Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC errors

Phil Wood

I often come across minor errors but this one is quite impressive - the stone (Redoubt Cemetery) for the man who is in their database as A McHENRY.  And the grave location is also wrong (should be XI.A.2).

DSC08726.JPG.4e2a9bfd9914977ade896b9627d99c4e.JPG

Presumably you just drop CWGC an email notifying them of the issue? The name discrepancies usually arise when the records were scanned for digitisation years back.

Yes, John - if you give them evidence, they're quite receptive.  I've submitted at least half a dozen Black Country lads whose details are incorrect.   

May take a while though...

I believe Phil is pointing out Its the stone which is inscribed incorrectly

Listed on MIC, Medal rolls, SDGW, and soldiers effects as  Pte 1407   Alexander Henry K.O.S.B  KIA  9/12/15

Ray

The two GRRFs on CWGC have two names for him;

1407 A. McHenry and 1407 RM McHendry. His MIC is to A McHenry but his BWM & V medal roll was originally entered as McHendry and altered to McHenry. 1914-15 Star roll is to McHenry.

Not sure where the RM McHendry comes from on CWGC although there is another man who survived - Robert McHendry, Scottish Rifles.

CWGC would certainly look into the issue. More to the point, what on earth have they done to their website?

TEW

5 hours ago, RaySearching said:

I believe Phil is pointing out Its the stone which is inscribed incorrectly

Listed on MIC, Medal rolls, SDGW, and soldiers effects as  Pte 1407   Alexander Henry K.O.S.B  KIA  9/12/15

Ray

I was not sure which was incorrect, just that they don't match either in surname or initial - now you are suggesting that both are. What makes it worse is that someone visiting to pay their respects will, presumably, be looking for A McHenry at II.A.2 - where they will find another casualty.  This is not that rare, when confronted with the situation I try locations that could be OCRed incorrectly to II.A.2  (I.A.2, III.A.2, etc).  I might well reach up at XI.A.2 - where I would find H M McHendry - but would I connect him to A McHenry?

6 hours ago, TEW said:

The two GRRFs on CWGC have two names for him;

1407 A. McHenry and 1407 RM McHendry. His MIC is to A McHenry but his BWM & V medal roll was originally entered as McHendry and altered to McHenry. 1914-15 Star roll is to McHenry.

Not sure where the RM McHendry comes from on CWGC although there is another man who survived - Robert McHendry, Scottish Rifles.

CWGC would certainly look into the issue. More to the point, what on earth have they done to their website?

TEW

I guess this shows the obvious - it's much easier to change paperwork or a database than a stone.  I wonder how long they have known it was wrongly inscribed?

There is another thread for comments on the new website, I'm not a fan, particulalry of their testing process!

6 hours ago, John_Hartley said:

Presumably you just drop CWGC an email notifying them of the issue? The name discrepancies usually arise when the records were scanned for digitisation years back.

I'm a bit random in my response to errors - I have reported some, not others.

I don't even record many of them - at other times I have quite good records.  When I finish sorting out my Gallipoli photos I could send in a few dozen.

31 minutes ago, Phil Wood said:

it's much easier to change paperwork or a database than a stone

Usually, the Commission won't amend a headstone until it's due for replacement which, of course, could be many years if it's in a good state (such as your photo).)

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Last year I found a stone at Boulogne Eastern with the epitaph Until We Melt Again. I emailed the CWGC and this year, I was glad to see it amended. Of course, with that one it was just a case of making the L into an E, not replacing the whole stone. 

Michelle 

Ive currently asked about Peter Carnie who was Shot at Dawn and is on the Thiepval memorial.  presumably anyone can ask CWGC about changes not necessarily family.