Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hosp at Eastleigh UK

stevenbecker

Mates,

I have a soldier evac to hosp in Malta (St Andrews) 31-7-15 and the only other entry is to hosp Eastleigh UK 30-9-15

The last entry is Aust Base Depot Abbey Wood before being sent home with Rheum.

The problem is there is no hosp name for Eastleigh, do we know what hosp were at Eastleigh and where it was?

The soldiers AIF record is 

DIVALL William 63 Cpl 6 LHR A Sqn D Troop (545) evac to St Andrews hosp Malta (injuried hand & influ) 7-15 to hosp Eastleigh UK 9-15 (G) to AB Abbey Wood UK 4-16 RTA MU rheum disch 16-9-16 (NSW Infantry (28) Sudan 1885 and Boer War CSqn/1 NSWMR (475)

Cheers

S.B

Steve

Eastleigh Clearing Hospital (aka Eastleigh CCS as preferred by it's OC RAMC) was house in Chamberlayne School in the middle of the town, with a bed count of 1250. Used as a holding station for lightly wounded or sick from landing at Southampton Docks ( 5 miles away) who were moved off to other, mostly convalescent, premises within a day or three.

Search on Eastleigh Clearing Hospital for a pic or two.

Mate,

Thank you.

I also have these soldiers which shows;

BENNETT James Norman 82 Pte 6 LHR A Sqn B Troop (360) evac to St Johns hosp Malta (dysentry) 9-15 to (Peter Street) hosp Lewisham UK 9-15 (G) to ABD Abbey Wood UK 5-16 to L/Cpl 6-16 to 1 Trg Bn UK 11-16 to BCo/1Bn 12-16 to school of instruction 12-16 prom 2/Lt 24-1-17 WIA 15-4-17 face shot reported during German attack around Lagnicourt near Bullecourt rtn 5-17 F&B reported killed shot by sniper soon after advance on Broodseinde ridge buried Tyne Cot Cemetery Belgium (British BCo/1/1Bn The Herefordshire Regt TF & OTC 6 years)

BROWN Reginald Roy 84 Pte 6 LHR A Sqn D Troop (971) to B Troop evac to Imtarfa hosp Malta (dysentry) 7-15 to (Military) hosp Lewisham UK (enteric) 9-15 (G) disch to British Army prom 2/Lt 6 B Res Bde RFA Edinburgh to Maj 14 Bde RFA 7 Div to RHA MC F&B killed near Cambrai in final drive by the 1st Army buried Awoingt British Cemetery Cambrai France                                                                                                                              

One entry mentions Peter Street hosp Lewisham, while another entry mentions Military Hosp Lewisham.

They are refering to the same hosp (I think?).

Any ideas

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

The Military Hospital was definitely on the High Street in Lewisham - there are a few threads about it on the forum.

Have you definitely got Peter Street and not Brockley St Peter, near Lewisham? Just in case ...

Local Studies Centre at Lewisham Library local.studies@lewisham.gov.uk Local History and Archives Centre, 199-201, High Street, Lewisham SE13 6LG.

Mates,

Yes that's my problem what name are they calling this hosp?

One entry shows "Military Hosp Lewisham SE England" (see page 45 and 51 of his AIF service record)

Another entry shows discharged from the "Great Peter Street Hosp" (see page 51 of his AIF service record)

Are they the same hosp?

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Since Great Peter Street is in Westminster/Pimlico, probably not.

I will see if I can track down any reference to a hospital in the latter.

All I can find is that Greycoat Hospital was formerly at the west end of Great Peter Street - but no evidence that it was anything other than a girls' school at the time, as it is now. It might have been requisitioned, however.

I had hopes of finding something on this site but no go: https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/the-collections/Pages/london-hospitals-in-the-great-war.aspx#

However, perhaps the London Metropolitan Archives are the people who can help.

sJ