villers-Faucon Communal Cemetery Extension. At best, we could go for the same wording for Captain Crofton. 2nd Lt. Moore can not be in both places, so the CWGC would have to make a decision. I think that decision would be "leave it as it is".

Comments?

Pros

Cons

The GRRF refers to an Unknown British Officer of the Connaught Rangers.

Someone added in “Lt.” in ink beside the typed OFFICER on the GRRF.

Captain Crofton and Lieutenant Gilmore are the only missing Connaught Ranger Officers in the war.

There is no COG-BR for this grave so we do not know where the remains were recovered.

Captain Crofton is the only missing Connaught Ranger Officer in the area of Villers-Faucon (see post #9 and post #19). Confirmed in War Diary.

The Headstone Register initially listed the grave as an Unknown British Soldier, which was then changed to Lieutenant.

The regimental web site places Captain Crofton at Ronssoy Wood at the time of his death, so not near either of the cemeteries in consideration. The War Diary reports A and C Coys were on the western edge of Ronssoy Wood, going forward between 3:45 and 5:15 pm.

Boydo’s post #8 indicates that Captain Crofton was killed at St. Emilie not at Ronssoy Wood. There is no primary evidence for that information. Either way, there is no explanation as to how or why Captain Crofton’s remains were taken back to Villers-Faucon, as we do not have a COG-BR.

The only other possible Officer candidate is 2nd Lt H V Moore, 4th Bn attached 48th TMB. He is listed on Special Memorial B.2 in the St. Emilie Valley Cemetery (See GRRF).

There is no proof that the remains of 2nd Lt. Moore are in the St. Emilie Valley Cemetery, so the possibility remains that he is in the Villers-Faucon Communal Cemetery Extension.

2nd Lt. Gornell of the 157th Coy Royal Engineers is buried beside the Unknown Connaught Ranger Officer in Villers-Faucon (post #32). He was in the same location, at the same time, as Captain Crofton.

There are two (2) graves in the Ste. Emilie Valley Cemetery that have Connaught Ranger remains without identification of rank or date (post #13). As such, we cannot rule out those locations for the burial site Captain Crofton.

• 1 month later...

Following up on Luc's good advice on another case to ALWAYS check to see if any of the other UNKNOWN casualties had the regiment of interest (in this case the Connaught Rangers) as a secondary regiment. As most will have noticed now, the CWGC agreed with our suggestion that the downloaded databases should include that detail. 

So here are the new candidates that will need to be checked. I will report back after that is done.

surname forename death 1 rank regiment unit memorial
D'ARCY LIONEL GEORGE 20-12-16 Second Lieutenant Royal Flying Corps 18th Sqdn. ARRAS FLYING SERVICES MEMORIAL
DARNELL CHARLES VERDON 25-04-17 Second Lieutenant Royal Flying Corps 25th Sqdn. ARRAS FLYING SERVICES MEMORIAL
HOWE, MC THOMAS SYDNEY CURZON 17-04-18 Second Lieutenant Royal Air Force 54th Sqdn. ARRAS FLYING SERVICES MEMORIAL
CARRUTH MATTHEW 09-09-16 Second Lieutenant Royal Irish Regiment 4th Bn. THIEPVAL MEMORIAL
STONE CHARLES DOUGLAS FELGATE 09-09-16 Second Lieutenant Royal Irish Regiment 4th Bn.

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

The burial site was at Villers-Faucon which is at 62c.E.22.d.7.8 for reference.

D'Arcy:

http://fotos.crowfile.com/_fotos_/49/67/4821230000051274.jpg?1

Trevor's great work tells us he was shot down by Richtofen after being seen OK near LE TRANSLOY (57c.N.30), combat at NOREUIL (57c.C.10) so he was heading north.

Darnell:

http://fotos.crowfile.com/_fotos_/07/94/5851230000051270.jpg?1

Left from Lens-Arras sector and hot down in flames near WILLERVAL-BAILLEUL (51b.B.9 / 51b.B.22).

Howe:

http://fotos.crowfile.com/_fotos_/69/37/4831130000081630.jpg?1

I am not entirely sure where he was but a number of men of 54 Squadron went down shooting up a dam. If they were all together in the squadron then they were west of BAILLEUL (there are 4 of these named Bailleul) and in combat near MERVILLE (36a.K.29). Obviously not anywhere where the remains were buried.

Carruth & Stone:

That would be the 4th (Extra Reserve) Battalion (LLT Link) and therefore we cannot place that in a battle zone. However both were attached to the 6th Bn Connaught Rangers, the same unit as Captain Crofton. The 6th Bn had marched to Bernafay Wood (57c.S.28) on 7th September (WD page 108 of 399). On the 8th they left Buillemont (57c.T.19) and were preparing for the attack on the 9th (WD page 110 of 399) in the area of Ginchy (57c.T.13) and Leuze Wood (57c.T.21). That would place them closer than any others on the list but 6,000 yards to the northwest. Highly unlikely.

