Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another Roll of Honour for Sale on Ebay

jacks

Yes I was hoping to read that it came from a Village hall or somewhere that may have been knocked down but a church still in existence it would not sit comfortably with me to have it in my collection knowing that its rightful place is in the Church in the Village that these men came from. Actually If it was hanging anywhere else that may have been knocked down it wouldn't feel right to own it , it belongs to the people of Winsford and should be back in the Church.

We have a roll of honour hanging in the memorial hall in Dereham if I am correct it was sitting in a basement of a council office somewhere in the town it was discovered during a clear out and was saved by the skin of its teeth from being thrown in a skip once it was realized what it was it was put in the newly refurbished Memorial Hall, its a hugely important document as it in many cases states Regiments local men served in and in many cases this is the only record of this information that exists, it also is a roll that shows all men who served ( the majority) opposed to a roll showing those who were lost it also refers to men who were wounded and in which theatre of war. I often refer to it.

On the ball again, as usual! Well done JP, another mystery solved.

Received the following reply from the Secretary of the Winsford History Society:

Thank you for letting us know. It would appear that the item has sold. However even if it had still been available we would not have purchased as we have nowhere to store such large items. 
With regards
Mary Curry
Secretary

About 2/3 years ago i came across an original wooden plaque listing the roll of honour for a canadian school i tracked them down and sent several e-mails all to no avail no interest was shown a great pity!

its a real pity..

Yes I was disappointed in the response above, you would have thought the local history society would want to at least have a photograph recording the names on the plaque. Another option could have been to buy it and display it perhaps in the local anglican church. Obviously they would have had to do some fund raising activities to pay for it and persuade the seller to wait for them to raise the money. As it is, it has probably gone into private hands where it can't be seen and has lost it's context.

When I made post #2, I'd assumed this had come from the Anglican church, not a presumably deconsecrated Methodist chapel. What I still find surprising is that it was not moved to wherever the Methodists now worship.

By way of contrast, when the Congregationists closed a chapel near me, in 2012 (?) they used the remaining chruch funds to erect a new war memorial in the hamlet, removing the original plaques inside the chapel to their new location. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4372320

• 5 months later...

I am coming late to this thread, and hope this note will still be seen.

Can anyone confirm if the panel in question was the same one listed on eBay in Dec 2016? See pic taken from the seller's listing. The panel was removed from the Winsford Liberal Club, when the building was sold. It ended up with a house clearance guy, who put it on eBay for £500. 

I have been searching for the panel since July 2017, and would like to see it returned to Winsford where it can be put on public display -- there is a suitable town centre location.

Thank you for any help.

John

Winsford, Cheshire

winsford war memorial.jpg

6 minutes ago, John Malam said:

I am coming late to this thread, and hope this note will still be seen.

Can anyone confirm if the panel in question was the same one listed on eBay in Dec 2016? See pic taken from the seller's listing. The panel was removed from the Winsford Liberal Club, when the building was sold. It ended up with a house clearance guy, who put it on eBay for £500. 

I have been searching for the panel since July 2017, and would like to see it returned to Winsford where it can be put on public display -- there is a suitable town centre location.

Thank you for any help.

John

Winsford, Cheshire

winsford war memorial.jpg

A different Roll of Honour. The one for sale on ebay in October 1917 came from Whitegate Wesleyan Methodist Chapel - as did the pulpit (see #4)

JP

2 minutes ago, helpjpl said:

A different Roll of Honour. The one for sale on ebay in October 1917 came from Whitegate Wesleyan Methodist Chapel - as did the pulpit (see #4)

JP

Thank you for the clarification.

The search for the missing Liberal Club board continues.

John

From my experience some Church authorities show a lack of interest/care when churches are de-consecrated, My mothers and grandmothers ashes were "lost" when the Methodist chapel was sold for residential use - the Church didn't even bother making an effort to contact a relative who lived in the village that the burial plots were being dug up. The Church cannot even remember where they "stored" the ashes!

I have heard from council workers of rolls of honour being skipped when taken from buildings for whatever reason, so the events previous do not surprise me.

• 1 month later...

As beestonboxer has already stated our town was lucky enough to have a few of us who knew what it was around when ours was found. However, we are also lucky in the fact that one of the local factories at the time, Hobbies, also had a special list made up as did the local Oddfellows society. The latter two include all of their men who went to war and not just those who died. The other fact about Dereham is that the memorial for the Great War caused a huge argument at the time as it was placed in the Parish (C of E) church and those from the Congregational, Baptist, 3 Methodist Chapel (Primitive, Wesleyan & United) complained so bitterly that money was raised once more and a small copy of the London Cenotaph was placed outside at the end of the Market Place so all could see and visit it.

Thanks and take care, Kitty