Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

55th West Lancashire Division Givenchy Centenary

wmfinch

Hello All,

I noticed a posting from 2008 that mentioned a 90th Anniversary commemoration at the 55th West Lancashire Division's Memorial in Givenchy.

Is anyone aware of a 100 Anniversary event planned please?  I am aware of a number of folks who would be prepared to attend (all descendants of men of D/276 Battery).  

The defence of Givenchy and Festubert in April 1918 was the 55th's crowning Glory and I think it would be a crying shame if no commemoration takes place.

I am happy to help make it happen, but would need guidance and assistance.

V/R

Wayne Finch

• 6 months later...

I apologise for this makeshift notification which is reproduced from the Liverpool Scottish Regimental Association Facebook page (closed group)

UPDATE as at Thursday 5 April on the Battle of Givenchy 55th (West Lancashire) Division Centenary Service at the Anglican Cathedral Monday 9th April. This is the exact centenary of the action at Givenchy in which the 55th Division stopped the final German offensive in its tracks and gave not an inch of ground, an action of which the final despatch said 'Its importance would be impossible to over-estimate'. This is being organised by Major Paul Knight (not by the LSRA or the LS Museum Trust) who is the NW Staff Officer responsible for WW1 Commemoration. It starts at 5;30 pm and is likely to be in the Cathedral Choir area towards the main altar (or sometimes they use the Lady Chapel). we are advised to start assembling from 5 pm. There is an exhibition in the area of the 55th Division Memorial which is to the south of the Choir. It is part of the normal Cathedral Evensong service (themed to the 55th Division Centenary) and is likely to last about 40 minutes - there is a guest choir. I am told that there are there are light refreshments afterwards. All are welcome although it would be useful to know who intends to be present. The Cathedral is open to visitors in other areas during this service and the Cathedral closes at 7:30, I understand. Standards and wreaths are NOT involved but I gather that Major Knight was hoping that arrangements could be made for wreaths to be left in the Derby Transept (which I thought was the section that contains the King's Regiment Colours and Book of Remembrance. but might be on the other side of the nave in the transept containing Lord Derby's tomb. I should mention that the 55th (West Lancashire) Division comprised entirely of Territorial units, six from the King's Liverpool (including the Liverpool Scottish), two from the King's Own Royal Lancasters, two from the South Lancs, two from the Loyal North Lancs and one from the Lancashire Fusiliers as well as the four West Lancs Artillery Brigades and the three West Lancs RE Field Companies and one signal company and three Field Ambulances so specific regimental references and acts of gallantry are unlikely to be featured. The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment are not participating as such as they are concentrating in 2018 on the Manchester Regiments actions at Manchester Hill. In France, this commemoration of this battle (as part of the Battle of the Lys and other aspects) is being marked in person by the President of the French Republic and our friend Jack Thorpe of Erquinghem Lys and other friends will be laying wreaths at Givenchy.