Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Frederick Ralph Tickle

David Earley

I am just starting research into Captain Frederick Ralph Tickle whose body was found in a hotel bedroom in Euston on 5 November 1918. According to the report on the inquest into his death, he had recently been released from a prisoner of war camp and was returning to his wife when he committed suicide. Precisely why, is not clear from the report of the inquest.

The CWGC  record has him attached to the 7th Battalion, Rifle Brigade. The  St Helens Roll of Honour website  has a few more details about him.

Ancestry shows him on the British Officer Prisoners of War record as having gone missing on 21 March 1918.

What I would like to find now are:

1. Where was he taken prisoner? Can someone point out where I can locate the war diary for the 7th Battalion, Rifle Brigade showing where they were on 21 March 1918?

2. Where was he held as prisoner? I have been unable to locate a record for him on the ICRC database.

3. I have not been able to locate a file for him at TNA. Can anyone track this down for me?

Thanks in advance for any help.

David

Edited by David Earley

You may have come across this in your TNA search but in case you didn't. Captain Tickle is mentioned...

If you have or can gain access to Ancestry here is the relevant entry in the Battalion War Diary for 21st March 1918. Two companies of the battalion were at Essigny and La Sabliere. The diary records the following after the first day of the German Spring Offensive:

'March 21st 20 Officers and 525 Other Ranks missing'

This trench map dated 13th January 1918 shows Essigny (Le Grand) and in square 8 just to the east La Sabliere Farm.

Mike

This is the link to his I.C.R.C. card

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/252214/3/2/

Edit to add:- Messrs. Cox & Co,'s "List of British Officers taken prisoner ......." states that he was interned 21 March 1916 and repatriated 1 November 1918.

Edited by HarryBrook

On 18/10/2017 at 08:24, HarryBrook said:

This is the link to his I.C.R.C. card

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/252214/3/2/

Thanks for that, Harry. From the report downloaded from TNA, I see that he was in Langensalza from 21 March 1918 onwarda, following a transfer from Karlsruhe. From the ICRC card, can you confirm the name of the first POW camp?

59e9bc380d3ce_TcklePoWrecord(1).JPG.1db44adbc4271b92ebb82ea9431bd523.JPG

59e9bca1b86f9_Tickleinquest-DailyMirror071218.png.ff69d9258304389d781989716c11fcf4.png

This a brief report of the inquest.

Best wishes

David

Edited by David Earley

He was transferred to Langensalza from Rastatt which has been mis spelled Rastadt on the ICRC card. 

Charlie

Edited by charlie2

David,

If he was with the battalion and not further back, the 7th RB were on the left of bridge number 1 of the Jussy Canal to approx M.8.a.O.5 with details of the 42nd Brigade on the right of the bridge.

Andy

Thanks everyone for your help.   think  have enough now to put his story together.

David