Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ambulance Train at National Railway Museum

RobertBr

The NRM in York has an exhibition based on a carriage fitted out as an Ambulance. To the rear the it has a Nurses Mess, a Pharmacy in the middle and beds (ward) at the front. Multi media is used to give the impressionof a longer ward.

Carriage schematics, photos and contemporary documents and quotes support the exhibit.

They are curently canvasing opinions about the exhibit so I had  my say. My main issues were finding the exhibit, its tucked away at the back of the main hall with little signage, and that it does not reallty give a decent impression as to how many casualties could be carried on a single train.

However my Grandfather was evacuated on such trains. He was gassed on 28/3/18 and was in Warrington receiving hospital at1am on 1/4/18. So I found it particularly interesting. 

An added bous was The Flying Scotsman, in steam, being coaled in the yard.

• 5 years later...

The latest TNA newsletter gives a link to a Blog entry on 'First World War ambulance trains' , which includes photographs of the interior of  one such constructed by the Great Eastern Railway Company  taken from a 1914 edition of the company's magazine, which is possibly connected with the exhibit at the NRM? Don't think I'll be trying 'toast water' any time soon though.

NigelS

There are a couple of Images in my collection too.

N0320H.jpg.cad401c91cbbb06428661068a16ea328.jpgN0319H.jpg.21c5a867e1b0e803226044e5347c5b9d.jpg