Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Cecil Edward Peter Stewart-Robertson Cameron Highlanders

Skipman

Now if Lloyd was his father he moved to St pancras with Susannah Drouet- you'll find them (no children) there in 1881. In 1891 Susannah is a widow (Lloyd died 1888), with her mother Elizabeth Jary in 1891 Norfolk. I would suggest Lloyd Richter Creak would be son of Robert Creak Drouet who married in Bermondsey in 1850.

Sophia GS Drouet died at the age of 81 in Aylesbury- I can't find a birth for her or any census records  and Cecil EP isn;t very visible either!

On 09/10/2018 at 07:24, rolt968 said:

Interesting. As Cecil Edward Peter Drouet he married (probably Ellen Elliott) in Fulham in 1904. Robertson was certainly his mother's surname not his father's.

I think my Drouet / Sewart Robertson stuff is on another computer.

RM

Note that in 1917 that image shows him as a bachelor- but he was married in 1904.... and that he thought his fatjer's name was llloyd Drouet Robertson....

13 hours ago, Madmeg said:

Now if Lloyd was his father he moved to St pancras with Susannah Drouet- you'll find them (no children) there in 1881. In 1891 Susannah is a widow (Lloyd died 1888), with her mother Elizabeth Jary in 1891 Norfolk. I would suggest Lloyd Richter Creak would be son of Robert Creak Drouet who married in Bermondsey in 1850.

Sophia GS Drouet died at the age of 81 in Aylesbury- I can't find a birth for her or any census records  and Cecil EP isn;t very visible either!

I don't think that the ancestry tree is accurate. Susannah was if anything Cecil's stepmother. The divorce papers are very interesting.

There was one son of the marriage of Lloyd Drouet and Sophia Geraldine Stewart Robertson. Lloyd accused Sophia of adultery with a man called Dennis, however she counterclaimed that Lloyd had been committing adultery with a maid servant Susannah Jarry (various spellings of both names).

Sophia had another child, christened Anita Alicia Norton Drouet in Westminster in March 1861. (ancestry).

Sophia Geraldine Stewart Robertson was born in Ireland (army births, deaths and marriages - FMP) see my earlier post.

I suspect that Cecil was in the army in 1881 overseas in 1881. Presumably he was not using his own name in 1891 (three years a deserter). We have him in the 1901 Census. 1911 is interesting. He should be in Eastbourne unless he had already done his disappearing act.

Findagrave has a gravestone for Peter Drouet, assistant military storekeeper who died in Nassau in 1862, aged 69.

I wonder when the army found out Cecil was Drouet - quite late by the looks of the MIC.

RM

It is very difficult to know what to believe at times since certain bits of some stories appear to be true.

Peter Drouet  appears in a number of Army Lists in the 1840s as an Ordnance Store Keeper acting as Barrack Master in Canada. (various Hart's Army Lists -FMP)

He seems to have been an army pensioner. There is a list in FMP with neither title not date.

There is a Knapp connection, though I haven't found out if there really was any inheritance or indeed a cousin.. Laura Frances Drouet (daughter of Peter Drouet - therefore Cecil EP Drouet's aunt) married Humphrey Marshall Knapp in Christchurch, Bahamas on 2 October 1849 (FMP).

I had wondered if the 1917 marriage was bigamous. In theory at least there should have been a comment on the marriage record saying so - but perhaps word didn't get back to the Scottish authorities. The first wife was supposed to be the niece of an MP.

RM

You're doing a great job RM. Thanks for your help. This is not essential to my research but it is of great interest. Please only pursue it if you are enjoying it. I will keep looking as and when I can. I have attached another part of his wedding certificate (his is the bottom one). There is a mark in the margin of both but not sure what it says or whether is is significant.

Mike

temp wed cert.PNG

On 11/10/2018 at 11:14, rolt968 said:

I don't think that the ancestry tree is accurate. Susannah was if anything Cecil's stepmother. The divorce papers are very interesting.

There was one son of the marriage of Lloyd Drouet and Sophia Geraldine Stewart Robertson. Lloyd accused Sophia of adultery with a man called Dennis, however she counterclaimed that Lloyd had been committing adultery with a maid servant Susannah Jarry (various spellings of both names).

Sophia had another child, christened Anita Alicia Norton Drouet in Westminster in March 1861. (ancestry).

Sophia Geraldine Stewart Robertson was born in Ireland (army births, deaths and marriages - FMP) see my earlier post.

I suspect that Cecil was in the army in 1881 overseas in 1881. Presumably he was not using his own name in 1891 (three years a deserter). We have him in the 1901 Census. 1911 is interesting. He should be in Eastbourne unless he had already done his disappearing act.

Findagrave has a gravestone for Peter Drouet, assistant military storekeeper who died in Nassau in 1862, aged 69.

I wonder when the army found out Cecil was Drouet - quite late by the looks of the MIC.

RM

I can't see the ancestry tree- not a subscriber. Where did you find the divorce claims? That confirm the Susannah I found anyway- later living back in Norfolk with her mother Elizabeth jary (sic). There are a number of Drouets in the London area who might be related to the father. Don;t know if there are any clues there? Seems like he must have had quite a dysfunctionl family time as a child. Sohia geraldine kept the surname Drouet until her death. Wonder who the carter relativs were?

1 hour ago, Madmeg said:

I can't see the ancestry tree- not a subscriber. Where did you find the divorce claims? That confirm the Susannah I found anyway- later living back in Norfolk with her mother Elizabeth jary (sic). There are a number of Drouets in the London area who might be related to the father. Don;t know if there are any clues there? Seems like he must have had quite a dysfunctionl family time as a child. Sohia geraldine kept the surname Drouet until her death. Wonder who the carter relativs were?