Edited by laughton
Fixed TMC 57c.C.10 and added links for Carruth & Stone

• 1 month later...

Just checking further on Carruth & Stone who were both attached to the 6th Connaught Rangers. There were a total of 13 Connaught Rangers KIA that same day, of which only 2 have known burial locations.

If we expand the date from 7-11 September 1916 there were a total of 33 Connaught Rangers dead. That includes the two above and an additional 8 with known burial locations:

• LA NEUVILLE BRITISH CEMETERY, CORBIE (2), no COG-BR, site of No. 21 Casualty Clearing Station, buried at 62d.I.33.c.1.2
  • ST. SEVER CEMETERY, ROUEN (2), the location of Commonwealth camps and hospitals
  • BOIS-GUILLAUME COMMUNAL CEMETERY (1), the location of No.8 General Hospital
  • CORBIE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION (1), a medical centre 20 miles behind the lines
  • HEILLY STATION CEMETERY (1), Casualty Clearing Stations and Hospital
  • SERRE ROAD CEMETERY No.2 (1), exhumed from 57c.T.20.c.10.78, very close to the remains of Lt. Wright

There is no indication that any of these unknown casualties would be buried at Villers-Faucon where the unknown Connaught Ranger officer (Lt.?) was buried.

On 07/11/2017 at 15:52, laughton said:

MOORE U 22-03-18 Lieutenant 3rd Bn. attd. 6th Bn. Pte. 11105? IV. D. 1. 62c.E450.E65 N ?

We know that there is something wrong with the entry for Lt. U. A. Moore. One of the issues is that he is listed on the COG-BR 2044512 as #11105 Pte. U. A.. Moore, as marked by a cross on the grave.

I finally figured out that there is an error in the trench map coordinate given as 62c E 450 E 650 N, as it is missing the number (sub-sector) after the 62c is recorded. If you go through the other records, you will see that the correct ones report these forms of the coordinates as E.18.800.E.600.N (see COG-BR 2044501), an example of many in the collection. All of those that report the TMC in this format are for 62c.E.18, so it is possible that the few that are incorrectly reported are for this sub-sector as well. If that is a correct assumption, then Lt. Moore's remains were most likely recovered within the 62c.E.18 sub-sector at a location 450 yards east and 650 yards north of the zero point at 62c.E.18.c.0.0. That would place the remains at 62c.E.18.c.45.65, slightly northwest of St. Emilie. There is an entry that is close to this on COG-BR 2044521 and four (4) on COG-BR 2044522. Each has square (i.e. E18) is 1,000 yards by 1,000 yards, each sub-sector (i.e. a, b, c, d) is 500 yards by 500 yards, and each hash mark is 50 yards (see: Get Squared! Use a Trench Map).

This is the COG-BR for Lt. Moore:

doc2044512.JPG

Note: The Canadian "Harriey" listed for 3.F.11 does not exist. We are looking for him elsewhere on the CEFSG.

Edited by laughton
added TMC reference, corrected numbers

The question appears now to be only whether Lieutenant H. V. Moore (not Lt. U. A Moore mentioned above), who was a 6th Connaught Ranger, attached to the 48th Trench Mortar Battery is really in the Ste. Emilie Valley Cemetery. The only evidence for this is the Special Memorial.

The issue:

1. If Lt. H V Moore is in the Ste. Emilie Valley Cemetery then the only other Officer of the 6th Connaught Rangers that is missing is Captain Crofton and so he must be the one in the Villers-Faucon Cemetery.

2. If the CWGC Special Memorial is incorrect and Lt. H V Moore is not in the Ste. Emilie Valley Cemetery, then he is more likely to be the man listed as the unknown Connaught Ranger Officer (then marked in pen "Lt.") in the Villers-Faucon Cemetery. If that was the case, then we have no idea where the remains of Captain Crofton may be located. There is nothing to tie him to the Ste. Emilie Valley Cemetery.

I do not know, at this point, if there is anything in the Officer's Records for Lt. H V Moore that might tell of where he died and/or where he was buried. Some of those records have been very detailed, often with reports written by others, that provide precise details. Something in the records made the GRU/IWGC/CWGC believe that he was buried in the St. Emilie Valley Cemetery, but we do not know what that was.

Any ideas from anyone?

For future reference, the placement of the 48th Trench Mortar Battery was uncovered during the review of the case of the Royal Munster Fusilier Lieutenants, particularly in post #2.

