Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA Siege Batteries

Nick Keyes

I would be very grateful for help tracing the doings of 234 Siege Battery RGA in the Ypres Salient in October 1917, and which guns they were equipped with at the time, as I am attempting to research Gunner Alfred Sandham who died 17 Oct 1917 and is buried in Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery to the west of Ypres.  There seem to be a lot - 315 - of RGA buried here.

Hi Chris

Thank you!  Imwascplanning to go to the PROnsoon, but you've saved me a lot of time and persuaded me to gonahead and download it now.  Very grateful.   

Nick

Nick

the armament of 234 SB was 8in Hows (mechanised). The date of the death of Sandham is 20.10.17 not the 17th. The position of the battery (as you wont find it in the WD) is 3 x Hows in forward position at C15b.75.90 and 3 x Hows in rear position at C15b.25.55. Both Sheet Ypres 28 NW; the forward guns above and just East of Welsh Farm and the rear guns below and West of said farm. at the time the battery had been made up to 6 gun establishment.

Rgds Paul

Paul

I'm very grateful.   Stupid error of mine transcribing Sandham's date of death.  I have downloaded the war diary from the NA, all I need now is a magnifying glass, but it is very good of you to supply the missing detail.  The gun details and battery locations are immensely helpful.  Could I please ask your advice on books?  I could do with a history which lists RFA and RGA locations - and changes in gun issue to batteries - but can only seem to find a few memoirs/histories of individual batteries.   Very many thanks again.   Nick

Nick,

I would start with two Osprey publishing titles, both easily available to purchase over the internet (eg Ebay) and not prohibitively expensive.

i) British Artillery 1914-19 Heavy Artillery by Dale Clarke

ii) British Artillery 1914-19 Field Artillery also by Dale Clarke.

Once graduated from them try 'History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery.  Western Front 1914-18'. By Farndale. This is expensive so perhaps best ordered via inter Library exchange.

'135 Siege Battery. The record of a siege battery on the Western front from Aug16 to Nov18' by Lt D J Walters & Lt C R Hurle Hobbs is another simply because it concerns a battery with the same armament (8in Hows) as your interest.

Rgds Paul

• 1 year later...

Is it possible to find out where 234 Siege Battery were and who they came under on 16 Jul 1917 at the time of the death of 88545 William Thomas Long?  Presumably Ypres salient? 

I know that on 12 July 1917, the Germans used a new gas against the British for the first time: mustard gas, also known as yperiet. This was a bad start for the Allied bombardment that commenced four days later in preparation for a new offensive around Ypres. 

Many thanks

Edited by Blue Dragoon

quote: "Presumably Ypres salient"

Correct. Under 62 HAG from 05.07.17 XIX Corps. Both Corps and HAG HQ at Vlamertinghe; Bty left of Ypres town 28NW  I1d is the closest fix I have for this battery original member signaller when killed.

Rgds Paul