Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain G Cliff

Please does anyone have information about Captain G.Cliff (Adjt) Lincolnshire Yeomanry? I have a postcard with him photograph on but no other info. Thanks you if you can help. 

First up, is Major Grosvenor Talbot Cliff, formally Captain Adjutant Lincolnshire Yeomanry with a senority date of April 1912.

On the 1916 Army List he is Temp Major with the 3rd (Prince Of Wales's) Dragoon Guards until his death (accidentally killed) on the 10th Feb 1918.

Regards 

Andy

https://www.lincstothepast.com/CLIFF--Grosvenor-Talbot---Legion-D-Honeur--France-/1543344.record?pt=S

Edited by HolymoleyRE

"On 10th February the Brigade suffered a great loss in the death of Major G. T. Cliff (second in command, 3rd Dragoon Guards), who fractured his skull by a fall from his horse, and died at No. 5 CCS. at Tincourt."  - History of the 6th Cavalry Brigade.

The 1918 Probate Calendar records that Grosvenor Talbot Cliff, of West Firsby Manor, Lincolnshire,  a major in H.M. Army, died 10 February 1918 at Tincourt in France. Probate was granted at the London Court on the 11 December (1918) to Helen Cliff, widow, and Francis Paget Hett, solicitor. His effects were valued at 64,574, 13s, 7d.

(Which in todays money would be worth over £2.5 million).

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar#calendar

I suspect therefore he will probably get a mention in The Times as well as the newspapers covering Lincolnshire.

regards,

Peter

• 1 month later...

5a0884c905b9a_LtThompson2.jpg.96bf9ad3d001cf1b3273adf11b117590.jpgThis is Grosvenor

Cliff Scawby Grove.jpg

He appears on on our village, Scawby, North Lincs., Church War memorial.

Lt Thompson2.jpg

Edited by Bingo794

Grosvenor Cliff's family home. The Grove, Scawby.

Grove.jpg

Anothe r view of The Grove.

Scawby Grove.JPG

Probably the card you have.......

Major GJ Cliff of the Grove Scawby1.jpg

The Grove.

Bong3.jpg

The main gate to The Grove, taken in the late 60's by my father. A local photographer.

Grove gates.jpg

The Cliff family were linked to the Scunthorpe Iron works and were partly responsible for it becoming the successful steel plant it has been over the years.
In Scunthorpe, there are streets  and public houses named after the family, such as The Grosvenor and The Talbot. There is Grovesnor St., Cliff St., among other linked to the family around the old parts of town. Not the most salubrious of towns, today. As I am sure you will know. 

Edited by Bingo794

The Cliff family built The Grove at some time before 1910.

There was a smaller house on the site which was knocked down to make way for their grand hall.

The Old Grove which was knocked down for the larger house.
The front door of todays house.

Old Grove.jpg

Grove front door.jpg

• 2 years later...

I am not sure if this topic is still live , having only just come back to the forum after some time. Grosvenor Cliff was my grandfathers uncle and Scawby Grove was built by my great great Grandfather, Joseph Cliff whose father also Joseph Cliff started the Iron works at Scunthorpe, he being a major industrialist in Leeds involved in mining and brick and tile manufacturing (The Leeds tile and fireclay company later became Burmantofts) . Grosvenor was the second of 3 sons (Joseph Tertious, Grosvenor and my Great Grandfather Reginald Bertram who was killed at Ypres in 1916) The Grove and all the families interests in the steelworks were all sold off in 1929, I have some photos of the family and the Grove but I have not seen the one of the House front in your post above, I also have other momentoes of the family including letters mostly pertaining to my Great Grandfather and his time and sad death in Belgium.

This house was definitely built before the 1st world war because my great great grandfather Joseph who built it died in June 1914 just before the war started. Also the crest above the front door there is our family coat of arms. It would be interesting to see any more pictures you might have both old and modern. I have never been to see this house as we moved down to cornwall when I was a child so any information would be welcome.

Richard Cliff

Dear Richard,

Fascinating!

The charming-looking Major G. T. Cliff had rotten luck to have been fatally thrown from his horse.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 2 months later...

Heres a bit from the Barton scrapbook concerning Reginald Cliff died in an accident. At the bottom right about June 1915 Id imagine 

Letter Fieldsend Captain Cliff Thornton.jpg