Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Snowdon died March 20th 1916 at Ypres, 1.5th Battallion, Durham Light Infantry

Louise Baldock

Good morning

After your terrific work with three of my friend's relatives who died in the first world war,  I would appreciate some more knowledge about this fourth and final soldier.

James Snowdon, son of Joseph and Sarah Jane, born in Stockton on Tees in 1897.

He died at Ypres on March 20th 1916.

I understand he is buried at Railway Dugouts Cemetery in Ypres.

I would like to know whether he appears on any memorials in the UK - and any other snippets of information you may have for me

Thank you so much in advance

Best wishes, Louise

Louise, his service number would suggest an enlistment date of early to mid August 1915. The battalion war diary for the day records very little and mentions no casualties but does tell us that the battalion held trenches 37L, 37LS, 38, 39 and 40 in the Hill 60 sector. Although the diary states that the artillery was quiet 'but snipers, trench motars and rifle grenades worried us constantly'. At the time of his death Railway dugouts was used by Advanced Dressing Stations and its one of these units that buried him there. 

The Stockton-on-Tees War Memorial besides the Church of St. Thomas rercords James' name.

Jon

Thank you very much Jon, that is very helpful, I am truly grateful. This information will be of great interest to his family.

• 1 month later...

Hi 

Jimmy Snowdon is my Great Great Uncle, my mother's, father's, father's brother. My Mum has done a lot of research into the history of these brothers, we have visited Jimmy's grave at least 4/5 times and my Mum and Dad also visited his brother Oliver's grave (from memory I think that's in Worms). If your friends want any more information I'm sure my Mum will be happy to help.