Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No.19 Class. No2. Officer Cadet Battalion. R.E. Newark. 1917

GWF1967

GWF

The Signal Service training centres were in various locations in Bedfordshire for most of the war. Officers for the Signal Service were trained at the cadet class at Haynes Park some 10 miles outside of Bedford.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

51 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

GWF

The Signal Service training centres were in various locations in Bedfordshire for most of the war. Officers for the Signal Service were trained at the cadet battalion at Haynes Park some 10 miles outside of Bedford.

TR

Thank you. 

• 6 months later...

Hi There,

Your postcard is a great discovery for me.

Ref: 

Row.5.  14 Men. -   1. Robert Osborne Wrightson Earle. 1st F. Coy. Australian Engineers. 230. M.S.M. 12/10/1916.

I have a website dedicated to the 219 men of the 1st Field Company Australian Engineers of which Robert Osborne Wrightson Earle was one.

5acc5a80e03c5_SPHINXSappersPhoto.thumb.jpg.d952cbeac2f6958a7480d76db2a25f23.jpg

Robert  or 'Os' or 'Ossie'  Earle as he was known was a friend to many. He attended the school with fellow ANZAC 106 Frank Rochester . When Frank gained his commission he returned to France and was K.I A on 23rd April 1918.

Robert Earle  returned to Australia after the  war , he married, and died in 1962 his wife died in 1993.

I have not finished ROW Earle's  story,  but now to finally see a picture of him I am excited to complete it.

I was hoping you would permit me to use your picture of the post card on my website , particularly as one of the main aims of the project has been to obtain a portrait of each man. 

I would be most grateful and acknowledge your assistance and permission to use such a great archive.

Thank you for putting the postcard up on the forum and I look forward to hearing back.

Regards

aussiesappers.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, 1st Field Co. Australian Eng. said:

Hi There,

Your postcard is a great discovery for me.

Ref: 

Row.5.  14 Men. -   1. Robert Osborne Wrightson Earle. 1st F. Coy. Australian Engineers. 230. M.S.M. 12/10/1916.

I have a website dedicated to the 219 men of the 1st Field Company Australian Engineers of which Robert Osborne Wrightson Earle was one.

5acc5a80e03c5_SPHINXSappersPhoto.thumb.jpg.d952cbeac2f6958a7480d76db2a25f23.jpg

Robert  or 'Os' or 'Ossie'  Earle as he was known was a friend to many. He attended the school with fellow ANZAC 106 Frank Rochester . When Frank gained his commission he returned to France and was K.I A on 23rd April 1918.

Robert Earle  returned to Australia after the  war , he married, and died in 1962 his wife died in 1993.

I have not finished ROW Earle's  story,  but now to finally see a picture of him I am excited to complete it.

I was hoping you would permit me to use your picture of the post card on my website , particularly as one of the main aims of the project has been to obtain a portrait of each man. 

I would be most grateful and acknowledge your assistance and permission to use such a great archive.

Thank you for putting the postcard up on the forum and I look forward to hearing back.

Regards

aussiesappers.wordpress.com

Hi, 

glad you found the picture.

Please feel free to use the photograph for your website. 

• 5 months later...

AF Hall was killed at the battle of Amiens on 8th August 1918. He rose through the ranks having enlisted with his brother in the RE. He was at the Coventry School of Art studying architecture. His father was a tailor in Coventry.

AubreyHall.jpg

55 minutes ago, Bombparty said:

AF Hall was killed at the battle of Amiens on 8th August 1918. He rose through the ranks having enlisted with his brother in the RE. He was at the Coventry School of Art studying architecture. His father was a tailor in Coventry.

AubreyHall.jpg

39 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Aubrey Frederick Hall. Born 12 June 1896, Parkside, Coventry. Resided 20 Britannia St. Architects pupil. Enlisted April 1915.

TR

Many thanks to you both for the additional information. 

3 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Many thanks to you both for the additional information. 