2nd Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers (RMF) - Lieutenant Kidd

Fortunately this document, although handwritten, is very clear for the 2nd Battalion (48th Brigade, 16th “Irish” Division). It is also fortunate that the diary for the 21st onward is available, as the 1st to 20th March 1918 is missing. This is the summary of the main points:

• The long expected enemy offensive started on Thursday 12 March 1918. The 2nd Bn RMF was occupying a series of positions between Epéhy (TMC 62c.F1 and Malassise Farm (62c.F.2.c.5.0). The main line, Ridge Reserve North ran from Malassise Farm to Tetard Wood to the northwest (TMC 62c.F.2.a.8.4). This is clearly shown on the trench map extract. The strong points were in Room Trench to the northeast (TMC 62c.F.2.c to 62c.F.3.a).
  • Lieutenant W. S. Kidd was the “D” Coy Commander, holding a portion of the Ridge Reserve North, with portions of B” and “C” Coys.
  • The enemy bombardment started at 4:30 am, with gas shells on the British batteries and ordinary heavy shells on the trenches. It lasted for 6 hours during which a heavy while fog hung over the British positions (also believed to have been written for the 1st Battalion).
  • The right battalion of the brigade (48th) was outflanked leaving the 2nd Battalion’s right flank exposed, allowing the enemy to attack Malassise Farm from the right rear.
  • The fog had cleared by 11 am but it would appear the enemy had taken the farm and gained possession of Ridge Reserve North at that location. The enemy bombed down the trench (to the northwest) clearing out the British garrison.
  • The enemy infantry was reported advancing past Lempire along the Lempire-Epéhy road, attacking the 2nd Bn, HQ at 6 pm (which had been moved to 500 yds southwest of Epéhy around noon that day).
  • 3 Officers and 50 men held the railway cutting southeast of Epéhy, which was pounded by trench mortars, allowing the enemy to close in on the remnants of the 2nd Battalion. As darkness came the battalion retired to Epéhy.
  • On Friday 22 March 1918, orders came through for all Irish troops (I assume they mean the 16th “Irish” Division) to withdraw to Tincourt. Battalion strength had been reduced from 629 to 200.
  • Lieutenant Kidd was one of two Lieutenants reported missing after the action, along with Major Hartigan and three 2nd Lieutenants. Lieutenant Cahill and two 2nd Lieutenants were reported killed. One 2nd Lieutenant was wounded and missing and the C.O and Adjutant were both wounded (Lt. Col. Ireland and Capt. Waldegrave).
  • It is at this point that there is the report of 2nd Lt. Doorley, with a few of his men returned from their “strong point” (see above). He was accompanied by 2nd Lt. Nash, also of the 2nd Battalion RMF but attached to the 48th Trench Mortar Battery (the mentioned link to the case of Captain Crofton, 6thBn. Conestoga Rangers). It is reported that 2nd Lt. Nash lost his gun and his team in the attack. That may mean that this was also the location of 2ndLieutenant Moore (6th CR attd. 48th TMB), believed to be buried in the Ste. Emilie Valley Cemetery (see this post).
  • During the night of the 22nd-23rd March 1918, the battalion took up a position behind the woods at Tincourt (TMC given as 62c.J.17.b and 62c.J.18.a – I added the “J” which was missing in the war diary).
  • There is a typewritten report of 13 April 1918 attached to the 2nd Battalion war diary of March 1918. It tells of how the 2nd Munsters “ceased to exist”. It is initialled by “M.M.H”, which would be Major M. M. Hartigan, previously reported missing and now telling of his capture. He inadvertently entered a trench occupied by the Germans, which he thought was still held by his men. Lt. H. G. Wheelan and 2nd Lt. P. J. Denahy (my correction on the name) were also taken prisoner. Here the Major reports that Lieutenant W. S. Kidd was severely wounded and taken prisoner.

There is very little in  Moore's officer file at Kew. The file says that he was attached to a Trench Mortar Battery,which may help unit location for the day of his death

(Think this is 2ndRDF and 48 TMB)   The TMB reference might track back to a war diary of some sort.

What blows a very big hole in all of the above is something I had not taken into account-so my apologies for that.

The body was recovered on 22nd June 1919 and the file says that "certain" belongings were found on the officer's body

Now the obvious point is- if that note is in Moore's file, it indicates that Moore was positively identified-or why would the note be in his file???

I can look at the file again for anything I have missed  but it looks as if Moore was positively identified.

The only other option I can see that might add to the  state of knowledge is where that GRU group was operating on that day in 1919- but how to do that is anyone's guess.

When I read the files before, it seemed that Crofton was identified by a process of elimination,  Quite happy to look at the files again for any other reference number,etc I might have missed

For what it is worth.

