Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ww1 tank 799 Lt Davies Tourelle

arantxa

Hello

I have a lot of tank parts from 799 Lt Davis  who I got off my good friend  Jean who had the museum at Bullcourt..I was just wondering if anyone had a pic of this tank or knew much about it  . took these pics in his Barn maybe 15-20 years ago.i know a lot of its gone to the Australian national museum

P1012479.JPG

P1012482.JPG

P1012483.JPG

P1012484.JPG

P1012494.JPG

P1012500.JPG

Is Tourelle French for Turret Lol  I only did  Latin at School

Edited by arantxa
spelling

It's Davies, not Davis.

Here is 799.

imag1072.jpg

Wow  thank you  so much....funny ive got the part of the viewing hatch that's open...and some of the Sponsons etc..im not a great knowledge  on tanks ..what Mark is it...was it Australian..i guess it was knocked out at Bullcourt..would it have been in action before that 

It's a Mk II. It had not been in action before Bullecourt.  And it's still Davies not Davis. Would you amend the title of the thread please.

And just to confirm that "tourrelle" is indeed French for "turret".

David.

I'm puzzled as to why Jean Letaille would have parted with significant bits of a tank that he and his friend Moïse put such time and effort into recovering and regarded as one of their prize finds.  Especially as the OP says he has 'no great knowledge of tanks'.  Could he perhaps tell us what parts he acquired and how he knows they belong to 799.

The gun pictured in the OP is in the new Bullecourt Museum as are many other parts of 799.  IMG_1094.jpg.be3b0e0dbb3b76283d7ea445ac2e57b4.jpg

59e5c12ecf25b_Jeansmuseum2006.jpg.f20d519c90e54bc0b75383a105ebb0eb.jpg59e5c14b749ed_JeanKimandmuseum2006.jpg.7fa0e4a5946ca9f4af4bfe26c48c0c53.jpgDear All,

Just for the record. Son Philip and I (accompanied by 53 Bn AIF afficionado Yves Fohlen) visited Jean Letaille on 1 September 2006.

Earlier, Yves had kindly guided us to the Peronne hill, taken by the Australians on 1 September 1918. My grandfather was Coy Cdr "D" Coy and was wounded (MC). 

Jean (since deceased), mostly kindly produced food and drink, and showed us around his museum. As can be seen by the photo-book Philip made, the turret of 799, commemorating the gallant Lieut. Davies and his crew, was in place at that time.

I am pleased to see that the bulk of Jean's collection, is on public display at Bullecourt. Jean had close ties to the Australian War Memorial; indeed, he and his late wife had been decorated by the Australian Government. Therefore, it is not surprising to hear that certain artefacts went to Australia...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

45 minutes ago, SiegeGunner said:

I'm puzzled as to why Jean Letaille would have parted with significant bits of a tank that he and his friend Moïse put such time and effort into recovering and regarded as one of their prize finds.  Especially as the OP says he has 'no great knowledge of tanks'.  Could he perhaps tell us what parts he acquired and how he knows they belong to 799.

Does the OP actually mean (although he certainly implies) that he actually HAS the parts: rather he has photos of the parts (he goes on to comment that he took the pictures in the barn 15-20 years ago. As Colonel D says, the parts are now in the Bullecourt Museum. Maybe the OP doesn't have English as a first language.

Siege Gunner  as you cans see I have a few trinkets my self. This is just part of my collection . Apart from being good friends  with Jean and his wife I had a few bits he like too..I have wheels. Internal parts etc.. And as he told me over dinner what tank it was  from I guess he was telling the truth...I think as I had three  Ph hood masks I gave him one for Xmas as a present  and in return he asked me what id like..i didn't want anything but as im sure you know he was rather insistent

IMG_9879.JPG

IMG_9880.JPG

IMG_9882.JPG

IMG_9883.JPG

IMG_9886.JPG

IMG_9895.JPG

IMG_9899.JPG

IMG_9902.JPG

The tank wasn't his favourite find..he had a couple of other bits he liked better..but remarkable to find with a ww2 metal detector eh

Gareth is my Silver quite large Licoln tank plaque still on the wall

To Steve Broomfield..yes the big bits are in my Garden. Which is a shame really  but they are very heavy..i am open to swaps on them

If you have 'big bits' that are 'very heavy' in your garden, and you're 'open to swaps on them'. perhaps you would consider giving them to the Bullecourt museum to be reunited with the other parts of 799 on display there.   

I honestly dont think they would want them they have lots in storage and i mean lots and the Australian museum only wanted specific bits and i have lots of bits on loan to museums especially the one in Washington

IMG_2872.JPG

IMG_2873.JPG

IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_2875.JPG

For  Diver  some bits  I have in the house and the m I was talking about

Arantxa

I study tank production in the Great War and need to study surviving parts of tanks in search of maker's marks, such as that seen on the brass bush pictured, which comes from the track rollers.  I see you are in Sussex. Would it be possible for me to visit and see these parts please?  If you're amenable, I will send you my contact details by private message, along with a list of individuals who will be able to vouch for me.  That way you will be able to verify that I am bona fide.

Grateful if you'd seriously consider this request.  Thank you.

Gwyn

P.S. Lt Davies was from Carmarthen, which is only a short distance from me.

Hi

i dont see that as a problem..i will have to work on dates as im in and out of the country a lot..i think the only thing with any thing written on it is that M  there is another one  in one of the rollers when i look in..would there be any makers names. on the sponson  or on the  hatch bit or the plate

Matt

Here are some postcards from my collection of tank 799, and info on the back of the cards in German that i can not read.

Keith

59e8b2280663c_ww1tankMkII799germanpostcardsback.jpg.cb598be969c349a21177707b0c92feb3.jpg

Keith

ww1 tank MkII  799 german post card 2 jpg.jpg

ww1 tank MkII  799 german post card 1 jpg.jpg

ww1 tank MkII  799 german post card.jpg

Edited by morrisc8

19 hours ago, Sidearm said:

Arantxa

I study tank production in the Great War and need to study surviving parts of tanks in search of maker's marks, such as that seen on the brass bush pictured, which comes from the track rollers.  I see you are in Sussex. Would it be possible for me to visit and see these parts please?  If you're amenable, I will send you my contact details by private message, along with a list of individuals who will be able to vouch for me.  That way you will be able to verify that I am bona fide.

Grateful if you'd seriously consider this request.  Thank you.

Gwyn

P.S. Lt Davies was from Carmarthen, which is only a short distance from me.

He is absolutely bona fide. I can vouch for Gwyn.

7 hours ago, arantxa said:

Hi

i dont see that as a problem..i will have to work on dates as im in and out of the country a lot..i think the only thing with any thing written on it is that M  there is another one  in one of the rollers when i look in..would there be any makers names. on the sponson  or on the  hatch bit or the plate

Matt

Hello Matt

Thanks for your positive reply.

I don't know what you've got altogether, and sometimes parts can be marked or unmarked depending on who made them.  In this case, as we know the tank was built by Fosters any clues might help identify firms in their supply chain.  If you have any structural steel parts I'd expect these to have been marked, though these marks may have been lost due to corrosion.  I'll PM you my contact details etc as promised.

Thanks again.

Gwyn