He was my great uncle, both his brother Oswald Hall and his sister, my grandmother, lived into the 1980's. 20 Britannia St was his parent's home, my own mother was born there in 1919. His father was a disabled tailor specializing in "Hunting Pink" for the midland fox hunting set. He made Aubrey's uniform as officers got a clothing allowance rather than be issued with standard uniforms. That he was now an officer and gentleman was a matter of pride for them. The house remained the family home into the 1950's and the shock of his death so close to the end of the war meant his parents kept his room untouched until then. 

21 hours ago, Bombparty said:

He was my great uncle, both his brother Oswald Hall and his sister, my grandmother, lived into the 1980's. 20 Britannia St was his parent's home, my own mother was born there in 1919. His father was a disabled tailor specializing in "Hunting Pink" for the midland fox hunting set. He made Aubrey's uniform as officers got a clothing allowance rather than be issued with standard uniforms. That he was now an officer and gentleman was a matter of pride for them. The house remained the family home into the 1950's and the shock of his death so close to the end of the war meant his parents kept his room untouched until then. 

A poignant story.

I'm glad you found my post and am truly grateful for the personal information.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I know this is over a year after the post, but I have just found it.  My great uncle, Wilfred Dunning is on the 1st row, forth fromleft. Amazing!

Regards

Guy Pool

• 1 year later...

I'm late to the party but what an astonishing thing to find.  I have the identical postcard but without the names other than my Great Grandfather who is Harry Hugh Joiner (4th row 1.).   I'm not sure that anyone mentions this but it would appear that many of the names on the back were written by the men in question (I recognise my Great Grandfathers handwriting) which is a nice touch for those looking to connect to the past.

Regards

Simon

On 11/11/2018 at 00:13, Guy Pool said:

Hello

I know this is over a year after the post, but I have just found it.  My great uncle, Wilfred Dunning is on the 1st row, forth fromleft. Amazing!

Regards

Guy Pool

Sorry I missed your post - glad you found it!

2 hours ago, SHJ said:

I'm late to the party but what an astonishing thing to find.  I have the identical postcard but without the names other than my Great Grandfather who is Harry Hugh Joiner (4th row 1.).   I'm not sure that anyone mentions this but it would appear that many of the names on the back were written by the men in question (I recognise my Great Grandfathers handwriting) which is a nice touch for those looking to connect to the past.

Regards

Simon

Hi Simon,

I’m glad you found my post, and thanks for the information regarding the handwriting.  I have two copies of the card, one with, the other without names. 

The back of my photo (in Harry's writing) has: "No2 Coy RE OC Batt Kelham Hall Oct 1917" with my Grannies writing adding his location for those that couldn't pick him out.  Harry signed up in 1914 and served in Gallipoli where (I believe) he was commissioned in the field.  He was wounded twice and had a kidney and lung removed in separate incidents - one was in 1918 as I have photo of him recuperating in Wandsworth hospital.  Photos attached from my collection are from early on in the war when he was a Sapper and then later as a Lieutenant.  He survived the war and went on to create a successful building / estate agency business in North London.  He was a formidable man!  He died in 1979 at the age of 92.

HH Joiner as Sapper.png

HH Joiner as 2nd Lieutenant.png

Edited by SHJ

• 4 months later...

Thank you so much for posting this. Leonard Starling Daynes (back row, third from right) was my great great grandfather! I've been trying to hunt down his history for some time and this is one of the few solid pieces I've found.

I have also found mention of him being stationed in Greece in 1916 (he wrote a letter to an individual in Canada who wrote to the local newspaper about it), and that he was awarded the Gold Cross of Karageorge for services on the Balkan front, but no mention as to specifics.

I'm currently waiting for his war records to be digitised or for this bloody pandemic to finally blow over so I can get to the royal archives in Kew to look at them myself.

Any further research ideas would be extremely helpful!

Hi,

I’m glad you found the thread and appreciate the information regarding the award. Help yourself to a copy of the picture. If you ever make it to Kew I’d be interested to hear some details of his service. 

• 6 months later...