Moore, Ulick Augustus. (Dublin, Roscommon). Lieutenant. 
Regiment/Service: Connaught Rangers. 
Unit: 3rd Battalion, attached to 6th Battalion. 
Date of death: 22/03/1918. 
Born: Boyle, County Roscommon. 
Death: Killed in action. 
Next of kin, etc: Son of Colonel Maurice Moore and Evelyn Moore, of 5, Sea View Terrace, Donnybrook, Dublin. 
Newspapers/Books etc: Freeman’s Journal, 20/09/1916. The Attack on Guinchy. To the Editor of the Freeman’s Journal. Buswell’s Hotel, Dublin, September, 15th, 1916. Dear Sir-I enclose extracts from two letters from my son, Second Lieutenant Ulick Moore, 6th Connaught Rangers, who was wounded during the successful attack on Guinchy about Sunday last. The references to Captain Sheridan and Lieutenant Colonel Lenox-Conyngham, who was so well known in Castlebar, will interest Mayo people. The latter as one of my oldest and best friends: we served together for many years, and I deeply regret his loss. Though belonging to a Protestant and Unionist family in County Derry, he was broad-minded and tolerant, with strong feelings for his nationalist fellow-countrymen. He was a type of what I hope all Ulstermen will be some day. -Yours truly, Maurice Moore. After Guillemont my son wrote: “I was attached to another company for the last three days: they shelled us with 8 inch shells for two solid hours: I don’t know how I got through it safely, but they say it is hard to kill a bad thing. The losses were terrible, but it was a great victory this is certainly war of the worst kind. We have just brought down a German aeroplane. You will be dreadfully sorry to hear the C. O. Colonel Lenox-Conyngham was killed, and so were we all. We brought back his body and buried him yesterday. Poor Captain Sheridan, my former Company Commander-or Sherry, as we used to call him-was killed also. I am most dreadfully sorry for him: I thought him the nicest chap in the Battalion. Altogether we lost very heavily in officers, but it was a great push.” After Guinchy was taken he wrote on Tuesday last from Worsley Hall Hospital, Worsley, Lancashire:-“I have just arrived here practically straight from the front line via Rouen. I am only slightly wounded: my left eye is bruised, and I think I have a bit of shrapnel about an inch from it. But it is nothing to worry about, and I shall be all right in time. I am afraid the regiment has been pretty badly cut up since it went to the Somme. 
Western People, 23/09/1916. To The Editor Western People. Bushwell’s Hotel, Dublin, September 15th, 1916. Dear Sir-I enclose extracts from two letters from my son, Second Lieutenant Ulick Moore, 6th Connaught Rangers, who was wounded during the successful attack on Guinchy about Sunday last. The references to Captain Sheridan and Lieutenant Colonel Lenox-Conyngham, who was so well known in Castlebar, will interest Mayo people. The latter was one of my best friends we served together for many years, and I deeply regret his loss. Though belonging to a Protestant and Unionist family in County Derry, he was broad-minded and tolerant, with strong feelings for his Nationalist fellow countrymen. He was a type of what I hope all Ulstermen will be some day. Yours truly, Maurice Moore. After Guillemont my son wrote- “I was attached to another Company or the last three days, they shelled us with 8 inch shells for two solid hours. I don’t know how I got through it safely, but they say it is hard to kill a bad thing. The losses were terrible, but it was a great victory, this is certainly war of the worst kind. We have just brought down a German aeroplane. You will be dreadfully sorry to hear that C O Colonel Lenox-Conyngham was killed and so were we all. We brought his body and buried him yesterday. Poor Captain Sheridan, my former Company Commander-or Sherry, as we used to call him-was killed also. I am most dreadfully sorry for him. I thought him the nicest chap in the battalion. Altogether we lost very heavily in officers, but it was a great push”. After Guinchy was taken he wrote on Tuesday last from Worsley Hall Hospital, Lancashire-“I have just arrived here practically straight from the front line via Rouen. I am only slightly wounded, my left eye is bruised and I think I have a bit of shrapnel about an inch from it. But it is nothing to worry about and I shall be all right in no time. I am afraid the Regiment has been pretty cut up since it went to the Somme.” 
Western People, 10/08/1918. Lieutenant Ulick A Moore, 3rd Connaught Rangers. Lieutenant Ulick A Moore, 3rd Connaught Rangers, who has been missing since the 22nd March, 1918, is now reported killed on that date. He was the second son of Colonel Maurice Moore, C. B., and of Evelyn Moore, daughter of John Stratford Hancock, Esq, of Carantrila Park, County Galway, and grandson of the late George Henry Moore, Esq., D. L., M. P., for Mayo. He joined the 3rd Connaught Rangers as 2nd Lieutenant, at Kinsale on November 20th, 1915, and went to France 29th May, 1916, where he was attached to the 6th Connaught Rangers, then under command of Colonel Lenox Conyngham. He was present at the battle of Guillemont, 4th September, 1916, where Colonel Conyngham was killed, and was himself wounded at the capture of Ginchy, 10th September, 1916, with shrapnel in the eye, and sent back to hospital in England. He returned to the 6th Connaught Rangers in France, and remained with them till his death. Early in the morning of 21st March, 1918, the Germans, opening their great offensive, attacked the 5th Army under General Gough, and broke through a Division which was holding the ground on the right of the 16th Irish Division. Pouring through this gap, the Germans took the Irish Division, which was holding the villages of Epehy and l’Empire, in the rear and out in between the two front Brigades and the supporting Brigade. Taken at a disadvantage in this way, the elading Brigades were cut off and nearly destroyed, but the supporting Brigade held their own at St Emillie throughout the 21st. The Connaught Rangers, coming up from Villers Faucon, made a gallant counter-attack on Rosnoy, but the whole division would have been required to effect anything, and very few returned to St Emillie. At 6 o’clock the Dublin’s were ordered to retire, and Colonel Digan instructed Captain Rousses and Lieutenant Moore, with two companies of the Connaught Rangers to hold on at St Emillie and protect the retreat. They held this position throughout the retreat. They held this position throughout the night of the 21st, but on the morning of the 22nd were subjected to a terrible artillery fire. All the other troops seem, as far as is known, to have retired about this time, but these two companies, in obedience to their orders, kept the enemy back and held on till 3. 