Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank

Raster Scanning

Can anyone tell me if further research on this tank is possible by its identification number?

Cheers.

John

post-3-1053611695.jpg

I have had very good luck contacting the Tank Museum in Bovington I believe. The curator David Fletcher is quite helpful and knowledgeable. You can get further details at www.tankmuseum.co.uk/

Ralph

Some war diaries record tank numbers, which appear to have been unqiue. I have a listing of some of them for Cambrai and will have a look and post back at some point.

This isn't on the Gibot / Gorczynski list of known tanks which fought at Cambrai, though there are plenty of 27----s and lots of missing numbers. Is it possibly one of those post-war memorial tanks which was set up in a town park - looks a comfortably English scene, doesn't it.

John

It's a Female Mark IV with the 1918 markings given for aircraft recognition and familiar to many people from Second World War tanks i.e. white-red-white stripes. I agree that it looks like a post-war scene in Britain.

Otherwise, I can't help you much more. The number doesn't come up in the tank sources I have. David Fletcher's book 'Landships' has a female No.2739 and I agree with Ralph that he may be your best source of help.

Thank you all for the replies. Ralph I will certainly be contacting David Fletcher, thanks for pointing me in his direction. Paul I would be grateful if you could check your list for me. I too had come to the conclusion the picture was taken post war. Graham and Bryn, I suspect it may be the tank that was placed in Russell Park Bedford. It was melted for scrap in WW2 and I have never seen a confirmed picture of it. Just to add to the confusion, there is a large pile of kitchen chairs behind and to the front of the tank.

John

On a similar vein, does anyone know anything about this tank that was once located near the Guynemer memorial in Poelcapelle?

Dave

post-3-1053669759.jpg