Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Was he mentioned? Maton's look up please

Coldstreamer

Hello

could someone please look in Maton / London Gazette / The Times for 

Thomas Patrick Cosgrove - Rifle Brigade late Coldstream Guards

Ive searched the last two but cant see him there - thought might have been a B list as he served at home for most of the war. The source for the info is a newspaper article :o which says twice mentioned. 

cheers

Ian

Edited by Coldstreamer

London Gazette  issue 28894  page 7100  8th September 1914.  The undermentioned to be Quartermasters with the honorary rank of Lieutenant .Dated 9th September 1914  Unable to find anything else in the Gazette.

Bob

Edited by little bob

Also ...

LG Issue 30301, 21 Sep 1917, p.9856

The undermentioned temp. Qrmrs. and Hon. Lts. to be Hon. Capts. :-
Infantry
9th Sept. 1917
T.P Cosgrove

LG Issue 31377, 30 May 1919, p.6977

[p.6978]
CENTRAL CHANCERY OF THE ORDERS OF KNIGHTHOOD
St. James's Palace, S.W.,
3rd June, 1919

The KING has been graciously pleased, on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to give orders for the following promotions in, and appointments to, the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, for valuable services rendered in connection with the War:-

[p.6995]
To be Members of the Military Division of the Most Excellent Order :-

[p.6997]
Cosgrove, Qr.Mr. & Capt. Thomas Patrick, Spec. List.

These two and Bob's were all I could find.

HTH

Mark

thanks - ive looked in the B list and cant see him 

Must admit I only searched 1914 to 1919 inclusive.

Dear MBrockway,

Is there a B List for 1920?

I am missing a Mention for Capt E. P. M. Durand, IA and a Political...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Gone out to the end of 1921 now and only one further reference found ...

LG Issue 32541 6 December 1921 Supplement, p.9990

GENERAL LIST

Infantry - The undermentioned temp. Qrmrs. relinquish their commissions on completion of service and retain their rank :-
9th Sept. 1917
T.P Cosgrove, M.B.E.   1st Sept. 1921

The only MiD in the LG 1920-1921 I have found is to a Cosgrove, 11536, Sjt. T., 6th Bn., South Lancashire Regiment, in LG Issue 31728, 9 January 1920 Supplement p. 515.  Clearly not your man, but a candidate to keep in the frame for a possible confusion.  I didn't monitor possible confusions when I did my original 1914-1919 search the other day, so 11536 Cosgrove might have had a second MiD earlier.

I've only been searching the London Gazette.  I don't have access to Michael Maton's books.

Mark

Been checking The Times for you also.

His MBE in the June 1919 Birthday Honours List did not show up using the Search tool.  I had to find it manually by searching longhand the issues around the start of June and he is definitely listed on Thursday, Jun 05, 1919; pg. 19.

With no confidence that The Times On-Line's search tool is going to find names buried in the long MID etc. lists, I did not pursue this further: way too vast a search to do manually!

11 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear MBrockway,

Is there a B List for 1920?

I am missing a Mention for Capt E. P. M. Durand, IA and a Political...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Don't know about B List.

No sign of Capt. E.P.M. Durrand, IA, in the London Gazette 1920-1921.

Could you bracket a smaller time window before I go to the effort of searching 1914-1919?

Cheers,

Mark

Capt. Sir Edward Percy Marion Durand does not feature in Michael Maton's book "Honour those mentioned in The Great War - mentions in despatches 1914 - 1922", the contents of which are taken from the London Gazette notifications.

No mention of "emblems" on his medal index card, so any mention was not gazetted.

His obituary published in The Times of Saturday 5 March 1955 may be of interest. 

Durand, Sir Edward Percy Marion, obit The Times 5.3.1955.JPG

Thanks for looking. 

Seems gazette and times is negative.  Can someone check maton please so I can put this to bed .

Cheers

3 hours ago, Coldstreamer said:

Seems gazette and times is negative.  Can someone check maton please so I can put this to bed .

Cheers

It could be in The Times Ian - it was just too big a job to search all the MiD's manually and that would be the only sure way to confirm, as the site's search engine did not even locate his MBE.

I was able to find that manually because I knew from the London Gazette that it was in the 1919 Birthday Honours, so I only had to eyeball through a week's worth of copies.

As you say though, a look-up in Maton's books would be the fastest route to a result.

Mark

Times search isn't great. Don't know if maton includea b list?

• 2 weeks later...

Dear HarryBrook,

Many thanks for finding the Times obituary for Sir E. Durand, Bart. The 'bad accident' in 1922 was new to me. 

The business of the MiD5a0753fb7b9fc_DurandmedalgroupMiDnotconfirmed.jpg.9e110824f576d8a6f0e41f65cac1d445.jpg oakleaf on his medal group is vexing, inasmuch as it was clearly not gazetted: notwithstanding his having held a 1918 Political job of the type, likely to attract such an award. 

Thanks for looking!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

hello

bumping his up again as would like to bottom it out one way or another

could some pls check Matons for the MID

cheers

Ian

1 hour ago, DavidOwen said:

Ian

I suspect you have already seen Thomas's MIC which records "no record of any mention"?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D1955560

Regards

David

2010034744_30850_A000372-01723-Copy.jpg.dc271d2ba5511b43d77c15eb70c7b2e2.jpg

MS3 refers to the Military Secretary's Office, Army Medal Office (Room 3) (Williamson Medal Collectors Companion, p.447)

The reverse of his MIC also has this ...

472794953_Copyof30850_A000372-01723.jpg.067afe3c6259b37a4e15fff16e311307.jpg

Form EF/9 was the form sent by the Medal Office to an officer claiming medals, which the officer completed with his details of service etc.  The officer would then send that to his regimental Record Office, where it would be checked and then returned to the Medal Office..

If the officer's claim included an MID emblem, this was often (but not always) mentioned here.

Mark

Thanks, looking like a negative