45 p. m. Lieutenant Moore was the only officer left alive and unwounded with his company. Captain Roussel, a prisoner in Germany, writes to Colonel Moore—“I deeply regret to tell you that your son, Lieutenant Ulick A Moore, had the Honor to be killed in action on march 22nd, at about 8. 45 p. m., while making a splendid defence of his company front. A bullet struck him through the brain, killing him instantly and painlessly, in the position he had held so well since Colonel Digan saw him the previous day, and where he is most likely buried. He was one of my oldest friends in the regiment, and I had a great affection for him, as ha all members of the battalion. He had a most kindly disposition as well as a great contempt for danger, and was cheerful under the worst conditions. He was a very gallant officer. Second Lieutenant H E Hall, also a prisoner in Germany, writes the following account: “I was taken prisoner on the 21st, but Lieutenant Taggart, who is prisoner with me here, and Lieutenant Moore managed to hold out till next day. Then there was a terrific fight, and the Germans came very heavy on them. At the last moment Taggart, Moore, and their men tried to get over the parados of their trench. Just as they got over a hail of machine gun bullets swept over them, and Taggart saw several men fall dead into the trench, but Moore took the rest of the men on, and a moment later Taggart saw him fall. He does not know if he were killed or not, for just then the Germans were completely round them, and they had not time to attend their wounded, but that was the last seen of him, and it is certain he passed into German hands. This took place about 200 yards in front of St Emillie, and 200 yards to the right of the light railway. He was a great soldier, and was one of the few who survived the first day’s fighting. He was a favourite with us all.” Colonel Digan wrote of him- “I knew him well and found him an Honorable gentleman, and a brave officer, anxious to do his duty under the most trying circumstances.” Some men of his company, wounded on the 21st and 22nd and now in hospital, say of him that he was a volunteer for every expedition and could never be quiet at night: it seemed to them, that he always wanted to find out what the Germans were saying and doing in their trenches, because he and Sergeant Sylvestre used to go out together after dark into No Man’ Land and spend the night prowling about, and it might me morning before they would see them again. The last they saw of him was carrying a bottle of rum under his arm giving them tots all round, encouraging them to remain with the machine gun and hold out to the last. If Lieutenant Moore had remained in the trench no doubt he would have been taken prisoner, but he had resolved against surrender. A brother officer said of him when he was reported missing, -“Knowing him as I do, I am sure, unless he is wounded, i. e. did not surrender.” When he came home on leave a few months ago, and before going out for the last time, he got his family motto engraved on his cigarette case: “Forts cadere, cedere non –ctest. ’ A brave man may fall, but will not yield.” That was significant of his spirit. 
Connaught Telegraph, 08/06/1918. Lieutenant Moore, son of Colonel Maurice Moore, C. B., has not been heard of since 21st March. He had been sent to hold a certain point with 30 men: he did so, fighting on until encircled by an oncoming wave of Germans. It is hoped he will be heard from as a prisoner of war. Captain Kilkelly, son of the late Mr J Kilkelly, R. M. and nephew of Colonel Moore, has been killed in action. (Captain Kilkelly listed in this article is Captain John George Joseph Kilkelly, born Ennis County Clare). 
Tuam Herald, 20/04/1918. Colonel Maurice Moore’s only son, Lieutenant Moore, who was in the famous regiment, the Connaught Rangers, in the recent terrific attack on them by the Germans and which gallant regiment, as usual, had to bear the severest strain of the struggle and the brunt of the Boche blow, is missing and it is believed he is a prisoner in Germany. The regiment made a splendid buy ineffectual resistance, as the line broke in other places. Colonel Moore was in command of the Connaught Rangers at Galway for several years and was also in that capacity in the South African War, where under his skilful guidance the Rangers did so extremely well but not better than they always do. It was Colonel Moore that first suggested to the English Army authorities in South Africa that the only way to fight the Boers and beat them was to organise a division of mounted infantry. Two years after he made the suggestion the idea was considered and approved of, and Colonel Moore was commissioned to organise the corps only again to be obstructed by War Office stupidities in giving them the wrong sort of horse. However, he did his best and it was the mounted infantry that helped to win the war. It is a curious commentary on War Office methods that so capable and brainy a soldier should not be utilised in the present war when experience and capacity are so much needed. But strange to add that instead of making instant use of such a trained man he was let walk about and enjoy his pension, while dug out dullards were out in command only to perpetuate one mistake after another. It is brains the Army sadly wants, not bravery, and it is brains they seem to fight off. 
Tuam Herald, 10/08/1918. Heroic Death of Lieutenant Ulick A Moore, 3rd Connaught Rangers. Another Account (From a Correspondent). We deeply regret to learn that Lieutenant Ulick Moore, 3rd Connaught Rangers, who has been missing since the 22nd march, 1918, is now reported killed in that date. He was the second son of Colonel Maurice Moore, C. B, and of Evelyn Moore, daughter of John Stratford Handcock, Esq, of Carantrila Park, County Galway, and grandson of the late George Henry Moore, Esq, DL. M. P, for Mayo. He joined the 3rd Connaught Rangers as Second Lieutenant at Kinsale on November 20th, 1915, and went to France 29th May, 1916, where he was attached to the 6th Connaught Rangers, then under command of Colonel Lenox Conyngham. He was present at the battle of Guillemont 4th September, 1916, where Colonel Conyngham was killed, and was himself wounded at the capture of Ginchy 10th Septmber, 1916, with shrapnel in the eye, and sent back to hospital in England. He returned to the 6th Connaught Rangers, France, and remained there till his death. Early in the morning of 21st march, 1918, the Germans attacked the 5th Army under General Gough and broke through a Division which was holding the ground on the right of the 16th Irish Division. Pouring through this gap the Germans took the Irish Division which was holding the villages of Epehy and l’Empire in rear and cut in between the 2nd front Brigades and the supporting Brigade. Taken at a disadvantage in this way, the leading Brigades were cut off and nearly destroyed, but the supporting Brigade held they own at St Emillie throughout the 21st. The Connaught Rangers coming up from Villars Foucon made a gallant counter-attack on Ronsoy, but a whole Division would have been required to effect anything and very few returned to St Emillie. After 6 o’clock the Dublins were ordered to retire, and Colonel Digan instructed Captain Roussel and Lieutenant Moore, with two Companies of the Connaught Rangers, to hold on at St Emillie and protect the retreat. They held this position throughout the night of 21st and in the morning of 22nd were subjected to a terrible artillery fire. All the other troops seem as far as is known to have retired about this time, but these two Companies in obedience to their orders kept the enemy back and held on till 3. 