Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry O'lone

Cline O'Lone

It's hard to tell? Not a clear death registered for a John O'Lone in 1884 other than a man born in 1799...too old.

So I haven't given up hope of connecting them it's just a shame so many of the key census records for that period don't exist in Ireland.

The use of royal names and what are now classed as more Catholic names, Mary, James, Patrick & Veronica suggest that they were a mixed religion wider family....or is name thing just a post 1916 thing?

My hunch is Henry and John are more likely to be cousins....

The name thing is correct seems after 1916 alot off prodestant families shyed away from the catholic sounding names,

and  visera versa for the catholic familes.

Cousins would be good , the sad thing is as you say about the records  most were destroyed in around  1916 in dublin.

From what i have been told presbyterian ministers travelled around there area , trying to record knowledge from local people

but i believe it was scant as many had moved away , died etc.

I have a final leap of faith...bearing in mind the name O'Lone is not that common a name....and connections in the Middlesbrough area.

In a Antrim Catholic Parish Register of 1830 Patrick O'Lone marries Cath Carey, on the same page is the baptism of John O'Lone, and a Malcolm O'lone in 1928....130 years later a Malcolm O'Lone is born in the Middlesbrough area.

So I am sticking with cousins Antrim, oneside of the family Catholic the other Presbytarian...!

I am from a Presbytarian family and my aunt swore blind she would never allow her children to date a catholic....my cousin is now married to a catholic lady...So what's your favorite whiskey again!

Could be possible as i always expect the unexpected ,  only thing is our John was baptised Presbyterian on his marriage certificate.

Also says born in Belfast.

Edited by Cline O'Lone

Have just found this, your John married Mary Spence born in 1849, daughter of Robert and Maltilda....note the place of residence...is Cloughcor and Clough the same place?

Screenshot_20170930-165137.jpg.3be6dc8eefe8ffbfd08954a289e12bce.jpg

Yes i think there were many spellings it just depended on the writers preference,

Glenarm and Clough are just a stones throw apart.

In 1872 when they were married Robert Spence was living in Belfast working as a Ships Carpenter  a

good profession  i would assume .

This Clough i believe was at the time was mostly inhabited by Ulster Scots hence the Presbyterian religion.

Edited by Cline O'Lone

hello,

couple of things may be of interest.

The 1912 Ulster Covenant is signed by quite a few O'Loan's they are all Broughshane Ballymena way, Co Antrim, so very close to Clough.

Highly likely they will be Protestant.

Similarly there are a couple of O'Loan's mentioned in 'Eddies Extracts' which is primarily for Presbyterian records but has Belfast Telegraph extracts, one of which refers's to a Hugh O'Loan and an accident when a man gets killed again from these Co Antrim people.

There is a James O'Loan listed in the Presbyterian war memorial rolls for Wellington St Ballymena Church, but he is the only one listed from all Ireland's Presbyterian Churches, unusual perhaps with the number of military O'Loan's.

We are Presbyterian from Donegal originally. Great grandmothers brother married a RC. He named all his children after our family side so they were Samuel, Edward, Margaret, Caroline, continuing the names used previously. James runs back in our family from me at least 8 generations, I assume biblical name, where a lot of Protestant names are taken from.

There have been a number of Co Antrim UVF rolls found in the last few years but not my area so can't advise what districts they cover. But I have to say for some reason the name O'Loan comes to mind regarding the UVF.

Holemoley, you say you have the Officers names, are these just the senior Battalion Commanders or smaller district officers? I have some rolls but they are for Londonderry & Tyrone.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thats very interesting reading, we have never met any people with the O'Loan surname spelt that way and would off assumed them to be RC and unrelated pause

for thought.

Have you come across a Patrick O'Lone anywere who was definately presbyterian and father of John and perhaps Henry as we are stumped,  the  Patrick we

found was RC and the ages didnt work out.

John was born in Belfast about 1842 so in theory his Father Patrick would have been born around 1820s?

The whole family back then were very military orientated if we could just link John, Henry and Patrick would put an unsolved question to rest.

Best Regards Cline.

• 1 year later...
On 29/09/2017 at 21:22, Cline O'Lone said:

Just looked Robert James O'Lone married Gladys Louise Edwards on 22nd August 1912  in Dover , their son Robert John

rose to the rank of Colonel was awarded the DSO for fighting in Burma with the Ghurkas during the second world war so

mike beehan is a far off relation, Robert Johns son Digby rose to rank of Brigadier and his family currently reside at Sandringham.

Hi Cline, I'm distantly related to you.