Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Romanian armoured car - What model?

Morar Andrei

I've seen this image on the internet and reminded me about armored vehicles were used by both sides during the battle of Mărăști, Mărășești and Oituz. What model is this armored car? Is it captured, received during the French Military Mission or from other source? Thank you very much!

c40de097bdb53589d6e2ef89522549a6.thumb.jpg.367491563f94dd5fd4a7068ea7a30e1b.jpg

Someone suggested that it could be an Austin, but I know that these armored vehicles gad two turrets, and this one has one, centrally placed.

The body might look like an Austin, and Romania also used a third generation Austin on battle, but it is strange that this vehicle has only one centrally placed turret, instead of two on the sides. Is this possibly o russian/romanian modification to the vehicle? Because the body of the vehicle looks typical for the Austin armored cars.

well done. btw the sixth image from above, is the same one that was posted in tge first post

There were only two Hotchkiss Izhorski armoured cars built. Both were captured by the Germans in 1917.

One of them was repaired and appeared in Munich in 1919 with the Freicorps unit Kokampf 115 

named "Lotta".

Regards,

Charlie

Very interesting to find out, but did the other vehicle get on the Romanian Army and then being captured by the germans? Sorry that I need to correct you, but "Lotta" was captured in Vilnius in 1915, but you are right with the rest of the information. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

If that Hotchkiss armored car was not captured in Romania (both built have been captured in 1915), what other cars did Romania use? I surely know about a 3rd series Austin, and maybe some french cars. Anything to complete?

4fbfa58f537b69a6053651355587d73f_28f9d072-fccb-4899-92f3-d118131eaa2b.png

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

And some other armoured cars, together with some text about. I can help translating if needed.

IMG_20180313_210935.jpg

IMG_20180313_210909.jpg

IMG_20180313_211000.jpg

IMG_20180313_211013.jpg

The second picture, containing the only prototype of this armoured car, was done on the streets of Budapest in 1919, from what I found.

• 2 months later...

I made photo on my last visit at the National Military Museum. Except for the Renault Ft17 tank, can anyone help me recognise the vehicles, and maybe give me some information about them?

Sorry for the quality of the photo if it's not very good...

IMG_20180420_163244.jpg

Edited by Morar Andrei

Is my photo clear enaugh for a possible identification of the two armoured car models, next to the tank?

They both look like 'Model T' Fords.

Mike.

Thanks. This raises tge question: why and how woulx the Romanian army use such vehicles, apparently unarmed and without armour? I think that I am missing something. At least one of them lookd to have something like a machinegun mounted.

Can anyone explain me plase about yhe use of Ford Model T cars in the Romanian army during the Great War?

Thank you in advance!