45 p. m. Lieutenant Moore was the only officer left alive and unwounded with his Company. Captain Rousses, a prisoner in Germany, writes to Colonel Moore: “I deeply regret to tell you that your son, Lieutenant Ulick A Moore, had the Honor to be killed in action on March 22nd, at about 3. 45 p. m. whilst making a splendid defence of his Company front. A bullet struck him through the brain, killing him instantly and painlessly, in the position he had held so well since Colonel Digan saw him the previous day and where he is most likely buried. He was one of my oldest friends in the Regiment and I had a great affection for him, as had all members of the Battalion. He had a most kindly disposition as well as a great contempt for danger and was cheerful under the worst conditions. He was a very gallant officer.” Second Lieutenant H E Hall, a prisoner in Germany, writes the following account: “I was taken prisoner on the 21st, but Lieutenant Taggart, who is a prisoner with me here, and Lieutenant Moore managed to hold out till next day. There was a terrific fight and the Germans came very heavy on them. At the last moment Taggart, Moore and their men tried to get over the parados of their trench. Just as they got over a hail of machine gun bullets swept over them, and Taggart saw several men fall dead into the trench, but Moore took the rest of the men on, and a moment later Taggart saw him fall. He does not know if he were killed or not, for just then the Germans were completely round them and they had not time to attend to their wounded, but that was the last seen of him and it is certain he passed into German hands. This took place about 200 yards in front of St Emillie and 200 yards to the right of the light railway. He was a great soldier and was one of the few who survived with first day’s fighting: he was a favourite with us all.” Colonel Digan wrote: “I knew him well and proved him an Honorable and courteous gentleman and a brave officer anxious to do his duty under the most trying circumstances.” Some men of his company, wounded on the 21st and 22nd, and now in hospital, say of him that he was a volunteer for every expedition and could never be quiet at night: it seemed to them that he always wanted to find out what the Germans were saying and doing in their trenches, because he and Sergeant Sylvestre used to go out together after dark in no-man’s land and spend the night prowling about, and it might be morning before they would see them again. The last they saw of him was carrying a bottle of rum under his arm and giving them tots all round, encouraging them to remain with the machine gun and hold out to the last. He was a pupil of Father Sweetman at Gorey and of Pearse at St Enda. If Lieutenant Moore had remained in the trench, no doubt he would have been taken prisoner, but he had resolved against surrender. A brother officer said of him when he was reported missing: “Knowing him as I do, I am sure, unless he is wounded, he did not surrender.” When he came home on leave a few months ago, and before going out for the last time, he got his family motto engraved on his cigarette case: “Fortis cadere, cedere non potest: A brave man may fall but will not yield.” That was significant of his intention. 
Tuam Herald, 28/09/1918. The Gallant Moore Family. Some weeks ago we announced with regret the death in action under circumstances of brilliant bravery of Lieutenant Moore, the second son of Colonel Maurice Moore, ex-Colonel the Connaught Rangers. This fine young fellow died as a courageous Connaught man would die at the head of a division of his regiment the Connaught Rangers and in the most perilous part of the field and at the post of greatest danger-died like a true hero and an Irishman. The spirit of his family, name and race are seen in the remarkable fact that this very week his only surviving brother, the only son and child of Colonel and Mrs Moore, has come back from America and gone to fight in France. Such proof of bravery, and courage are remarkable and creditable, and they show that the old spirit that dared and did much in the past and in the recent present are not yet dead in our midst despite the cold water of our neutrality. We sincerely hope he may return to his parents safe and with Honors as he deserves to. 
Tuam Herald, 01/06/1918. Lieutenant Moore. Lieutenant Moore of the Connaught Rangers, son of Colonel Maurice Moore, ex-Colonel of that splendid regiment, has been missing since the 21st March, and it is believed that he is a prisoner of war. His conduct on the occasion of his capture have been described by a wounded soldier to a friend, and is such as to reflect credit on his name and country. During that awful week when the German offensive was so crushing Lieutenant Moore with a company of thirty men and a gun was sent to keep a certain spot and they held on to it like grim death. On and one they went fighting until in the end the rest of the Army had retired and the 30 rangers were alone. Still, nothing undaunted, amid the encircling sea of Huns the Rangers stood firm, fighting on and dauntless to the end. It was in such circumstances that the gallant Lieutenant Moore who was in command found himself, when he was it is believed, made a prisoner. This wounded soldier belonging to another regiment but of the same camp spoke of him with affection and regard, and mentioned his agreeable manner, his cheery disposition, his desire to please and to help and amuse. And this brave young Mayo man (whose mother is a Tuam lady, Miss Handcock of Carantrila) is only twenty-one years of age, and has already had nearly four years experience of the war in all its grimmest realities. 
Notes- Indexed in the 1911 Census under Mick Augustin Moore. 
Grave/Memorial: IV. D. 1. 
Cemetery: Ste Emilie Cemetery, France. 

