Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CCS Records

warbuff1

Hi

I'm wondering if anywhere online the  details of those individuals admitted to a CCS, Why they were admitted, treatment given & subsequent death are available? I can't find anything on Ancestry. 

Reason I ask is a relative was admitted to either 32 or 34 CCS at Marchelpot on 21st March 1918 & sadly died of his wounds on 22nd.

Many Thanks 

Wayne

Edited by warbuff1

War Diaries of CCSs sometimes contain lists of casualties treated but this is the exception rather than the rule. The details would normally be in their Admissions and Discharge Registers, but only a small number of those have survived in class MH106 at the National Archives. They are not available online as far as I know.

Ron

The MH106 records are the basis of ForcesWarRecords transcriptions under Hospital Admissions, I think- available by subscription to their site. but as Ron said, only a small proportion has survived. But if you do make a hit, it is incredibly useful.

Charlie

Hi Wayne,

From the 'representative sample' of admission/discharge registers that were retained post war which form the MH106 series held by the National Archives, to date Forces War Records have currently transcribed a million individual entries. There doesn't appear to be anything for 240768 James Lucas. The free search page is here.

Regards

Chris

Only 34CCS is part of the MH106 ledgers I am afraid, 32 CCS is not included to the best of my knowledge.

Just for information MH106 contains information in the admission/discharge registers for the following:

14,51,66,139,149 Field Ambulance

3,11,31,34,39,82 Casualty Clearing Station

2,18,19,28,85 General Hospital

4 Surgical Hospital

Middlesex, Queen Alexandra's, Catterick Camp & Craig Lockhart Hospitals

Assay and number 31 Ambulance trains

There may be a very small number allocated elsewhere but we will only know that once all legible registers are completed.

• 4 months later...

Sorry its taken me ages to get back on here.

I've not managed to find info on CCS but what I did find was the RAMC details and pinpoint not only the Field Ambulance but the location of the Advance Dressing Station in Templeux-Le Guerard where he was wounded on 21st March. Interestingly it states that the first casualties weren't transferred to the CCS until 3am on 22nd!! I'm guessing purely as i'll never know for sure but likely my relative died before he arrived at CCS Marchelpot or shortly afterwards