Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Woman's Memorial Plaque

Nichola Stewart

21 hours ago, kenf48 said:

She is becoming very elusive!  I can't see her death registered on either Scotland's People or the GRO for England and Wales

Ken

Surname  First name(s)  Age  District  Vol  Page 

Deaths Dec 1918   (>99%)
Menelaws  Dreena G  41  St.Geo.H.Sq.  1a 1045  

1 hour ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Sorry that I am late to this string. I have yet to research this woman but she is one of the ladies of which I an aware. She was a Voluntary Aid Detachment member. She may or may not have been nursing as the VADs did other duties, too. The fact that a memorial plaque was issued would indicate that she may have completed some of her service overseas. I have not found a BRCS record card as yet but this is not unusual. Some sources show her as Diana Menelaws and that is how she is shown on the York Minster panels. As part of my research I would welcome a photograph of the memorial plaque that I can use in my ongoing Register.

Sorry for my ignorance, what are the York Minster panels?

59 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Sorry that I am late to this string. I have yet to research this woman but she is one of the ladies of which I an aware. She was a Voluntary Aid Detachment member. She may or may not have been nursing as the VADs did other duties, too. The fact that a memorial plaque was issued would indicate that she may have completed some of her service overseas. I have not found a BRCS record card as yet but this is not unusual. Some sources show her as Diana Menelaws and that is how she is shown on the York Minster panels. As part of my research I would welcome a photograph of the memorial plaque that I can use in my ongoing Register.

Her death certificate is in the national archives, and is under Dreena G Menelaws. SNWM under Diana G Menelaws, marriage certificate Drena G Galloway and the death plaque Andrina Menelawes. She appears to have signed her name as Drina on her marriage certificate - so likely called herself and was known as Drina. She would be 41 when she died and a married (well off) lady with no children. Most likely doing her patriotic duty either directly through the Scottish Red Cross Society  or possibly volunteering with a group from her church. 

Jim as you say she may have been something else  related and not strictly a hands on nurse. 

9 minutes ago, Nichola Stewart said:

Sorry for my ignorance, what are the York Minster panels?

At the end of WW1 it was felt that women who served their country and died whilst doing so should be commemorated. At the far end of York Minster are a series of 12 cupboards built for the purpose. These are, I believe, stained pine and if one opens the door the listing of women who died, generally in alphabetical order under the organisation that they worked for, can be found. As Diana Menelaws, your ancester is named in the fifth cupboard under "members of Voluntary Aid Detachment who lost their lives on active service".

She also is listed in Registers of Soldiers effects. Definitely her as her war gratuity went to her husband William B Menelaws. Just states "died" on the entry. Obviously they have noted the gender wrong and also rank Mn - looking at the entry itself in the name/rank box I think it's written Menelaws Mrs D

Again they have her as D. Menelaws hinting again she was probably known as Drina.

Slide1.JPG

Edited by david murdoch

Can someone please post the gratuity details - it should be possible to check the length of service from it in the same way as a soldier however I've never looked at any VAD/Nursing gratuities before so...

Craig

5 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Can someone please post the gratuity details - it should be possible to check the length of service from it in the same way as a soldier however I've never looked at any VAD/Nursing gratuities before so...

Craig

Craig. I'll send you the download on a message. Her effects were £2 6s 9d and her gratuity £21 10s

2 minutes ago, david murdoch said:

Craig. I'll send you the download on a message. Her effects were £2 6s 9d and her gratuity £21 10s

Ta - I'll take a look at that.

Craig

So, from my notes on the VAD gratuity (admittedly these notes are far less than on soldiers)

The basic gratuity was £10 for 12 months- no gratuity payable if they voluntarily resigned with less than 2 years service. Service past the 12 months was at 10s per month, home or abroad.

Her £21 10s war gratuity is shown in the effects as a Type 1 gratuity. Ordinarily this means that the gratuity was paid net of service gratuity however the VAD weren't paid the service gratuity so, as with regular soldiers. the gratuity always seems to be marked as a Type 1 gratuity even if it was actually paid gross.

On the basis of the above we would have £10 for 12 months and then £11 10s for 23 months service, giving a total service of 35 months at the time of death.

Craig

• 2 years later...