Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of 35th Division most notably 203rd RE Jun-Oct 1918

USAF Engineer Ret.

I'm just getting started in researching my grandfathers service. Corporal Robert Elphinstone arrived in France on 1 Jun 18 with the 203rd Field Co, RE and was wounded in the leg on 20 Sep 18. I'm attempting to piece together his journey during that time frame. Any info steering me to locations of that unit would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

It is also on Ancestry, but please dont' ask for a link - it was hard enough just finding it. I searched by putting 2476 in the keyword box.

Your grandfather's wounding does get a mention.

Phil

Absolutely fascinating. Just spent last hour looking through 203rd daily reports and as a retired MSgt in the USAF Engineers & RED HORSE Squadrons I felt like I was there with him! Thanks so much for the assistance and wish I paid more attention to his stories when I was a kid!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Looking through the two diaries, 203 FC seems to include quite a few map references, but no actual maps, The CRE diary does though. If you were to need any help in interpreting the references there is good advice here. In the diary for example it says that on 18th September 1918 3 sections were working at Bedford House Stables at I.26.a.8.1. This link should take you to a map (albeit from June 1917) where I've centred square I.26. If you use the transparency slider you can see how the area fits into the modern landscape. Google Earth should also allow you to take a virtual walk around the area.

Depending on how much more contextual information you would like, it might be worth getting a copy of the diary for 35 Division Headquarters (General Staff). For the period you are interested in, it appears to be split into two parts (here and here) at the National Archives. It will also be on Ancestry - search page here. Whilst field companies were not under infantry brigade command, there seems to have often been an 'association' between a specific field company and a specific brigade. If that appears to be the case for 203 FC, it might also be worth getting a copy of the Infantry Brigade HQ diary - National Archives search page here, or from Ancestry (search page previously linked). You can download images from Ancestry, but it's a real pain as you only do it a page at a time. The downloads from the National Archives come as continuous pdf files.

There is an ORBAT for 35 Division here

Regards

Chris

Chris thank you so very much! Maybe after my research I could talk my brothers into a trip over to area he was wounded on 28 Sep 2018 for 100th anniversary!

Dave