Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Parliamentary Recruiting Committee

chris basey

I have a copy of a letter that was sent out to householders in November 1914 enclosing a form on which they were asked to state the names of 'those in your household' who are willing to enlist for the War. The text is generally to encourage recruitment and signed by Asquith, Bonar Law and Arthur Henderson.

Does anyone have a copy of the form, please?

I'm afraid I can't help with the 1914 letter although it is possible that your local archive may have a copy. If not try surrounding towns and cities.

Out of interest I do have documents relating to the National Registration Act 1915. These include two blank forms for males and females, and one filled in form for Lizzie Elsie Bates of Burbage, Hinckley, Leicestershire who gives her occupation as "Hosiery - Seamless Half Hose". These forms had to be filled in by all girls and women who were aged between 15 and 65 on Sunday August 15th 1915 and raedy for collection the following day. The penalty for "wilful refusal or neglect to fill up the form" was £5. The same form applied to men, but was printed in a different colour.

The National Registration Act was the forerunner to the Derby Scheme and included in the collection are the "Instructions to Tribunals as to Voluntarily Attested Men" and an officially approved pamphlet "The Group System - Questions and Answers".

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I thought it might be of interest.

Terry Reeves