Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East lancs lad again

madman

Afternoon all can any one help on this man the only info I have is from the back of a postcard I picked up at a market can any one help and turn anything up please 

atb Nathan 

than mans any details are as follows 

235983 PTE A ARROWSMITH EAST LANCASHIRE REGIMENT 

thanks again in advance 

Albert. BW and VM rolls show him as 11ELR. Are there any other details on the card? Who it was posted to etc so we can track him down.

Edited by Mark1959

Although he served in the 11th East Lancs, Albert was not an original Accrington Pal. The East Lancs records put him with a group who enlisted in mid 1917, there are no service records for him, so I have no idea where he came from or where he lived.

Edited by Retlaw

The FMP military records are not full. No attestation papers. Several papers re an injury jumping into a trench and a bit on his discharge. It does give a forwarding address of 11, Darley Grove, Farnworth. That is just SE of Bolton. Dob is shown as 1899. Enlisted mid-1915 if I can read some faint scribbling correctly. There is birth reg for a AA in Bolton last quarter of 1899. 

1939 register has an AA living in Bolton. Railway Shunter born 28/11/1899. Married to Ellen L and with presumably son Albert F. Possible death reg 4Q 1965 in Bolton.

However, more research required

And there are more paper inc an attestation filed separately. He seemed to enlist TF with the Manchesters on a 4 year stint. Attestation dated 15/6/15, Did not go to the BEF until 21/6/18 and was demobbed  5/3/19. NOK - Father James at that address. His number was 5319 and there is also 277476 stamped on the docs. He can be placed in St Omer in Jan 1919.

Based on that he is probably the AA living in Beswick St, Manchester with his father James and mother Sarah in 1911. Place of birth given as Farnworth, Bolton. Aged 11. His Dad is a "Railway Detective".

He originally enlisted into 5 Loyal North Lancs on 10/06/1915 at Bolton. He transferred to 2/7 Manchesters on 18/10/1915. I will look for him in the Bolton Evening News "Rally to the Flag" next week. He should be mentioned. Three reserve Bns of 5 LNL were recruited in Bolton in 1915.

Brian

11 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

He originally enlisted into 5 Loyal North Lancs on 10/06/1915 at Bolton. He transferred to 2/7 Manchesters on 18/10/1915. I will look for him in the Bolton Evening News "Rally to the Flag" next week. He should be mentioned. Three reserve Bns of 5 LNL were recruited in Bolton in 1915.

Brian

Hi Brian thanks a lot I I may where did you get the info 

regards nathanNathan

9 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi Nathan,

This seems to be coming together nicely. Any chance of posting a copy of postcard so that we can put a face to the name?

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris I certainly can , I'll dig it out and take a photo of it 

atb

nathan

15 hours ago, madman said:

Hi Brian thanks a lot I I may where did you get the info 

regards nathanNathan

Nathan

It's in his Service Record. 

Ah cheers Brian so is this my man you have service records for , does it show his service number above , where are his service records as I don't have access to Fmp or ancestry currently apologies for all the questions 

nathan

There is little option if you do not want to pay sub to a genealogy site. A trip to the National Archives at Kew is the other option. Sometimes the sites have a free week and you could wait for one of those.  I have utilised my membership of the sites to point you in the right direction as many of my fellow contributors do. A thank you would have been appreciated. 

Hi mark I apologise if I appear ungrateful ,but every post I have made I thank everyone if that is not clear I apologise , but I do say thanks and really appreciate any help and contribution 

On flicking back I do apprear to have missed thanking you mark my apologies and many thanks really Appreciate your help as I do all contributions 

best regards

nathan 

Nathan

His LNL number was 5319, Manchester Regt number 277476 and his East Lancs number 235983. The medal has 235983 because he did not serve in an overseas theatre of war until he was in the East Lancs. You can usually access Ancestry at your local library.

Brian

31 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

Nathan

His LNL number was 5319, Manchester Regt number 277476 and his East Lancs number 235983. The medal has 235983 because he did not serve in an overseas theatre of war until he was in the East Lancs. You can usually access Ancestry at your local library.

Brian

Thanks again Brian 

nathan

From the Bolton Evening News Friday 11/06/1915 showing the recruits of the previous day. The Reserve Bns of 5 LNL raised in Bolton in 1915 were known locally as the Pals Battalion for recruiting purposes. 

rtf11061915.jpg.46d00852edc1aa58a1fac85a8e3a8c2f.jpg

3 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

From the Bolton Evening News Friday 11/06/1915 showing the recruits of the previous day. The Reserve Bns of 5 LNL raised in Bolton in 1915 were known locally as the Pals Battalion for recruiting purposes. 

rtf11061915.jpg

Thanks very much Brian your efforts art much appreciated 

nathan

• 9 months later...

Hi

I have just picked up his Victory medal.Also 26 pages on him on Ancestry

Simon

Name: Albert Arrowsmith Gender: Male Marital Status: Married Birth Date: 28 Nov 1899 Residence Year: 1939 Address: 7 Residence Place: Bolton, Lancashire, England Occupation: Railway Shunter
Inferred Spouse: Ellen L Arrowsmith Inferred Children: Albert F Arrowsmith
Albert Arrowsmith in the 1939 England and Wales Register