Tom- beannachtai

A question:    These very helpful   chunks from the Irish papers add a lot to tracking down what happened to him.  Something must have happened  for the Tuam Herald to  report he was "now killed" in August 1918- but his officer file does not say what this might be.  

It strikes me that there might have been something in the Tuam Herald  sometime after 22nd June 1919 -after his family had belongings returned and he was confirmed dead.  Did you perchance take your scrutiny of Tuam Herald that far forward???

Update:    It looks as though  the Tuam herald update of 10th August 1918 is based  on information received by the family from ICRC on or shortly after 5th August 1918. His ICRC card  suggests that  information came to hand by way of statement from a man called Davis.   This raises 2 questions:

1)  "Davis"-at a guess- was a POW- should be possible to trace him and any debrief report when returned.

2)  At present, we have the ICRC  index cards but personally (Due to my inherent stupidity) I have no idea whether the ICRC has retained other paper records  which have not been digitised.  I hope our colleague Siege Gunner may enlighten us on that- as I think he may know.

(And the references on the cards suggest that 3 POWs were interviewed in July 1918)

file front side

Edited by Guest

Sorry GUEST, I did go as far as 1919 in the Tuam Herald but I did not find any mention of him. Anything about him in the newspapers are included in his readout. Nothing in 1919.

Cheers.

Tom.

Great stuff Mike and Tom. I have to know digest all that information ..... done.

The ICRC card shown above is for Lt. U. A. Moore (known burial Ste. Emilie 4.D.1) and we are looking for Lt. H. V. Moore (Ste. Emilie, Special Memorial). That may be what was intended, as I have to check if Tom is dealing with UA or HV. Correct, all the new information was for U A Moore.

Mike's post #39 was about HV as he was the one attached to the 48th TMB from the 6th Connaught Rangers. If you can get me copies of the pages, that would be appreciated. That was of great benefit in the recent case of the 3 Royal Welsh Fusiliers (this link). We used that as key evidence in that report (PDF file).

