Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No 23 Ambulance Train

gpashe

Hi

I have just discovered the original contract that my grandfather received when he signed up for a further 12 month in January 1917 - he was assigned to the No 23 Ambulance Train (which was heretofore never known).

I am wondering if there are any records of this ambulance train - especially for 1917.

IMG_6945.jpg

Edited by gpashe
Typo

There is a War Diary available at Kew, but it has not yet been digitised so you cannot download it online.

WO 95/4137 22 Ambulance Train 1915 Aug. - 1918 Jan.  
WO 95/4137 22 Ambulance Train 1918 June - 1919 Jan.  
WO 95/4137 23 Ambulance Train 1916 Mar. - 1919 Apr.  
WO 95/4137 24 Ambulance Train 1915 Sept. - 1919 Apr.  
WO 95/4137 25 Ambulance Train 1916 Mar. - 1919 Apr.  

Ron

Available to download for £3.50.  The diary for 1918 is also available.

Peter

Reference: WO 95/4137/3
Description: Lines of Communication Troops. 23 Ambulance Train
Note: The pages in this item are part of a larger record (piece). The record has been split into smaller parts during the digitisation process.
Date: 1916 Mar - 1917 Dec

Not a direct answer, but don't forget the National Railway Museum  for some background info. for example

NRM Resource sheet.

Image of interior of No. 23

Scarlett Finders diary entry references to No.23 :

MayDecember 1917 (TNA, WO95/3990)

June 1918  ("  ")

Edited by TGM
typo

Many thanks for these suggestions and speedy replies. Keep them coming...

Yes I noticed the typo in the title as soon as I posted it - but could not figure how to change it subsequently )-:

Thanks petwes

I did not know that the digitisation process had reached the L of C yet!

Ron

• Admin

I have a copy of No 23 AT and I can confirm that Captain Ashe signs off every sheet of the war diary and includes a hand written letter from him to the base record office submitting said diary for each month e.g.

Regards

Russ

AT 23.JPG

It all eventually took its toll on my grandfather - the strain and exhaustion as OC led to him suffering a breakdown just after Christmas 1917 and he was returned to UK and then eventually to Dublin. He was still in his 20s. PTSD was not recognised back then and treatment for neurasthenia was only in its infancy. There is no evidence that any form of counselling or on-going treatment was made available once he was deemed to be unfit to return to active duty.

• Admin
22 hours ago, gpashe said:

Russ did you get that record from Kew via the reference given above? How many pages does it run to?

Greg

That image I posted was a page from the piece mentioned in post #3 above for the AT 23 War Diary covering the period between March 1916 to Dec 1917, and which is available for download from The National Archives for £3.50.

That piece runs for circa 100 pages covering the above-mentioned period. It is a daily account of the locations of AT 23 and the numbers of patients carried.

Regards

Russ

I have purchased and downloaded it. Everything my grandfather said about the train constantly breaking down seems true, and the volume of wounded carried too. It really must have been quite hellish on those trains.