Remembered Today:

LONGUENESSE (ST. OMER) SOUVENIR CEMETERY photo request

RaySearching

I am seeking the headstone photo of James Wilson Pte 4806  4th Yorks 

From LONGUENESSE (ST. OMER) SOUVENIR CEMETERY  grave ref 11.C.4

CWGC entry

James served under an alias  his true name James Alfred Bossomworth

He is commemorated by the CWGC under the alias he served as

Any assistance in obtaining a headstone photo from the above cemetery would be most appreciated

Regards Ray 

Ray, we could be passing on the way to the house mid October if you can wait. its only 10 mins off the track and the other half needs to go there also.

Chaz thanks for the kind offer 

if the British war graves cannot help I will repost 

I am in no rush just part of my very long term project

Chris thanks for the reply and the Link 

Regards Ray

• 1 year later...

If you're still looking... I'll be there in 10days and will make the pics.

M.

Hi Marilyne 

Thanks

James is still outstanding 

If you can manage to get a photo of his headstone it will be appreciated

will Pm my email address

regards Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Ray, 

I'm sorry...  I had written down the grave reference on the cemetery map... consulted the map of the cemetery but could not find a plot 11, so thought it must be II... so looked all over plot TWO row C without finding. 

Went back again to the website of the Commission, which gives him as grave II.C.4 ... plots are in Roman numerals, so must be plot 2... but 2.C.4 is a Canadian named Clarke... (and in the database listed as 2.C.3 ... but who's counting) Anyway... there's no Wilson in that row... 

So I'm confused... and sorry I could not help you further... I'll have to go back to Longuenesse anyway with a bit nicer weather... we'll try again... 

Marilyne 

D94A0148.JPG.1ce82ebc167408073a9af8f12e476e95.JPG

Marilyne 

Many thanks for trying to obtain the photo much appreciated

will obtain one eventually 

Kind regards Ray

• 4 weeks later...

Ray

I have a photo of Wilson's headstone, but it was taken on a dreadful day; it is the lower of the two names and the headstone is not very good. You can, however, read it so if you'd like to receive a copy, please message me your mail address,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  Ray,     I was most interested in your request for a headstone photo at Longuenesse Souvenir Cemetery, near St. Omer, France. In October 2017 our family found out that my mother (still going strong at 92) had an uncle who served in France during WW1 and is buried at Longuenesse. Previously nobody in the family knew of his existence.

His name is W (William) Russell, he was a wold's waggoner from East Yorkshire. His service number was CHT663 and at Longuenesse he is buried at Plot V (5), Row F, number 39.  He died of the flu epidemic whilst still serving in ASC  on 27th February 1919. As far as we know he served all through the war.

If any of your kind supporters should be able to take a photograph of his headstone, I would be most grateful.

My brother and I are planning a visit to Longuenesse in March 2019 (not confirmed yet) and would be willing to take photos.

I hope you have success Ray.

I will be there in third week of February and happy to snap any needed. It is a lovely cemetery and so close to the old RFC airfield which is worth a look. 

George

On 17/12/2018 at 17:17, bobpike said:

Bob

Thank Bob for the offer, now no longer required as  my request has been previously fulfilled 

Thanks also George and David for your replies

Ray