The key item in Mike's comment was:

The body was recovered on 22nd June 1919 and the file says that "certain" belongings were found on the officer's body

I assume that was in the Officer's File? It might be possible to figure out what labour company or GRU was working that area on 22 June 1919. For example, we know from COG-BR 2044502 that the 83 Labour Company was doing the work at Ste. Emilie on 21 July 1919.

I also must check all the Ste. Emilie records for the UBS and UBO, to examine those such as COG-BR 2044513 that has a UBO in 3.D.11 from the approximate location.

For reference here is the GRRG for H V Moore on the Special Memorial. I will check all those that have a special memorial in Ste. Emilie and try and match them to the correct graves, something I had thought of doing until just now - but I have to run!

doc2044449.JPG

Hugh Victor. (Cavan, Westmeath). Second Lieutenant. Connaught Rangers. Attached to the 48th Trench Mortar Battery, formerly with the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders). 
Date of 
Death: 21/03/1918.
Born: Cavan. 
Residence: 10 Auburn Terrace, Athlone, County Westmeath-Probate. 
Death: Killed in action. 
Next of kin, etc: Son of James and Harriet Moore, of 10, Auburn Terrace, Athlone. 
Newspapers/Books etc: Irish Independent; Second Lieutenant H V Moore, Connaughts, only son of Mr J Moore, Auburn Terrace, Athlone, Chief Organiser of I. A. O. S., for Connaught, had been before joining the Army an official of the CDB., and a good Rugby player. 
Irish Times. Moore-March 21, killed in action, Hugh Victor Moore, Second Lieutenant Connaught Rangers, son of Mr and Mrs J Moore, 10 Auburn Terrace, Athlone. 
The Weekly Irish Times. Ireland’s Roll of Honour. April 6, 1918. Second Lieutenant H V Moore, Connaught angers, was killed in action on March 21st. he was the only son of Mr and Mrs J Moore, Auburn Terrace, Athlone 
Irish Times. Moore-March 21, killed in action, Hugh Victor Moore, Second Lieutenant, Connaught Rangers, son of Mr and Mrs J Moore, 10 Auburn Terrace, Athlone. 
Freeman’s Journal, 05/04/1918. Irish Officers Killed. Lieutenant H V Moore, Connaught Rangers, son of Mr J Moore, Auburn Terrace, Athlone, chief organiser for Connaught of the I. A. O. S., has been killed in action. He was an official of the Congested Districts Board, and was educated at Wesley College. He was well known in Rugby footfall circles. 
Grave/Memorial: Special Memorial B 2. 
Cemetery: Ste Emilie Cemetery, France

Edited by museumtom

Phew!!   

Best if I go and get both files out again, so that I am sure which is which.  Its is not uncommon for docs, relating to one fallen officer end up in the file for another.  May get done either Thurs. or Tues of next week. Apologies if I have sowed the seeds of confusion

• 10 months later...

I had put this file "on hold" for some time as it appeared there was not a strong enough case to go forward with the Unknown Connaught Rangers Officer in Villers Faucon. Other files brought me back to this case in 2019, along with the need to learn a lot more about what took place in the area on or about 21 March 1918 (Operation Michael). As a Canadian, this was not one of the periods that was highlighted in our war history, as we had only a fringe participation with the Motor Machine Gun Brigades and Cavalry that rushed to plug holes in the British lines.

Mike's  comment about Moore in Post #39 that the file says that "certain" belongings were found on the officer's body. We need to be certain if that was for:

• Hugh Victor Moore - the 2nd Lieutenant of the 6th Bn Connaught Rangers attached to the 48th Trench Mortar Battery on the Special Memorial "Believed to Be"
  • Ulick Augustus Moore - the Lieutenant of the 3rd Battalion (Reserve) Connaught Rangers attached to the 6th Battalion, buried in 4.D.1

Both of these men are associated with the Ste. Emilie Cemetery, Villers-Faucon. As to whether it was possible that men of the 6th Battalion Connaught Rangers could be found in an area where they would be buried in this area, the cemetery records clearly say "YES!" (see spreadsheet Post #13). These are the men, all listed as 6th Battalion, except for the two Moore Officer's who have the "attached" components as noted above. Note that if you had downloaded the spreadsheet and not checked, you would not know that Huch Victor Moore was attached to the 48th TMB (CWGC LINK). Many of the men were originally in the older cemetery at Ste. Emilie. A few like Kennedy and Summers were further west at Saulcourt.

We then have to take a step back and look at the "UNKNOWN BRITISH OFFICER (Lt.)" in the Villers-Faucon Communal Cemetery (GRRF 2059299). If that is correct, then that has to be 2nd Lt. Hugh Victor Moore, as he is the only one that is missing that was a Lieutenant, if we apply the "Kipling Effect" that they did not always state the true rank. That then means that Captain Crofton could be one of the men that are UNKNOWN and in the Ste. Emilie Valley Cemetery. There are UBO's in:

Sadly, I think it comes down to a case that has to be abandoned. There are just too many issues that cannot be addressed.