And I thought I was doing well saying where everything came from. The divorce papers are in ancestry.

RM

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:40, Skipman said:

You're doing a great job RM. Thanks for your help. This is not essential to my research but it is of great interest. Please only pursue it if you are enjoying it. I will keep looking as and when I can. I have attached another part of his wedding certificate (his is the bottom one). There is a mark in the margin of both but not sure what it says or whether is is significant.

Mike

temp wed cert.PNG

Thanks Mike. I have probably nearly got as far as I can go. However this one of those intriguing threads which I can't leave alone while I keep finding things.

RM

Many thanks again both. Little did I know when I started looking at this soldier whet a strange story would unravel. I will have to get his service file but not sure when I will be able to do so.

Mike

And it gets stranger!

Frederick Freer Robertson (CEP Drouet's maternal grandfather) had a son by his second wife; baptised Frederick Freer Leslie Robertson in Southampton in 1845 (by which time Frederick Freer senior was a pay sergeant). Frederick Freer Leslie Robertson became a physician, dying in 1891 (probate registers - ancestry, many newspapers - FMP). He had a son , Frederick Leslie Robertson, born in 1880 who became a Royal Navy officer (at least he was in 1910 when he married - ancestry) and (guess what - he married the daughter of an MP!) He would have been CEP Drouet's half first cousin.

Sergeant Frederick Freer Robertson's father was William Robertson who was Asst Com General (Assistant Commissary General?) (marriage certificate in ancestry and various reports of the death of FFL Robertson in 1891 -FMP).

I have found various entries in or quoting the London Gazette about Lloyd Richter Drouet's being commissioned and promoted without purchase in 2 West India Regiment. He retired as a captain.

RM

22 hours ago, rolt968 said:

And I thought I was doing well saying where everything came from. The divorce papers are in ancestry.

RM

Ahh- like I said- not an ancestry subscriber so can nly search the index- didn;t even know they held divorce papers!

I am not sure if this takes us anywhere near Clan Donnachaidh or not.

(It is worth noting that we have not found a single valid Scottish document. Anyway here goes.)

To hijack the opening of Soap (for those old enough to remember) - "Confused? You will be after this week's episode..."

Sophia, widow of the late William Robertson, Assistant Commissary General died at Vauxhall in July 1839 aged 57. (Various newspapers - FMP). This includes a Perth newspaper, but I think it has more or less the same deaths column as all the others.

Frederick Freer Robertson was baptised in Quebec on 1 February 1818 (born 21 December 1817). His father was William Robertson, Deputy Store Keeper General. (Baptismal Record, Quebec Garrison - FMP). (Noah Freer was one of his godfathers.)

Sarah Robertson, daughter of William Robertson, "Officer of the Commissariat Department" married Richard Bright in East Teignmouth on 17 May 1848. She was "found dead in bed", subsequently buried East Teignmouth (churchyard) on 23 December 1848 - aged 40. (Marriage Certificate and burial record -FMP). If I have got him right Richard Bright subsequently became an MP.  (How close is Teignmouth to Newton Abbot?)

You may remember that CEP Drouet said that at one time he had been an actor. In the Stage of 3 June 1920 (FMP), Cecil Stewart Robertson is one of the members of the Actors Association for whose address the association was enquiring. Cecil Stewart Robertson spoke in a debate at a meeting of the association (The Stage, 5 February 1914 - FMP).

Incidentally for the really confused I have all this on Family Tree Maker.

RM

Edit: One more: From Morning Post, 1 October 1821, quoting the London Gazette: William Robertson, Deputy Store Keeper General to be Assistant Commissary General.

Edited by rolt968

• 3 months later...
On 15/10/2018 at 04:14, rolt968 said:

I am not sure if this takes us anywhere near Clan Donnachaidh or not.

(It is worth noting that we have not found a single valid Scottish document. Anyway here goes.)

To hijack the opening of Soap (for those old enough to remember) - "Confused? You will be after this week's episode..."

Sophia, widow of the late William Robertson, Assistant Commissary General died at Vauxhall in July 1839 aged 57. (Various newspapers - FMP). This includes a Perth newspaper, but I think it has more or less the same deaths column as all the others.

Frederick Freer Robertson was baptised in Quebec on 1 February 1818 (born 21 December 1817). His father was William Robertson, Deputy Store Keeper General. (Baptismal Record, Quebec Garrison - FMP). (Noah Freer was one of his godfathers.)

Sarah Robertson, daughter of William Robertson, "Officer of the Commissariat Department" married Richard Bright in East Teignmouth on 17 May 1848. She was "found dead in bed", subsequently buried East Teignmouth (churchyard) on 23 December 1848 - aged 40. (Marriage Certificate and burial record -FMP). If I have got him right Richard Bright subsequently became an MP.  (How close is Teignmouth to Newton Abbot?)

You may remember that CEP Drouet said that at one time he had been an actor. In the Stage of 3 June 1920 (FMP), Cecil Stewart Robertson is one of the members of the Actors Association for whose address the association was enquiring. Cecil Stewart Robertson spoke in a debate at a meeting of the association (The Stage, 5 February 1914 - FMP).

Incidentally for the really confused I have all this on Family Tree Maker.

RM

Edit: One more: From Morning Post, 1 October 1821, quoting the London Gazette: William Robertson, Deputy Store Keeper General to be Assistant Commissary General.

how close is Teignmouth to Newton Abbott?- just down the road a bit- only a few minutes drive down the bypass these days (traffic allowing) , not sure which bit is "East Teignmouth".

• spof changed the title to Captain Cecil Edward Peter Stewart-Robertson Cameron Highlanders