Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Bunger

Italian Victory medal identification

Bunger

hello I've found an interesting italian Victory medal. The seller sais that "the fragment" of the ribbon is original. The ribbon and the medal itself are original? The markings look legit to me.

Best regards.

George

162685337_1_1000x700_medalie-primul-razboi-mondial-grande-gverra-per-la-civilta-resita.jpg

162685337_2_1000x700_medalie-primul-razboi-mondial-grande-gverra-per-la-civilta-fotografii.jpg

162685337_3_1000x700_medalie-primul-razboi-mondial-grande-gverra-per-la-civilta-arta-obiecte-de-colectie.jpg

162685337_4_1000x700_medalie-primul-razboi-mondial-grande-gverra-per-la-civilta-sport-timp-liber-arta.jpg

162685337_5_1000x700_medalie-primul-razboi-mondial-grande-gverra-per-la-civilta-caras-severin.jpg

162685337_6_1000x700_medalie-primul-razboi-mondial-grande-gverra-per-la-civilta-.jpg

162685337_7_1000x700_medalie-primul-razboi-mondial-grande-gverra-per-la-civilta-.jpg

Edited by Bunger

johnboy

What info is on the rim?

Bunger

it doesn't say anything about the rim. Should it have a mark?

George

johnboy

Not sure but might be worth finding out.Th ribbon in the pics seems to change colour.

trajan

Do you mean by 'anything on the rim' the recipients name? I think that was only done with the GB ones. Some (?all?) of the Brazilian and Cuban ones are rim-marked by the maker, and a scant few US ones have a 'U.S.M.XXX' mark, apparently a mint mark, but not, as far as I know, the Italian ones. 

I am not an expert by any means but this looks fine to me - should be 36 mm diameter. But check the edge to see if there is a ridge indicating this is a cast copy. S.Johnson of Milan made two versions, one apparently a late re-issue and so less detailed than the original run.

Bunger

This medal is on the internet. I don't have it phisically. The seller doesn't give any details about the rim. Do you think this medal is a late issue? I mean I want to learn what "detailed" and "less detailed" mean on medals.

George

Bilco

George - this appears to be a rather battered example of the Official Type 2, designed by Gaetano Orsolini, whose name appears to the left of S Johnson, the manufacturer. On the reverse is the name of the die-sinker G Villa. There are three official versions - the Type 1 manufactured by Sacchini, this Type 2, and the Type 3 manufactured by F. M. Lorioli & Castelli - the difference is just in the name on the right of the obverse. The main ribbon looks OK but the other piece is from something else entirely!

Bill

Bunger

Hello Bill,

What do you mean by "other piece"? There is one photo where the medal is grey but I think that it is under a filter or a light (UV). All the details are there, in all of the photos. I think it is the same piece. It is a bit strange I admit and also the price is pretty low. Maybe it's worth the money.

George 

Bilco

Hi George - the photo of the reverse shows some red and yellow material which looks different to the main piece of ribbon, both in colour and texture. I think it has been sewn in to lengthen the main piece.

Bill

Bunger

Hi Bill,

I will ask for a photo with the entire medal. If the seller gives it to me I will put it here. But why would you sew something on a ribbon of a medal anyway?

George

Bilco

George - I guess that the seller wants to have as much of the proper ribbon showing as possible. If you look at the second photo in your first post you can see a slightly frayed edge to the bottom of the ribbon where the join is - perhaps he glued it instead of sewing it. I have seen this before - sometimes joining two pieces of the rainbow ribbon to make a longer piece.

Bill

Bilco

George - the main piece of ribbon is genuine, there's just not a lot of it! The problem is that they aren't making it any more - or at least, not in the original quality - so people have to get bits where they can.

Bill

Edited by Bilco

trajan

No, not necessarily a fake ribbon, but as Bilco said, somebody has extended a piece of original ribbon to fit the suspension loop by sticking another piece on the bottom of the existing piece, looping it through the suspension loop, and then sticking it to the back of what remains of the original ribbon so that a long length of original is seen from the front (obverse) side. The main piece of ribbon you have looks to be silk and so is probably original. Surprisingly enough, what are said to be spools of original silk ribbon do appear on e-bay now and again. Or hunt for somebody selling original ribbons they don't want - I have done that for some of my BVM's, but the British ribbon is, if I remember rightly, slightly wider than the Italian. 

Claudio Pasquali

I'm Italian, Medal is original 100% ...the ribbon is almost sure it's Italian,

I only collect inter-allied medals and I know all the Italian models (I'm publishing the much wider Italian catalog of Laslo and Michaels)

Claudio