Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry O'lone

Cline O'Lone

Hi i am a trying to find information on a Henry o'lone born about 1840 in clough  we believe he served with the 38th Reg of Foot until 1878 ish.

We think he may have been  a brother or cousin to  John O'lone Quartermaster sergeant who renlisted at age 73 yrs, was father of Captain

WP O'lone DCM and Captain  RJ O'lone MID  and would appreciate any information on Henry O'lone.

. I have kindly been told he retired in the Colchester area but was back in ireland about 1885 for spell before returning

to Midlesborough area. It could be possible he was a commander in the UVF in Clough but cant be sure.

Edited by Cline O'Lone

Hi,

On Find My Past there are a number of pre war records for a Henry O'Lone born 1840 from Clough, Antrim of the 38th Regt of Foot a pre runner of the Staffordshire Regt.

Andy

There are then later Boer war records for a H O'Lone Royal Irish Fusiliers 

#2778.

Then WW1 MIC for Henry O'Lone #13064 5th Btn RIF, wounded 1915. Tansferred to the Labour Corps in 1917.

13 minutes ago, Cline O'Lone said:

Hi Andy,

just looked at find my past it only shows me some information looking me to cough up £££s,

the medals and awards he earned that would mean a long career in the army i assume ?

Do you have any record off his death ?

Best Regards Cline.

This man enlisted 1858 and served until 1876, much time spent in India.

I also have a list of 1914 UVF Commanders from 1914, which he doesn't appear to be on, but it annotated that it had changed due to the call up of original commanders...

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Wow Andy seems soldiering was in my familys blood , we can only trace back to QMS John O'lone and his two sons

military careers which were in todays standards unthinkable . That would fit with the india connection as other family members

Charles Henry Spence and Annie O'lone nee spence familys were in Poona and Peshawar Bengal.

This is amazing thankyou so much !!!

Cline, unless the place of birth is correct there is no 100% guarantee that this Henry is your Henry, and the Boer war maybe a coincidence.  The WW1 could a number of other Henry O'Lones.

Captain R J O’Lone, 2nd Royal irish Rifles,. Who was mortally wounded just a week ago, dying in a few minutes, was the third son of Quartermaster Sergeant O’Lone, Victoria Barracks, Belfast and Loughries, newtownards. He was given a commission in June last. His brother, captain W P O’Lone, D.C.M, was wounded at Hooge, and is still missing. Deceased’s widow resides at Bangor, and his brother Ralph at Portadown.

Sergeant W O’Lone, 7511, 2nd Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles, for conspicuous gallantry on numerous occasons under most difficult circumstances, especially at Illies; and also for gallantly in voluntarily conveying important messages under heavy rifle and shell fire on two occasions.

Captain W P O’Lone, 2nd RIRifles, who has been missing since 25th September, is now regarded as having been killed at Hooge. A young Ulster man, well known in Belfast and Loughries(?), deceased won the DCM, and got his commission from the ranks in the present war.

Yes we have johns records and a newspaper cutting about his death and recieving a gun carriage burial with full military  honours,

Im not sure about mike beehan as in our records theres no mention of edwards in any off the family trees,

Though im going to try and contact him.

42 minutes ago, Cline O'Lone said:

Yes we have johns records and a newspaper cutting about his death and recieving a gun carriage burial with full military  honours,

Im not sure about mike beehan as in our records theres no mention of edwards in any off the family trees,

Though im going to try and contact him.

John's records from his time in the 20th of Foot are also in FMP, I was hoping it would name brothers...sadly just his wife and Children including Walter and Robert...seeing service in China, Japan, Mauritius and the Cape of Good Hope...

Henry is on the 1901 Census as an Army Pensioner...but Religion is RC...whereas John is Presbyterian on the 1901(I am from Irish Presbytarian blood by my Father).

So is there Roman Catholic leanings in your Family tree?

Very conscious the two things never to question with an Irishman is politics and religion...or was it favourite Whiskey and Football!

Andy

This is whats so strange theyre arent any roman catholics right down the line, perhaps john and henry were cousins ,

I know there were o'lones in co.tyrone  and o'lones in co. antrim  but a lot of dates and names dont add up.

Johns whole family were military orientated his daughters married soldiers and sons married into military families

so i just dont think so.

its strange john has no records of brothers or sisters , there are o'lones in scotland but still no records that match.

Just looked Robert James O'Lone married Gladys Louise Edwards on 22nd August 1912  in Dover , their son Robert John

rose to the rank of Colonel was awarded the DSO for fighting in Burma with the Ghurkas during the second world war so

mike beehan is a far off relation, Robert Johns son Digby rose to rank of Brigadier and his family currently reside at Sandringham.

Henry is proving an enigma...but on the Service records there is any intetesting comment in regard where he will reside on Discharge....Colchester..?

There is a Henry O'Lone born in 1840 in Colchester...Is Henry a son of a soldier? There is a suggested name Lanty O'Lone 

On the 1901 census Henry's YoB is 1844/45...Then you have a Henry O'Lone YoB 1844 marrying a Margaret Dorrien in 1867 in County Tyrone...but they to seem pop up in Lanarkshire in 1871 a General Labourer), surely can't be Henry 38th of Foot as he was still serving...Henry then pops up in 1891 in the North East.

