Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captured artillery pieces in Kronstadt, 1916

Morar Andrei

• 3 months later...

Hallo Morar!

The two guns on the left are 9cm  c73 Krupp variants.   After the Franco-Prussian War of 1870/71, where the German breach loading guns demonstrated their superiority over the French muzzle loaders, Krupp enjoyed brisk artillery sales to a number of countries.   Rumania was one of those customers, and the gun became the standard piece in their divisional artillery park.  They were later supplemented (but never intirally replaced) by the the guns seen on the far right of your foto; the Krupp 75mm M03/05 .  These later guns were variants of the FK96 n/A that equipped the German Army during 1.WK.

Before Rumania's entry in the war, an attempt to modernize the old 9cm guns was made by giving them large splinter shields. 

I think I found the reason: this photo is part of a series made by the germans after the occupied Brașov (Kronstadt) at the beginning of October. The captured a lot of Romanian equipment after this battle from 2nd Romanian Army and Army Group North, who retreated in disorder to the Bran Pass. I also posted a few other images with the captured artillery pieces from Kronstadt in the topic "The Trench of Death" from my blog.

brasov 1916 4.jpg

brasov 1916.jpg

brasov 1916 6.jpg

brassc3b3c3a1gyc3ba-1916.jpg

brassc3b3nc3a9metek-1916.jpg

IMG_20180205_151920.jpg

... I have always wanted to visit Kronstadt; it appears to be a beautiful city, retaining the architectural splendor of my Saxon ancestors.  And who could resist visiting Bran Castle ??!!

Yes, Kronstadt (or as we call it in Romanian "Brașov") is a very nice place to visit, if not one of the most beautiful cities in Romania. Best place to visit in Kronstadt, where is all of the mefieval architecture is the old town. There are the Black Church, the ruins of the old city walls (most of the bastions are still intact, even restored, each one with a little exhibition or small museum inside), the House of Counsel (Casa Sfatului), the first Romanian school, found on the Schei area, not far from the old town (in the town were living only the saxons and hungarians, the romanians being obligated to live outside the walls), the Tâmpa Heights, where you can see a very nice panorama if the city and so many other places. If you are interested in the saxin architecture, don't forget to visit at least one of the fortifued churches - they are in almost every village and hqve diffetent shapes, some looking like true fortresses). Anyways, it's such a nice place to visit, and I really love that I'm living in Transylvania!

Screenshot_20180212-000123.png

Screenshot_20180212-000138.png

Screenshot_20180212-000159.png

Edited by Morar Andrei

Thank you, Morar!

I appreciate the education you have given me of your country!   Perhaps one day........

• 3 months later...

Most interesting post, I spent a week working in Brasov last year, a very fine place.

I love that city too.

I always feel like home when visiting it, a sentiment that I do not have when visiting other cities..