Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
MrSwan

Portuguese war effort

ianjonesncl
On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:41, MrSwan said:

Pete/Ian - thank you for the info about the Richebourgh Portuguese cemetery, of which neither of us was aware. Would you know if there is a register of those buried there, as we find in CWGC cemeteries? Or is there anything online?

Jonathan

Jonathan

I did not look for a cemetery book.

We were visiting the Indian Memorial, saw the cemetery nearby and observed that the headstones were not CWGC. It was a surprise that it was a Portuguese cemetery as up to that point I had no idea they served on the Western Front, nor that their two Divisions were under British Command. Further interest arose from the Independent Artillery Corps and their rail guns.

I am not sure if you are you friend are into Facebook. There is a group on their which is dedicated to Portugal in WW1.

Artilharia na Guerra 1914-1918

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1676442455931985/

Ian

Terry_Reeves

Just of interest, men from 1st Portuguese Railway Company who were under command of No1 Group Railway Construction Companies R.E., receive gallantry awards in connection with repairs in the St Pol area in April 1918:

MC  -  Lt Joao Carlos Alvares

MM -  327 Sgt Manoel Lopez

294 Cpl Jose  ??

296 Cpl Manoel Mendes Cunha.

No 3 Portuguese Railway Company also serve with the group.

TR

MrSwan

Thanks all for your continued interest in this apparently little known subject. My friend has now been inspired to do some research of his own - in Portuguese - and I will post if we find anything of interest.

michel knockaert

Hello all !

in 2008, I spoke yet of that...

and I am always interested by the question...

Michel

michel knockaert

Hello !

You can also read this book !

Well, it's in french... and it contains german point of view about P.E.F.

Michel

P1060094.JPG

phil andrade

Ten years ago I attended the Passchendaele conference in Ypres, then commemorating the ninetieth anniversary.

I decided to engage the help of an amateur Belgian battlefield guide so that I could tour the “ Forgotten Front “.

It was my intention to get the account of someone who was not British ; I wanted to gain a perspective from the German point of view.

My own surname is of Portuguese provenance, so I was determined to visit that cemetery near Neuve Chapelle.

It was a rewarding and poignant experience. I was surprised to see that a significant number of graves were dated 21st March 1918, although, obviously,  the vast majority were dated 9th April . This gives an indication of how many diversionary and subsidiary actions are carried out on sectors other than the main one when a major offensive is launched.

Our guide produced a wonderful array of photographs and postcards kept by German soldiers, and there were some showing the Portuguese soldiers who were captured.  They were clearly in a deplorable condition, some of them looking like ragged scarecrows.

The guide was Flemish, an enthusiastic collector of German regimental histories, and an admirer of the German people of that time.

Phil

Edited by phil andrade

Maureene

Podcast:  Mentioned In Dispatches by Western Front Association

Ep90 – The Portuguese Expeditionary Force in WW1 – Miguel Freire

https://play.acast.com/s/mentionedindispatches/ep90-the-portuguese-expeditionary-force-in-ww1-mig

Portuguese Army officer Miguel Freire talks about the role of the Portuguese Expeditionary Force on the Western Front during WW1.

Cheers

Maureen

bierast

Here's a previous (illustrated) thread of mine about the major raid by Saxon 219. Inf. Div. against the Portuguese at Neuve Chapelle on 14th August 1917: