Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer Training, Cairo

fwwjournal

My grandfather served with Cheshire Yeomanry and arrived in Egypt in March 1916, as Corporal. Shropshire and Cheshire Yeomanry later amalgamated to form 10th (Shropshire & Cheshire Yeomanry) Bn. King's Shropshire Light Infantry. In June 1917 my grandfather was appointed Acting Sergeant, and in October 1917 he was studying at Cadet Class, Cairo. He was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant and transferred to 15th (Suffolk Yeomanry) Bn. Suffolk Regiment in December 1917.  I have a 200 page book of beautifully written notes from his Cadet Class.

What I am trying to understand is the process of promotion. Would the Officer training be something he applied for or was recommended for?

With regards to the 'Cadet Class, Cairo', I am seeking where it may have been based and what if any records might survive. If anyone has any thoughts as to the likelihood of any records surviving and where they might be I would be delighted to here. :)

Thanks,

David

Hi,

Have you looked for his officer file at U.K. National Archives?

I’m sure if you post your grandfathers details a member may be able to assist further.

Good Luck

Steve Y

Thanks for the interest - yes I have his service records and quite a few notes of his. Thomas Minshall was at the 2nd Battle of Gaza and I posted a blog about that: http://fwwjournal.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/second-battle-of-gaza.html

Work back from there and there is further information on his service in earlier posts.

What I have never been able to find is anything specifically about the Cadet Class in Cairo.  I have relevant War Diaries that cover the time of his active service. It’s the Army organisation around officer training I am interested in. When it was established in Cairo, where, who ran it... 

David

Mate,

Officer cadets appear to be nominated by the Unit Commanding Officer. These are sent to Brigade where the final names are confirmed to be sent to OCS.

In most cases the Brigade commander would interview them for the final names.

In Egypt the main OCS was at Zeitoun which open in early 1916 (first AIF cadets sent there) or in 1915? Details on this place have been very hard to confirm.

We talked about this place some where here, so check the old postings

Cheers

S.B

December 1916 Cheshire Yeomanry were at Alamein. Their War Diary notes that they were undergoing instruction in infantry drill "under supervision of Lieut. Barron 1/4 Northamptonshire Regiment, detailed from the school of instruction at Zeitoun."

My grandfather's note book from October 1917 quite clearly says "'Cadet Class, Cairo" - perhaps given the proximity of the camp to the City he was at Zeitoun?  Another little piece in the puzzle to solve... :)

David

Mate,

This is from a ALH War Diary which I wrote about some time ago;

"This continued into 1918, but to confuse the issue some new officers were being sent to what was called, the Jnr Officers course at Kelab. while this school gave the officer some training it was only about one month?

an Interesting coment in the 4th LH Bde war diary dated May 1918 shows what could have happened , but didn't always?

dated 26-5-18 (an early order had asked for 13 candidates for OCS)

GOC 4 LH Bde to interview candidates for admissions to officer cadet unit;

T/Cpl Brodie 4 LHR  
Sgt Cruckshank 4 LHR
Sgt  Rede 4 LHR
Sgt Whitfield 4 LHR
SSM Griffiths 11 LHR
Sgt Billington 11 LHR
SSM Adams 11 LHR
Sgt Allan 11 LHR
Sgt Smith 12 LHR
RSM Finlayson 12 LHR
Arm/Cpl Eyre 12 LHR
Sgt Haydon 12 LHR
Sgt Keay 4 MGS
L/Cpl Taylor 4 MGS
Wo1 Story 4 LHFA

Follow this interview the following names were withdrawn;

T/Cpl Brodie
Sgt Allan
Sgt Smith
Sgt Keay

And some other details;

Zeitoun

I have been trying to track down more on this place but Aussie records are short on of this British Training Area.

But the AOWH by Gullett has some details page 533.

But he stated 1918 we started to send cadets there in Dec 1917.

Zeitoun was a large British training Area, courses were going on there for NCO's and officers, these included the skill at arms courses like, Musketry, and MG (Lewis, Hotchkiss and Vickers) courses. They also ran fighting courses like bayonet, trench warfare and bombing courses. Then they also ran the prom courses for NCO and officers like the cavalry and Officer general courses as well as a Topography course for officers. An interesting course for NCO's and officers was the Range Finding/Taking course.

I am sure I missed some of those courses, as finding a list of the units there, and what they did has been a problem, But both officers and NCO (with some soldiers) spent some time at this place leaning the skills of a soldier and officer in the Army.

Hope that helps

S.B

My grandfather's hand written note book from his training covers the following subjects:

Care of Arms

Musketry

Topography

Equipment

Bayonet Fighting

Knots

Military Law

Field Training

Physical Training

Discipline

Organisation & Training of a Platoon

Manmastership

Out-Posts

Range Charts

Field Fortifications

Lewis & Machine Gun

March DIscipline

Message Forms

Advance Guards

Artillery Formation

Range Duties & Discipline

Trench Routine

Bombing

Artillery Co-operations

Patrols

Orders & Messages

Interior Economy

Organisation of a Battalion

Night Operations

Evacuation of Wounded

Defence

The note book is dated 28 October 1917, and carries his name, company, platoon, section and "Cadet Class, Cairo, Egypt".  He was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant and transferred to 15th (Suffolk Yeomanry) Bn. Suffolk Regiment in December 1917

David

cadetclass1s.jpg

cadetclass3s.jpg

100 years ago today, my grandfather, Thomas Minshall 10th (Shropshire & Cheshire Yeomanry) Bn. King's Shropshire Light Infantry, commenced officer training at a Cadet Class in Cairo. From discussion above this is likely to have been at the Imperial School of Instruction Zeitoun, a suburb of the city. A 200 page book of Thomas’ beautifully written notes from his class survives, neatly inscribed with his name, company, platoon and section, and dated 28 October 1917. I have added a short post about this to my blog: Cadet Class, Cairo.

David

Mate,

Sorry but was there a list of the men on his course?

I just wanted to cross check with the AIF ALH men sent there around the same time?

Cheers

S.B

All I have is the note book - if I ever come across supplementary information I’ll post here.

David

• 4 months later...