Andy

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Lanty o'lone turns up in american records but a Catholic , my cousin who is a painter was working at a retired majors house in the early 80s

was asked by the major was he related to henry o'lone the UVF commander as his father served under him but unfortunately he cant remember his name and died a few years later,

Colchester is interesting as no resuls of death etc in irish records  and our thoughts were soldiers

sons also. Henry and margaret emigrated to USA from scotland on ship

Mohongo so rules them out.

Edited by Cline O'Lone

The Henry O'Lone on the 1891 Census in Middlesbrough is the born in Colchester Henry, all very mysterious or should I say confusing....

On the UVF front Clough did have a Company, which is where the 38th of Foot Henry gave as his place of Birth. They used to parade at the Presbytarian Church.

I have a book called Ulster Will Fight...authored by David R Orr and David Truesdale, might be worth a read or contact the authors?

Cline,

As we are going off piste here and not WW1, feel free to message me.

But, Not necessarily, there is another Henry O'Lone born in Omagh in 1879 which would fit as a Boer war era man, and still young enough to fight in France...

Ok bear with me on this!

Colchester Henry YoB is 1841/2 off the 1891 Census, Clough (38th of Foot) Henry is 1840/1

Clough Henry's record from 1876 says he is going to reside in Colchester on leaving, a 1878 Directory for Colchester has Henry OLone Shopkeeper, he then pops up again 1891 in Middlesbrough... 

1865/75 Pension Record for the 38th of Foot has his pension payable under the District of Ipswich....not very far at all from Colchester...18 Miles.

1875/1885 records have his pension being paid back to Ireland.

With a May 1881 pension record  for him payable to Belfast referencing Sunderland!

The 1881 Census has a Henry OLone born in Ireland abt 1842 living in Bishop Auckland husband of Louisa (Born in Colchester in 1844 died as Louisa O'Lone in West Ham, Essex 1929). Their Marriage is record for 1865 Henry O'Lone married Louisa Scarff....guess where is it registered.....Colchester....!

They had two children Matthew and Louisa born in Alverstoke/Gosport in 1869....look at the service record the Fort reference is in Gosport.

The daughter marries George Henry Minks in 1895, the Father is Henry O'Lone Army Pensioner.

The Church is St John the Baptist Church Hoxton, London...which is not a Roman Catholic Church...

George Henry Minks born in Colchester) late of the West Riding Regiment dies in 1896 in Shoreditch, their Son George Henry A Minks serves with the Queens Regiment and Labour Corps.

All may be pure coincidence, But I am 99.9999% sure Colchester Henry and Clough (38th of Foot) Henry are the same man!

Screenshot_20170930-112249.jpg.82a262ad0c1ea6771afe86cbfb8728dd.jpg

Screenshot_20170930-112817.jpg.8b10df2b1d84583bfbd411e30c17cfcd.jpg

This is mind blowing  the whole story is so similar to Johns , when he retired from the army  he also couldn't settle in one place.

He tried various locations and enterprizes and eventually bought a small farm although from what we have been told about him

he was never happy until he rejoined the army at 73yrs to train troops.

I guess the military was their life blood and soldiering was there passion.

I firmly believe them to be  brothers .

The chances off 2 unrelated men born close to each other  similar age , careers  religion cant  just be coincidence.

The record we have of Johns father was a retired shopkeeper in Belfast, similar to Henry !!

All i can say is 

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND EFFORT.

You have uncovered history we could never off imagined.

Best Regards Cline.

On 30/09/2017 at 23:21, Cline O'Lone said:

This is mind blowing  the whole story is so similar to Johns , when he retired from the army  he also couldn't settle in one place.

He tried various locations and enterprizes and eventually bought a small farm although from what we have been told about him

he was never happy until he rejoined the army at 73yrs to train troops.

I guess the military was their life blood and soldiering was there passion.

I firmly believe them to be  brothers .

The chances off 2 unrelated men born close to each other  similar age , careers  religion cant  just be coincidence.

The record we have of Johns father was a retired shopkeeper in Belfast, similar to Henry !!

All i can say is 

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND EFFORT.

You have uncovered history we could never off imagined.

Best Regards Cline.

Just to Confim Colchester and Clough Henry are the same men.

Louisa & Henry had a daughter Mary Ann born in 1866, she died in India in 1870.

Screenshot_20170930-143047.jpg.4aa791b29ec44df49d6b0fe980148b13.jpg

I have a potential fly in the O'Lone ointment.

In Middlesbrough, in the same parish (St Hildas) Henry was living as a Boarder was in 1891. There is a William O'Lone born in Ballymena and working in the Iron Works where Henry is working too...clearly a relative... As you well know William is the least Roman Catholic name I know, but is slightly confused by him having a daughter (as did Henry) Mary and a son Patrick...

So if I can identify William's father, then that may resolve it.....

I nearly got very excited, William married his first wife Rose Bennett in 1884, the father is John O'Lone who sadly died in 1884, and it was a Roman Catholic service......

It

The plot thickens !!!  Johns father was Patrick so different family ?