Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Wendy Moore

Endell Street Military Hospitl

Wendy Moore

Can anyone tell me whether any War Office records survive which detail the distribution of patients to hospitals in England, specifically London? I know the system was organised by Gen William Donovan AMS, dep-dir med services, embarkation. I'm trying to find out more detail about which patients were sent to Endell Street Military Hospital in London. I do have lots of individual names of soldiers who were treated there - but happy to receive any more! I'm trying to build up a picture of which patients went there, from where, at different times. I suspect the official records have been destroyed. But if there are any accounts or other descriptions of the system anyone could suggest i would be grateful. 

kenf48
4 hours ago, Wendy Moore said:

Can anyone tell me whether any War Office records survive which detail the distribution of patients to hospitals in England, specifically London? I know the system was organised by Gen William Donovan AMS, dep-dir med services, embarkation. I'm trying to find out more detail about which patients were sent to Endell Street Military Hospital in London. I do have lots of individual names of soldiers who were treated there - but happy to receive any more! I'm trying to build up a picture of which patients went there, from where, at different times. I suspect the official records have been destroyed. But if there are any accounts or other descriptions of the system anyone could suggest i would be grateful. 

Hi, you may wish to change the title of your thread to reflect your interest rather than your name.

If you have not already seen it from the OH:- 

'The Reception, Distribution and Disposal of Sick and Wounded in the United Kingdom' is Chapter VI Volume 1 of Medical Services General History

The volume can be downloaded on the web see this thread

Endell Street MH is not specifically mentioned I guess it was within London District

There is an extensive earlier thread on the hospital which indicates a considerable amount of research by some members, changing the thread title may attract their interest and answer your query.  From the history cited in the first post it appears there were many orthopaedic cases as well as what would probably be termed nowadays as 'General Surgery'.

Ken

Edited by kenf48

Maureene

Online book

Women as Army Surgeons; being the history of the Women's Hospital Corps in Paris, Wimereux and Endell Street, September 1914-October 1919 by Flora Murray 1920 Archive.org.

As mentioned in the post above

History of the Great War Based on Official Documents: Medical Services; General History by G W Macpherson , Volume I,  Chapter VI page 96

The Reception, Distribution and Disposal of Sick and Wounded in the United Kingdom'

https://archive.org/stream/medicalservicesg01macpuoft#page/96/mode/2up

Cheers

Maureen

Wendy Moore

HI thanks everyone. I was reading Chapter IV of the Medical Services History yesterday in fact. It is helpful in explaining the system. I've also read the other threads on Endell Street and Flora Murray's book. I'm quite far on with my research but thanks for all the suggestions anyway. 

I'm specifically keen to know if there are any official records from the Embarkation department surviving. I want to know if I can trace actual patients who ended up at Endell Street and also find some figures on the numbers arriving on particular days - where they came from and what their injuries were. Probably a long shot I know. 

I will post this again with a different title as suggested.