Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wesleycj

Today I read a report of a meeting of Kestevan Appeal Tribunal at Grantham on 11 Dec 1916.  In the Grantham Journal 16 Dec 1916 edition if you have access to the BNA.

There was continual reference to the use of substitutes and one Temporary Exemption was granted pending a substitute being found for the applicant. This is totally new to me and  could someone please give me a simple explanation of how using a substitute worked.

For what it is worth the Tribunal members seemed to be of the opinion that the system was open to abuse and was not working.

Substitution was the replacement of male workers with female workers. So these Temporary Exemptions were granted until a woman could be employed and trained as a substitute or replacement. 

Andy  

Thank you MrSwan for your answer.  It explains why there was reference to the substitutes being in the Army Reserve which was confusing me as to why the army didn't just call them up.  If they were not A1 then it makes sense for the army to use its jurisdiction to use them as reserves to free up a man who was A1.  I suppose a lot of them would have eventually ended up in the Labour Corps when it formed in 1917 or the front line after the March 1918 German offensive.