Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Austro-Hungarian unknown uniform

Morar Andrei

Finally got more information. Here what I can connect to them:

- native from Kucsuláta (Cuciulata in Romanian), part of Fogaras district

- fought in the Austro-Hungarian Army as infantry soldiers

- one of them looks to have the rank of corporal in a Honved division, the other one being just a rifleman

- most probably members of the Royal Hungarian Infantry Regiment Nr.23, 3rd battalion (battalion garrisoned in Fogaras)

- the fate of the regiment, such as these two's, is unknown to me; they maybe fought in Galicia, Serbia, Italy or Romania

- in the photography of the Cuciulata conscripts returned home in autumn-winter 1918, these two guys are not visible, which would mean some possibilities: a) they died on the front, but I haven't seen any mention of that on the WW1 heroe's monument from Cuciulata or in the cemetery of austro-hungarian soldiers from Făgăraș, even if there are many romanian names;  they fought in Italy, and maybe joined the Romanian Legion from the italian army (argument reinforced by the fact that many soldiers of that unit were from Făgăraș and the sorrounding villages), unit which was disbanded only in 1919, year when its members returned home c) the just weren't visible in the image, which would be a bit awkward, because everyone there is very visible

- I'm not sure if they are from my direct family line or are indirect relatives, even thou my family name is very common in that area (Morar, Moraru, Morariu etc.). Plus, in some possible hungarian registers, their names might be adapted to the hungarian form, which would be a bit puzzleing

Also, I got some colorised images, which might help:

d468ab4858eb8f4605c85584139076b4_ecdc9a09-4ad4-427c-a195-2cc32243fd57.png.d67cd333b511757923b09bbce42b8975.png

1bb62bbe284bbca870bc98653db2d9f1_feb707ba-1a69-435c-a5d5-1c14211c0c4b.png

Very good we have now some colorised versions. That would make, together with my upper-mentioned ideas, much easier a possible identification.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I got something: I restored the background of the photo, which was not very clear, with a bit of help and some coparisson with other similar ones.1stBW.thumb.jpeg.ecd7ea6f5c1bdb1db2ee120e72f0f6b4.jpegCan we just get a conclusion? I feel that since I found more, with the possibility to actually get somewhere, I'm writing hete only fir myself. 

Note: next time when I get to their village, I will also check at the church. Usually in the Romanian villages, most of the village records are places at the Church. It would be worth to search there...

• 1 year later...

Found a possible track for the image. We can confirm that the soldiers were part of the 23rd Honved and were sent to Galicia, with little chance to retur home since the locally conscripted units suffered catastrophic casuslties. There is a slight possibility that one of the soldiers was a certain Morar Iacob, Who is mentioned on the memorial stone from Cuciulata. 

IMG_20181214_121009.jpg

On 31/10/2017 at 21:38, Morar Andrei said:

d468ab4858eb8f4605c85584139076b4_ecdc9a09-4ad4-427c-a195-2cc32243fd57.png.d67cd333b511757923b09bbce42b8975.png

My attempt. 

1stBW.thumb.jpeg.jpg

• 3 months later...

Can anyone help me identify the regiment, battalion or unit this soldier was part of? 
The inscription on the hat indicates he was with a Infanterie Begleit Bataillon (IBB). I can read "2A" following it. I believe the last part of the inscription may be "23" but cannot tell for sure. 
Was this soldier perhaps connected to the 23rd Nagyszeben Honvéd Infantry Regiment, and 2nd Regiment of Field Artillery?

He has a Stormtrooper badge on the right side of his uniform. I cannot identify the medals.  There was writing on the back of the photograph, in Hungarian, which read "before disease."

The photo dates from WW1, obviously. He was known by one of my paternal grandparents but I am not sure which one. I suspect my grandfather knew him. Grandfather emigrated from Cugir, Romania in 1907, but he and grandmother did receive letters and communications from friends and family who remained in Europe.

An alternative is this soldier is someone my grandmother knew. She was Hungarian and emigrated from what is now Muzhiyevo, Zakarpattya, Ukraine. (She met and married my grandfather after emigrating to the United States).
I'd be grateful for any help or suggestions as to the unit, regiment, or battalion this solider belonged to. Also would appreciate some info on the other parts of his uniform, medals, stars, color of collar, etc.

PethoBrother.jpg