Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Broadmarsh Crater

CCMP

Looking for some help, In May 1916 the 10th Bn. Cheshire Regiment were near to Vimy. On the 8th May 1916 the war diary states that at 8:15pm a mine was exploded in front of their right company sector, they occupied the lip and three posts were established The following day GUERIN and support trenches were damaged. They were that evening relieved by the 3rd Worcester's. On the 17th may they returned to the line again taking over from the 3rd Worcester's. On the 18th the four posts were attacked, the enemy drove the posts and succeeded in taking the crater posts (BROADMARSH) the following day a counter attack was made and posts recaptured.

So I am trying to find out if  the mine exploded on the 8th May 1916 was that the crater that became known as BROADMARSH?  Does anyway have a trench map showing where GUERIN and the supporting trenches were in relation to BROADMARSH crater? thanks.

I’ll have look at the regimental history when I get home, 

33 minutes ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

I’ll have look at the regimental history when I get home, 

Thanks that would be great, I do have one map, its shows Broadmarsh Crater, the only trench named near it though is Lassalle Ave

Guerin trench is mentioned in Nigel Cave's book "Vimy Ridge", in the Battleground Europe series. Broadmarsh crater was blown much earlier I believe. It might pay to get hold of a copy of the said book. Here is an extract found online which mentions Guerin.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=vc-kAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA49&lpg=PA49&dq=Guerin+trench&source=bl&ots=1kWbV9bPrJ&sig=xM1H3WG6ywLpuReLpK-KVYFVEEQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9hcak7Z_XAhXC2BoKHV1RB48Q6AEIQjAK#v=onepage&q=Guerin trench&f=false

• 4 years later...

This answer may be to late but if it is of help my uncle Sjt Frederick Stafford was killed in Broadmarsh Crater on 21th May 1916 he was with the 10th Bt of the Cheshire Regiment. I have a copy of the Cheshire regiment Diary unto and including 23rd May. I have attached a copy of the last page which refers to Guerin and the 3rd Worcesters. Hope this helps.

I have no photograph of my uncle and would welcome any suggestions of where I could try to get hold of one.

Regards

Bennet Stafford

Scan 2022-8-24 16.37.41.pdf

• Admin

@CCMP hasn’t visited the forum for 5 years, but with my luck, my tag will alert them to your post. Re a photo, best bet is local newspapers.