Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HG and LU Henderson

Peterhastie

Could someone do a look up please in "Airmen Died in the Great War" for

Lewis Umphrey Henderson, died 29/10/1918 and

Henry Girling Henderson, died 29/09/1918.

Henderson, Sgt Henry Girling (1136) 63 Tr Sqn, Pilot Kwf 29/09/1918 buried at Newcastle-upon-Tyne (St Nicholas) Northumb

kwf in Camel E1574

Henderson, 2nd/Lt Lewis H. Died 29/10/1918.  Buried at Newcastle-upon-Tyne (St Nicholas) Northumb. 

Died 

The birth registry gives the name as "Lewis Humphrey Henderson" rather than "Umphrey."  The place of registration,

Newcastle,  corresponds with the location of his death at home, from natural causes.  His birth was registered in 1894.

Josquin

Lewis Umphrey Henderson:

http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/pages/raf_vault.php?&RAF-titel=Henderson%2C L.U.&van=1

JP

Edit: His Medal Index Catd is on ancestry.

Edit: Registration Death Index -

Name:  Lewis U Henderson

Death Age:  24

Birth Date:  abt 1894

Registration Date:  Dec 1918

Registration district:  Reading

Edited by helpjpl

6 hours ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

Henderson, Sgt Henry Girling (1136) 63 Tr Sqn, Pilot Kwf 29/09/1918 buried at Newcastle-upon-Tyne (St Nicholas) Northumb

kwf in Camel E1574

Henderson, 2nd/Lt Lewis H. Died 29/10/1918.  Buried at Newcastle-upon-Tyne (St Nicholas) Northumb. 

Died 

The engine of Camel E1574 choked at 80 feet during take off from Joyce Green.  The aeroplane then stalled during a turn before spinning into the ground.

Gareth

H.G. Henderson and L.U. (or L.H.) Henderson appear to be brothers.  The 1901 Census lists Robert & Mary A. Henderson, of

Newcastle On Tyne, Northumberland, as having several children, among them Lewis T.H., aged 7 & Henry G., aged 4, both born at Newcastle.

Henry Girling Henderson, son of Robert & Mary Anna Henderson, was Christened on 15 September 1897, at Elswick,

Northumberland, and his birth was registered at Newcastle during the 1st Quarter of 1897  (his RAF service record states

his birthdate as 5 January 1896, but the BMD and Census verify the correct year as 1897).  Lewis' RAF service record gives

a 6 January 1894 birthdate and gives his name as "Lewis Umphrey Henderson,"  and as "Lewis U." in his marriage registration (to Janet L.

Smith at Tynemouth in 4th Quarter 1917) and in his death registry (at Reading, Berkshire in 4th Quarter 1918).  However, the RAF

Museum casualty cards include two three different cards, two for "Lewis Umphrey Henderson" and one for "Lewis H. Henderson,"

with L.U. and L.H. having the same death date written on the cards (not the transcriptions)--29 October 1918.  The casualty cards

also list Robert Henderson, of Newcastle, as the father of L.U. and H.G., one of the cards also stating that L.U. died of influenza

and pneumonia at No. 4 War Hospital, at Reading, on 29 October 1918.  Given the biographical specifics I have stated, I suggest

that Lewis' birth name was Lewis Humphrey Henderson (or Lewis Humphrey T. Henderson), as indicated by his birth registration

and the 1901 Census, but that he chose to refer to himself as Lewis Umphrey Henderson as an adult.  One of Lewis' casualty

cards states that he was a Second Lieutenant and an Assistant Instructor in the R.A.F. at the time of his death.  Henry has a'

RAF service record that lists him as "Cadet," so he had attained this status though his official rank appears to have been Sergeant,

as per his casualty card   As Dolphin indicated, both airmen were buried at Newcastle--their birthplace.

Josquin

Edited by josquin

2 hours ago, josquin said:

As Dolphin indicated, both airmen were buried at Newcastle--their birthplace.

Josquin

Not me - I only supplied information on the crash of Camel E1574.

Gareth

2 hours ago, josquin said:

H.G. Henderson and L.U. (or L.H.) Henderson appear to be brothers.  The 1901 Census lists Robert & Mary A. Henderson, of

Newcastle On Tyne, Northumberland, as having several children, among them Lewis T.H., aged 7 & Henry G., aged 4, both born at Newcastle.

Henry Girling Henderson, son of Robert & Mary Anna Henderson, was Christened on 15 September 1897, at Elswick,

Northumberland, and his birth was registered at Newcastle during the 1st Quarter of 1897  (his RAF service record states

his birthdate as 5 January 1896, but the BMD and Census verify the correct year as 1897).  Lewis' RAF service record gives

a 6 January 1894 birthdate and gives his name as "Lewis Umphrey Henderson,"  and as "Lewis U." in his marriage registration (to Janet L.

Smith at Tynemouth in 4th Quarter 1917) and in his death registry (at Reading, Berkshire in 4th Quarter 1918).  However, the RAF

Museum casualty cards include two three different cards, two for "Lewis Umphrey Henderson" and one for "Lewis H. Henderson,"

with L.U. and L.H. having the same death date written on the cards (not the transcriptions)--29 October 1918.  The casualty cards

also list Robert Henderson, of Newcastle, as the father of L.U. and H.G., one of the cards also stating that L.U. died of influenza

and pneumonia at No. 4 War Hospital, at Reading, on 29 October 1918.  Given the biographical specifics I have stated, I suggest

that Lewis' birth name was Lewis Humphrey Henderson (or Lewis Humphrey T. Henderson), as indicated by his birth registration

and the 1901 Census, but that he chose to refer to himself as Lewis Umphrey Henderson as an adult.  One of Lewis' casualty

cards states that he was a Second Lieutenant and an Assistant Instructor in the R.A.F. at the time of his death.  Henry has a'

RAF service record that lists him as "Cadet," so he had attained this status though his official rank appears to have been Sergeant,

as per his casualty card   As Dolphin indicated, both airmen were buried at Newcastle--their birthplace.

Josquin

1911 Census:

Lewis Umphrey Henderson (17) Clerk living at home in Newcastle upon Tyne with father Robert, mother Mary Anna and siblings Sarah Agatha, Henry Girling, Robert William, and Annie Ethel.

JP

1 hour ago, Dolphin said:

Not me - I only supplied information on the crash of Camel E1574.

Gareth

Gareth,

My apologies, as the source was The Trenchrat22 and your post quoted him.

Josquin

• 10 months later...

Hi i'm new to this site, i was also researching Lewis Umphrey Henderson and discovered his wife Janet Lilian Smith also died on the 4th quarter of 1918 in Reading, Berkshire.

Very strange.

Graham.