I've been doing a little ancestry and archiving during lockdowns and came across my copy of the Kelham Hall Officer Cadet photo from Oct 1917 and I thought I'd upload it to the thread because it has a little more clarity around the edges than GWF1967's image.  Have all the men been traced or are is there still some research required?

No 2 Coy Royal Engineers Officer Cadet Battalion Kelham Hall Oct 1917.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just some background on William Knight Fyall. He was one of five sons of Thomas Lang/Laing Fyall (iron merchant) and Annie Knight Fyall:

1. Andrew, Pte 81289 16th Bn Canadian Infantry, fatally wounded Chaulnes 17.8.18 France

2. William Knight, Pte 16th Royal Scots, 2/Lt R.E. (poss photo ref but cannot find at newbattleatwar)

3. Thomas L.

4. Robert Knight, ironmonger, Pte 2087/350413 9th Royal Scots, 2/Lt Royal Highlanders  

5. John Cunningham Knight Fyall, [census transcribed as James?], bank clerk, Pte 1476/200190 4th Royal Scots, missing presumed dead 19.4.17, Jerusalem Memorial

On 16/12/2020 at 10:45, SHJ said:

I've been doing a little ancestry and archiving during lockdowns and came across my copy of the Kelham Hall Officer Cadet photo from Oct 1917 and I thought I'd upload it to the thread because it has a little more clarity around the edges than GWF1967's image.  Have all the men been traced or are is there still some research required?

No 2 Coy Royal Engineers Officer Cadet Battalion Kelham Hall Oct 1917.png

Thanks for posting your copy SHJ. 

All the men have been identified apart from the chap far left back row, unfortunately the edge of the card had been trimmed and his name has been removed in the process.  

12 hours ago, Neill Gilhooley said:

Just some background on William Knight Fyall.

Many thanks for the information Neil. 

• 10 months later...
On 21/01/2020 at 14:26, SHJ said:

The back of my photo (in Harry's writing) has: "No2 Coy RE OC Batt Kelham Hall Oct 1917" with my Grannies writing adding his location for those that couldn't pick him out.  Harry signed up in 1914 and served in Gallipoli where (I believe) he was commissioned in the field.  He was wounded twice and had a kidney and lung removed in separate incidents - one was in 1918 as I have photo of him recuperating in Wandsworth hospital.  Photos attached from my collection are from early on in the war when he was a Sapper and then later as a Lieutenant.  He survived the war and went on to create a successful building / estate agency business in North London.  He was a formidable man!  He died in 1979 at the age of 92.

HH Joiner as Sapper.png

HH Joiner as 2nd Lieutenant.png

I would be fascinated to see the picture of him recuperating in Wandsworth Hospital in 1918 - my grandfather, Lt. W.T. Bassett RAF was also at No. 3LGH Wandsworth in the summer of 1918 after being injured in a flying accident in France.

1 hour ago, Ottawa1880 said:

I would be fascinated to see the picture of him recuperating in Wandsworth Hospital in 1918 - my grandfather, Lt. W.T. Bassett RAF was also at No. 3LGH Wandsworth in the summer of 1918 after being injured in a flying accident in France.

Here you go!  It's a tiny snapshot (2 by 1.5 inches).  The photo is marked Roehampton hospital on the reverse.  Harry is the first on the left.  His mother & father and wife and young son (my grandfather) lived in Roehampton so they must have been very pleased he was recuperating there (or maybe even why he was there).  There's some cheerfulness despite wounds & a dapper chap in the window.

Harry Joiner 1918 Roehampton Hospital.pdf

29 minutes ago, SHJ said:

Here you go!  It's a tiny snapshot (2 by 1.5 inches).  The photo is marked Roehampton hospital on the reverse.  Harry is the first on the left.  His mother & father and wife and young son (my grandfather) lived in Roehampton so they must have been very pleased he was recuperating there (or maybe even why he was there).  There's some cheerfulness despite wounds & a dapper chap in the window.

Harry Joiner 1918 Roehampton Hospital.pdf 920.79 kB · 3 downloads

Cheers SHJ - appreciated.