Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres guide

sued

I wonder if anyone can help - I’m planning to visit Ypres towards the end of April next year. Rather than doing an organised battlefield tour I’m hoping to visit some of the places mentioned in my grandfather’s 1915 diary, such Brielen and Essex Farm, as well as the site of various farms and trenches. Ideally I’d like somebody who has knowledge of the area as it was then who could pick us up from the hotel, take us to some of these places and take us back, as we won’t have a car. Can anybody recommend an individual or company who does this sort of thing?

Sue

We used Nathan of Flanders Fields Battlefield Tours for a one day tour, whilst staying in Bruges.  He will pick up from your hotel and tailor the tour around the sites you wish to visit.  Very knowledgeable about the area and conflict, he is contactable via VisitBruges.org.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

I don't think so, but be prepared for a long day.  We were picked up around 8.30 am and got back about 6.00 pm.  He is very enthusiastic, we did stop for a nice lunch!

Mike.

• Admin

https://ypres-fbt.com/

Genevra and Jacques do bespoke tours. They live in Poperinghe 

Michelle 

Andre at the Dug Out B and B also. He is on Google and FB. 

The Dugout Ypres.

Good guy.

4 hours ago, trenchtrotter said:

Andre at the Dug Out B and B also. He is on Google and FB. 

The Dugout Ypres.

Good guy.

I can vouch for that

Martin 

• 3 months later...

Can anyone tell me Bob Findley's handle here on the Forum. I used to follow his posts. I think it began with a B. My wife and I  also used his tours and were very impressed with his knowledge and expertise. Vaughn & Marie

• 2 years later...

Have just joined GWF having only recently seen the extremely sad news regarding the passing of Bob Findley. I had the great pleasure of meeting Bob a couple of times. The first time was when I visited Flanders in 2013 with my wife, and the second time was a year later when I visited with my son. My wife's uncle served in the 1st Somerset Light Infantry and was killed during the 2nd battle of Ypres. For my first visit I had looked for a guide who could give me a more personal tour than your average coach tour, and after much research I settled on Bob's Battlefields Alive tours.  What a great find he was. He was able not only to take us around the places where my wife's uncle had fought, but also took us to a spot just off the Admirals road where he pinpointed exactly where he died. I have since those trips compiled many albums containing information and photographs gleaned from our time with Bob, and as he was not only such a knowledgeable man, but also such a lovely person,  I would like to insert a tribute to him into my books. I know that Bob lived in the Ypres area and that he was an ex policeman, but very little else about his background. I would greatly appreciate  it if anybody could help me out with any other personal facts about Bob that they feel they could share.

R.I.P Bob. It was a privilege to meet you.

Edited by Colinc47
Grammatical errors