Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Skipman

Promoted while suffering neurasthenia

Skipman

A Lieutenant I'm researching was home on sick leave with pleurisy 3/9/1915, then diagnosed neurasthenia soon after. He was promoted to Captain in October 1915 and did not go overseas until October 1916. Just wondering if promoting a man suffering neurasthenia was common, and might this additional responsibility have exacerbated his condition?

Mike

ss002d6252
4 minutes ago, Skipman said:

A Lieutenant I'm researching was home on sick leave with pleurisy 3/9/1915, then diagnosed neurasthenia soon after. He was promoted to Captain in October 1915 and did not go overseas until October 1916. Just wondering if promoting a man suffering neurasthenia was common, and might this additional responsibility have exacerbated his condition?

Mike

It may have been a technical point where he was next in line for promotion ? I'd assume whilst he was sick it was just effectively a paper exercise and he had no real duties at that rank until passed fully fit again.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

It may have been a technical point where he was next in line for promotion ?

Craig

So if an officer was in line to be promoted, nothing would alter that?

Mike

ss002d6252
18 minutes ago, Skipman said:

So if an officer was in line to be promoted, nothing would alter that?

Mike

Not specifically with regards to illness as far as I know Mike but I'll take a look a the KR's and see what they add.

Craig

ss002d6252

Looking at the KR it looks like it (at least partially) depended on if he had been placed on half pay or not

Capture.JPG.c7208a00775ae50cb420b43abad70638.JPG

Craig

Thanks again Craig. The officer is actually Captain John Currie Lauder, son of Harry. I should maybe have looked at the London Gazette first.

10/8/1915 (two days before leaving unit) The 8th (The Argyllshire) Battalion,   Princess Louise's (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders); the undermentioned Lieutenants to be temporary Captains: John C Lauder. Dated  26th May, 1915. Click

Mike

ss002d6252
23 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Thanks again Craig. The officer is actually Captain John Currie Lauder, son of Harry. I should maybe have looked at the London Gazette first.

10/8/1915 (two days before leaving unit) The 8th (The Argyllshire) Battalion,   Princess Louise's (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders); the undermentioned Lieutenants to be temporary Captains: John C Lauder. Dated  26th May, 1915. Click

Mike

So the October date was it being made substantive ?

Craig

10 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

So the October date was it being made substantive ?

Craig

Yes. The attached  is from his service record, in a letter written in reply to a relative's request in 1987.

Mike

temp Lauder.PNG

Edited by Skipman

ss002d6252
1 minute ago, Skipman said:

Yes. The attached  is from his service record, in a letter written in reply to a relative's request in 1987.

Mike

temp Lauder.PNG

Looks like you've got to the bottom of it.

Craig

I think so, and thanks again for your help. interesting that he suffered from neurasthenia, had not heard of that before.

Mike

ss002d6252
2 minutes ago, Skipman said:

I think so, and thanks again for your help. interesting that he suffered from neurasthenia, had not heard of that before.

Mike

No problem Mike, always happy to help where I can.

Craig

voltaire60

Just as an afterthought- I have an officer who was commissioned up after shell shock but served successfully until his death from influenza in 1919.-Captain William Alexander Macdonald. Wounded and shellshocked as a Sergeant with the London Scottish in late 1914. Commissioned into RAOC and spent rest of time as an ordnance officer near Stirling, 

Lauder's case is a little unusual in that he went back to frontline service- but there again, his family circumstances made all of his service slightly out of the ordinary. Just how many men with neurasthenia,etc were retained but transferred to back-area jobs where they could still function effectively is something little considered.

ss002d6252
10 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Just as an afterthought- I have an officer who was commissioned up after shell shock but served successfully until his death from influenza in 1919.-Captain William Alexander Macdonald. Wounded and shellshocked as a Sergeant with the London Scottish in late 1914. Commissioned into RAOC and spent rest of time as an ordnance officer near Stirling, 

Lauder's case is a little unusual in that he went back to frontline service- but there again, his family circumstances made all of his service slightly out of the ordinary. Just how many men with neurasthenia,etc were retained but transferred to back-area jobs where they could still function effectively is something little considered.

I suspect a lot of the men in back-end jobs were actually those who'd been to the front and were no longer medically fit. I think at times there's a (wrong) view that men in the back-end jobs were shirking or hiding.

Craig