Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
esthameian

3rd Army Rest Camp

esthameian

I’m the Vice Chairman of the Drinkstone War Memorial Institute (Village Hall) in Suffolk, near Bury St Edmunds. This is our village’s official war memorial and a registered charity. In 2014, to commemorate the centenary of the First World War and to honour the 15 men from Drinkstone who died during the Great War, we decided to mount an exhibition about each man on the 100th anniversary of their deaths. The next centenary we are marking is the death of Private Bertie Phillips of the 2nd/5th Leicestershire Regiment, who was killed in action on 27th September 1917. Among his surviving service papers, there is an entry that says that Private Phillips was recorded as a ‘casualty’ on 5th August 1917 but no further details are given, except that he was sent to the 3rd Army ‘Rest Camp’ (in Boulogne) on the 9th August. Rubber stamps also record that he ‘embarked at Folkestone’ and ‘disembarked in Boulogne’ (which seems to suggest that he was back in England before this?). He rejoined his unit on 20th August.

Does anyone have any more information about 'Rest Camps' (particularly this one) - what exactly were 'Rest Camps'?!

Edited by esthameian
Date not fully entered

sotonmate

As an aside your post awakened a situation I encountered when reading a War Diary (WO95/501) for 53 Casualty Clearing Station (2nd Army at the time). The text indicated it was initially used as a day ailment centre and later (May 1916 to Feb 1917) received the title of 2nd Army Rest Station. I would think it quite likely that 3rd Army did the same with one of it's CCSs.

esthameian

Thank you very much for your comments sotonmate and Terry. I've now searched for the Third/3rd Army Rest Camp online and come across a few references to it being located at Saint-Valery-sur-Somme and being a YMCA camp. However, I've also found a reference to its location being in Boulogne (hence the attribution given in my original posting), at least on 17th September 1916 ~ https://www.passeyfamilytree.org.uk/military/WarDiary1916097thBnRSussRegt.php 

Of course, this might be an error, or could the Camp designation/location have been moved between 1916 and 1917? 

It seems that such 'rest camps' were regarded as 'holiday camps' - see A Short History of the 20th Battalion, King's Royal Rifle Corps (B.E.L. Pioneers) 1915-1919 by Arthur Stanley Tuberville (published by Goddard, Walker & Brown, 1923)

"In September a party of one officer and over thirty men had a fortnight's holiday at the Third Army Rest Camp at StValery-sur-Somme".

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=p64BAAAAMAAJ&q=Third+Army+Rest+Camp+at+St.+Valery-sur-Somme&dq=Third+Army+Rest+Camp+at+St.+Valery-sur-Somme&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMkJ3w88LWAhWCJFAKHWENAA4Q6AEINDAC

Any further thoughts?

esthameian

Terry_Reeves

esthameian

The Boulogne camp  was No 3 Large Rest Camp which was a different establishment.

TR