Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

D Company 35th Battalion 4 April 1918

Gwen Halpin

I'm looking for a list of names of D Company 35th Battalion 4 April 1918. My grandfather was wounded on 4 April and I want to confirm his company as I am visiting VB in April next year. his Company is not mentioned on his war records.

If anyone can help, thank you.

Hi Gwen, welcome to the forum.

What is your Grandfather's name and Regiment, or by virtue you have only listed a Btn was he Canadian or Australian forces?

Andy 

• Admin

As Gwen mentioned VB, I assume she means Villers-Brettoneaux, so by definition, Australian Imperial  Force.

Michelle 

• 1 month later...

Thank you for responding. The information I am seeking relates to WWI Australian Imperial Forces (AIF) 35th Battalion at Villiers-Bretonneux on 4 April 1918. I particularly am interested in finding a list of D Company names.

Cheers

Gwen

Found this

War Diary for 35th Battalion AIF: April 4th 1918: “The Battalion rested at the Aerodrome [CACHY] till 8 p.m. when it moved to cellars in VILLERS - BRENTONNEUX, arriving at 10 p.m. One man was killed & 2 were wounded during the operation. Major Grant came from 36th Battalion AIF as second in command of the Battalion.”

Tony.

Hello

I believe the 35th AIF was near the back of Villers-Bretonneux churchyard on the morning of 4th April 1918.

On 12/6/2017 at 08:32, Gwen Halpin said:

Thank you for responding. The information I am seeking relates to WWI Australian Imperial Forces (AIF) 35th Battalion at Villiers-Bretonneux on 4 April 1918. I particularly am interested in finding a list of D Company names.

Cheers

Gwen

Gwen,

That will not be an easy thing to locate, if it exists at all.  You may have to search through Red Cross and Missing reports of casualties who fell that day and work back from there to create a list.  Often witness statements give company details.  Also have a long trawl through the war diaries for further mentions of company casualties.

Have you contacted this site-

https://harrowercollection.com.au/35th-battalion-nominal-roll/

The nominal roll from this site seems to list a soldier's company where known.  

It would might prove useful providing your grandfathers name and service number. 

Good luck.

Scott

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone for your information. I will follow up all of your suggestions. The name I am following is Norman Leslie Du Frocq, service number 3757.

Regards

Gwen Halpin