Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anzac skull

Uncle George

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

I just dropped into the Mutter website http://muttermuseum.org/ to see what is happening about this sorry state of affairs, and was surprised to see that there has been no movement at all since 3 October 2017. An article of that date tells us:

"A date has not yet been formally scheduled for the visit and the presentation of the skull, but it is likely to be coordinated before the end of the year."

http://muttermuseum.org/news/mütter-museum-and-australian-army-reach-agreement-regarding-skull-of-australian-soldier/

Should be featured in due course- neither the Oz Government nor Mutter are likely to do anything underhand  (The former with ball tampering excluded,of course). I hope the Mutter will still produce further information about the skull and the soft-tissue wounds poor Hurdis received. As the skull was preserved and used for teaching by an opthalmologist- so the presumption is that there should be teaching materials held by Mutter as well.

Grisly and unpleasant stuff no doubt- but given the fact that the wounds and suffering of Hurdis were typical of the war, then a publication of full info-however unpleasant  and difficult reading it is, would be historically more appropriate than any continued  sanitised reading of the war. 

Edited by Guest

• 3 months later...

Thomas Hurdis’s skull was reunited yesterday, with his body, The Commonwealth War Graves Commission has tweeted.  I can’t see a report on their website.  No idea if it is possible to link a tweet.

Mandy

Thanks wandererpaul, now why didn’t I think of that.

If you look at the reply to this tweet, it will take you to a news report on Australian TV.

Mandy

A positive outcome to an unfortunate story.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning.

We shall remember them.

Lest we forget.