The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distance in Yards

thetrenchrat22

What is the distance in yards between these two map references 

I.30.a.5.4 

I.30.a.5.2 

Tr22,

This reply will not satisfy you, but as soon as I saw your question, I immediately decided to "Follow". Because I am eager to see the replies of other GWF members.

I am interested because often I have similar questions, re one-digit co-ordinates. Which I 'dislike'.

A little difficult to explain what I think. Just this: 5.2 and 5.4 have 5.3 in between.

Each of these three is 50 yds x 50 yds.

So the distance betwee 5.2 and 5.5 = 50 yds. (The width of 5.3, or in practice one or two yards more ?)

However if the exact points you are interested in, are in the centre of 5.2 and in the centre of 5.4, then the distance = 25 + 50 + 25 = 100 yds.

And if one point is in the bottom left corner of 5.2, and the other is in the top right corner of 5.4, then the line is something like a diagonal of what I think would be a little more than 150 yds. (I could be more accurate, but then Pythagoras will have to step in. Maybe approx. 157-158 yds ?)

When I was younger mathematics was not my favourite subject at school. But somehow it always intrigued me. So Ihope I am correct. And anyone can correct me if I am not.  :-)

And as I promised : my answer would not satisfy you. At least that is correct !  :-)

Aurel

Aurel 

thank you for your reply, I was looking at about somewhere between 100yrds and 150yrds myself but that was at 3am this morning.  

so I decided, to see what others members may say.  I hated maths at school

Assuming each box is 50 yards by 50 yards and the 'grid' is actually the dot in the centre of each square....

The left hand dot represents coordinate    I.30.a.5.2

The middle dot represents coordinate        I.30.a.5.3

The right hand dot represents coordinate  I.30.a.5.4

Assuming each box is 50 yards by 50 yards,the shortest distance between the left and right dots is 100 yards..... however....

If one was measuring from the bottom (South) left (West) corner of the first box to the extreme top (North)right (East) corner of the right box, the maximum distance of this diagonal would be the Square root of (150 squared + 50 squared)= Square root of (22500 +2500) = square root 25000 = 158 yards and some loose change...

MG

Edited by Guest

MG,

All I can say is that I agree.

And am looking forward to seeing the opinion of other members. Who agree. (Or ... disagree.  :-) )

Anyway, Mr Pythagoras would be proud of us !

Aurel

55 minutes ago, Aurel Sercu said:

MG,

All I can say is that I agree.

And am looking forward to seeing the opinion of other members. Who agree. (Or ... disagree.  :-) )

Anyway, Mr Pythagoras would be proud of us !

Aurel

I was using the 3,4,5 triangle in 1982 in the depths of the Borneo jungle with a pieced of knotted string to establish a right angle on a Rope Stay bridge stay. Thousands of years of knowledge condensensed into a rather important calculation. Go Pythagoras. 

41 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

You must have got it right.

We didn't fall in.

Thank you.

You clearly were not in Labi A. 22 people did fall in the river when the previous rope bridge was eaten away by the ants. It took 3 days to casevac them.  My replacement design was stayed Steel Wire Rope and the Gurkhas unravelled the old cordage and re-wound it around the SWR to give it an authentic 'Indiana Jones' feel and something for the ants to chew on. All done on the back of a fag packet. Improvised engineering  a la the British Army. 332 feet span. A thing of wonder. Thrapping skills.

Edited by Guest

Thank you for your replies 

alan