Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Augusta Victoria Hospital

Gareth Davies

I may have dreamed it but I am pretty sure that I have seen a photograph of Allenby and his staff (or maybe just his staff) at the Augusta Victoria Hospital in Jerusalem, taken some time in December 1917 (although it could easily have been 1918).  I have trawled through my books and also tried to find it online but I have had no success.  

Can anyone help me find this photograph please?  

Of course. 

Yes.

Gareth,

Do you mean this one? This was taken in the backyard of Augusta Victoria, February 1918, looking to the east,

to the battlefields of the Judean Desert (That were a part of the action of the Capture of Jericho).

The structure still stands. I'm taking people there every once in a while. 

Eran

image.png.6e582a0906d0c61510211cf0fa10ef8f.png

see also post No.4 here 

The photograph must have been taken in about March 1918 as the guest of honour being shown around is HRH The Duke of Connaught

quote - From left to right are: Sir Edmund Allenby the Bishop of Jerusalem, Lieutenant Colonel Murray, Military Secretary to His Royal Highness the Duke of Connaught, Major General J S M Shea, Sir E S Bulfin, General Sir Harry Chauvel and Sir Philip Chetwode. Sir Philip is describing the battle which ended in the capture of Jericho.

(This photograph was taken by the American Official Photographer and presented to Sir Harry Chauvel by Mr Lowell Thomas).

2 hours ago, Eran Tearosh said:

Gareth,

Do you mean this one? This was taken in the backyard of Augusta Victoria, February 1918, looking to the east,

to the battlefields of the Judean Desert (That were a part of the action of the Capture of Jericho).

The structure still stands. I'm taking people there every once in a while. 

Eran

image.png.6e582a0906d0c61510211cf0fa10ef8f.png

Yes Eran, that's the one. Thank you. 

29 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

see also post No.4 here 

The photograph must have been taken in about March 1918 as the guest of honour being shown around is HRH The Duke of Connaught

quote - From left to right are: Sir Edmund Allenby the Bishop of Jerusalem, Lieutenant Colonel Murray, Military Secretary to His Royal Highness the Duke of Connaught, Major General J S M Shea, Sir E S Bulfin, General Sir Harry Chauvel and Sir Philip Chetwode. Sir Philip is describing the battle which ended in the capture of Jericho.

(This photograph was taken by the American Official Photographer and presented to Sir Harry Chauvel by Mr Lowell Thomas).

Thank you Michael.