Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

TGM

GRO launches new pilot for PDF birth and death records (cross post)

TGM

Cross-posting from Classifieds to allow comment:

Spotted in my WDYTYA email:
GRO launches new pilot for PDF birth and death records:

Quote:

The General Register Office (GRO) is again piloting a scheme where researchers can order birth and death records as a PDF.

From today (12 October), the digital records will be available to order via the GRO website for £6 each for a period of three months.

The PDF scheme provides a cheaper alternative to ordering print certificates, which cost £9.25 each or £23.40 for priority certificates.

Sarah Williams, editor of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine said, "This new pilot will be welcomed by family historians who will now be able to find out crucial details about births and deaths at a much more affordable price". 

GRO, which has run three previous pilot PDF schemes, said the scheme would run for a minimum of three months to allow it to “assess the demand for this service over a prolonged period”.

The scheme applies to birth certificates from 1837 to 1916 and death certificates from 1837 to 1957.

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Thanks for posting TGM.

Very useful link.

In fact, I've already ordered a certificate as a result!

5 minutes ago, TGM said:

Cross-posting from Classifieds to allow comment:

Spotted in my WDYTYA email:
GRO launches new pilot for PDF birth and death records:

Quote:

The General Register Office (GRO) is again piloting a scheme where researchers can order birth and death records as a PDF.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

thetrenchrat22
1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Thanks for posting TGM.

Very useful link.

In fact, I've already ordered a certificate as a result!

Please let us have review of what the certificate look like and if they are hand written by a modern hand & then scanned as a PDF document 

Edited by thetrenchrat22

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

OK will do.

It's still not dispatched instantly, expected date of arrival in my mailbox is on 19th October.

But you can pay more for a more urgent response.

(I chose ' Mañana Mail' at £6)

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

clk

Hi,

2 hours ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

Please let us have review of what the certificate look like and if they are hand written by a modern hand & then scanned as a PDF document 

I would be interested in that too. Ones that I previously gained from local registration offices have been modern hand written transcriptions written on a 'current' certificate, but those I have from the GRO appear to be scans from original centralised copies printed on a modern certificate.

Regards

Chris

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

When the virtual postman plops my virtual certificate on my virtual doormat, I'll let you all know.

TGM
17 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

When the virtual postman plops my virtual certificate on my virtual doormat, I'll let you all know.

Thank you.

Indefatigable

Good Evening

Firstly apologies to Dai Bach y Sowldiwr for stealing his thunder!

This is terrific news, I made full use of this facility on the previous occasion they ran the pilot. To my mind especially useful is the showing of the mother's maiden name on birth indices prior to July 1911available when you use the GRO website search facility. I was able to find at least 5 more unknown family members in my maternal great grandmother's family group as well as the probable identity of their fathers.

Here is a sample of a birth pdf from the previous time the GRO ran the pilot and what you got for your £6. I doubt if there is any change with this in the current pilot. Essentially the content for the death cert pdf is similar, just 9 boxes not 10. Unfortunately the young lady mentioned in the birth details died some 6 months later. What is good about the price is that for almost the price of two full certificates you can get three pdf documents which contain all the information you need.

59e33a97a1aa9_FlorenceLydiaRobarts.jpg.b5aa784d2a8e72e2442d231031ce51cf.jpg

regards

Indefatigable

Edited by Indefatigable
text added pdf amended to delete surnames

clk

Thank you DByS and Indefatigable. Appreciated.

Regards

Chris

RaySearching

Would I be right in assuming the PDFs will be acceptable to the CWGC

as evidence of death and  the cause of the death

Ray

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
1 hour ago, RaySearching said:

Would I be right in assuming the PDFs will be acceptable to the CWGC

as evidence of death and  the cause of the death

Ray

Well,  the GRO website says specifically thiis:

"Note: A PDF is not a certificate and has no “evidential” value, and therefore a certificate is required for official purposes, e.g. applying for a passport, driving licence or giving notice of marriage".

Phil Wood

£6 is better than £9.50 but its a lot more than the £2 proposed in the White Paper on the digitisation project 10+ years back. Digitise the lot and put them online like Scotland has and they would earn more than they ever will with niggardly, half-hearted efforts like this.  And 3 months - why time limited?

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
2 minutes ago, Phil Wood said:

£6 is better than £9.50 but its a lot more than the £2 proposed in the White Paper on the digitisation project 10+ years back. Digitise the lot and put them online like Scotland has and they would earn more than they ever will with niggardly, half-hearted efforts like this.  And 3 months - why time limited?

Something along the lines of wanting to establish if there's enough demand for such a service in the long run.

Presumably they dig out records ad hoc and scan them when requested, and that the original records are by and large not digitized.

Phil Wood
8 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Something along the lines of wanting to establish if there's enough demand for such a service in the long run.

Presumably they dig out records ad hoc and scan them when requested, and that the original records are by and large not digitized.

If they are digging them out individually they are evidently getting very little business - or have a very large, expensive workforce.

Scotlands GRO has been coining it from their much smaller record set for 10 years or so - ask them how it's going. There is obviously a demand, a demand that baulks at £9.50 and will be put off by £6.

They can go for a standalone website and pay for the digitisation, website setup and management or make a deal with Ancestry/FMP/TheGenealogist or somesuch and just sit back and reap the rewards.

In reality they have been clinging on to archive records for far too long, local registrars should be depositing their material in county ROs - the GRO stuff of any age should be in the National Archives - now they are spending money on a half-hearted system that just serves to prolong the hiding of archive material that should be freely available.

Indefatigable

Good Evening

As I understand it the pdf documents that we are able obtain in the pilot exercises are as a result of the previous attempt to digitise all the BMD's the GRO hold, if not, the online indexes are. If you look at a certificate most of them are the completed boxes shown in the pdf above copied onto the typed text so to a certian extent some digitisation has already taken place. I have most of the facts somewhere but not readily to hand. I know that what the GRO provide is dictated by law and that law states that 2 copies of each registered event should be held, one by the local registrar and the other by the GRO. The law also states that what data the GRO provide is in the form of a certified copy i.e. the certificate.

Note that one of the previous pilot schemes last year (it began on 9th November 2016) was limited I believe to approximately 35,000 pdf requests or a time limit (which I think was  6 weeks) whichever came first. I believe it ended early due to the number of applications exceeding the limitation.

Note that Scottish BMD records are governed by different laws to that of England/Wales as are the records for Northern Ireland.

regards

Indefatigable

Edited by Indefatigable

thetrenchrat22

Now would the CWGC accept a PDF copy of the death certificate 

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

They might,  I suspect not.

See post#11

Hywyn
7 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

See post#11

The In From The Cold Project used the trial scheme and have already applied for a certificate via this recent scheme.

Phil Wood
10 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

See post#11

Every case I have put through has been accompanied by a scan of a certificate, not the certificate itself  - I don't see that a pdf is any different.

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
1 hour ago, Phil Wood said:

Every case I have put through has been accompanied by a scan of a certificate, not the certificate itself  - I don't see that a pdf is any different.

I can understand that.

It just depends on what level of proof they are willing to accept.

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Further to me ordering a certificate 6 days ago, I was notified this morning that the certificate was in my mailbox at GRO and I've now downloaded it.

Just to confirm that  the certificate (or rather the register entry) image is exactly as Indefatigable posted in post #8.

£6?

Good value in my opinion.

delta

I have used the service and think also think it is first rate

MAW

The pdf version does not include the application number, certificate number and the official GRO stamp (which are included on the paper version), but these would not be important to a genealogist.

Mark