Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th KOYLI 21st September 1917

Mark Hone

I was just putting the finishing touches to my latest batch of Roll of Honour obituaries when I realised that I hadn't researched the circumstances of the death of Private Herbert Bridge, 7th KOYLI who was killed on 21/9/17 and is commemorated on  the Tyne Cot Memorial. I note that there is no mention of the battalion or 20th Division for that date in Mccarthy's day by day account of Passchendaele. Any help as always would be much appreciated.  

Edited by Mark Hone

Mark, can't add much, having just had a quick look through their WD which confirms the battalion in camp at Hulls Farm on the Yser Canal, on the 21st 'In readiness to move. Working parties provided during morning. Warning order received that Bn. might have to go into the line that night.' 

This is confirmed in the 61st Inf Bde WD as 'Large working parties provided by Brigade' the 61st WD also mentions on the 20th that 'During the day 7th KOYLI suffered some casualties from long range shelling of their camp at Hulls Farm' which is completely omitted from the battalion diary, however it would seem very unlikely that Herbert was a casualty whilst in camp and most likely a member of the working party somewhere between Hulls Farm and Langemarck.

Thanks. Bridge wrote an interesting 'last letter' shortly before his death which was preserved by the family and will be included in his Roll of Honour entry. He was a professional musician ( double bass) before the war. Did the battalion go into the line on the night of the 21st? It is possible that Herbert Bridge might have been killed then, perhaps. His last letter was written to his sister Amy on 19th September. He writes that he has just come out of the line. 

Edited by Mark Hone

• 2 years later...

Had he survived until the 22nd when the 7th went up to Langemark I have located all those that were KIA until they left area on night of 28/29 Sept. The battalion buried all together at 20a 6 9/8 and were moved to cement House in the 1920s. All but one are in a row but which is which could not be identified at the time. The 22 Sept interestingly 7 KOYLI went up to relive 7th DCLI and Harry Patch was wounded on way down the line. One of his Lewis team was ID and was also moved to cement house

Thanks for this. Since I asked this original query there has been a subsequent thread about Jill's Farm and the possible location of Herbert Bridge's death and burial.