Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC website

thetrenchrat22

Go into find war dead and scroll down, multiple search options there including additional information.

Hi 

i had a quick look at the website on a desktop computer yesterday and it worked for me but it will take sometime to get to know the new layout

as for symbol of the head and shoulders, it would seem that there idea 💡 is to have a photo of the casualtie on the website but this facility is not currently set up as yet and will be running in the next month or so

IMG_0383.JPG.5fd85a975c510a2942677614857fe8d9.JPG

1 hour ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

as for symbol of the head and shoulders, it would seem that there idea 💡 is to have a photo of the casualtie on the website but this facility is not currently set up as yet and will be running in the next month or so

Someone else suggested that this is a placeholder for pictures of the graves/memorials - which seems to me to be far more likely.

37 minutes ago, Phil Wood said:

Someone else suggested that this is a placeholder for pictures of the graves/memorials - which seems to me to be far more likely.

Phil, 

paul Davis of the CWGC enquiries section has confirmed to me that the faculty is for a photo of the deceased to be added to their page on the website. 

Sent a a photo of my great great uncle 

3 minutes ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

Phil, 

paul Davis of the CWGC enquiries section has confirmed to me that the faculty is for a photo of the deceased to be added to their page on the website. 

Sent a a photo of my great great uncle 

And that, given the hoops you have to jump through to get them to correct errors, is frankly amazing. The photo's submitted could frankly be of anyone.

Mike

46 minutes ago, Phil Wood said:

But that would do them out of the income derived from their war grave photo service?

BillyH.

16 hours ago, Ian C said:

Is it me or have they removed the next of kin details etc?

IanC

If you hit the "Download results" link the NOK details are on the spreadsheet that you get. Other than that, I can't find them.

I think they have fixed something here with this re-vamp that wasn't actually broken. I hope it didn't cost them much, as I reckon that the money could have been far better spent elsewhere.

Regards,

Mike

The download results button no longer appears if you are using a mobile 

as Captain Darling was said B***er 

4 hours ago, BillyH said:

But that would do them out of the income derived from their war grave photo service?

BillyH.

Did they ever receive an income ? 

My understanding was that  the The War Graves Photographic Project was a not for profit company

Edit  did they not  sever ties with TWGPP last year?

Ray

Edited by RaySearching

4 hours ago, BillyH said:

BillyH.

What photo service? 

Dropping the link to TWGPP is now looking like preparation for the launch of their own service.

But it's all guesswork - it could be something else entirely - eg a regimental badge.

3 minutes ago, Phil Wood said:

What photo service? 

Dropping the link to TWGPP is now looking like preparation for the launch of their own service.

Quote What  photo service

I think Billy H was referring to the photo service provided by the TWGPP which was endorsed or affiliated to the CWGC in some way

Ray

On 10/09/2017 at 14:09, Phil Wood said:

What photo service? 

But it's all guesswork - it could be something else entirely - eg a regimental badge.

Dear Mr Gregson,

Thank you for your enquiry

The CWGC’s new website will have a facility to upload photographs against individual casualty records but this is not available at the present time.  We intend to launch this function in the coming months.

In the meantime, if you wish to email a digital photograph of a war casualty to our Archivist at: andrew.fetherston@cwgc.org, he will store the image until it can be uploaded.

I hope this is helpful and thank you for your interest.

Yours sincerely

Paul Davis

CWGC Enquiries section

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 07/09/2017 21:27
To: enquiries@cwgc.org
Subject: Re: CWGC Enquiry Acknowledgement: Number 00044307

I note from the website that you have included the inscription from the headstone.

Would it be possible for today's family of the deceased to add an inscription to the website only if an inscription does not appear on the headstone

Sent by me to you today

> On 7 Sep 2017, at 20:54, CWGC Enquiries Support Team <noreply@cwgc.org> wrote:
>
> Your Enquiry 00044307
>
> The CWGC thank you for your enquiry. Our offices are open Monday to Friday and the team will make every effort to provide you with a full response to your enquiry within ten working days.   Occasionally, some enquiries are more complex and may take a little longer to respond to if we have to refer them to other departments within CWGC.
>
> Regards,
> CWGC Enquiries Team
>
>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 This email has been scanned for email related threats and delivered safely by Mimecast.
 For more information please visit http://www.mimecast.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ref:_00D24Kljz._500241m6Von:ref

Edited by thetrenchrat22

On 10/09/2017 at 14:15, thetrenchrat22 said:

Dear Mr Gregson,

Thank you for your enquiry

The CWGC’s new website will have a facility to upload photographs against individual casualty records but this is not available at the present time.  We intend to launch this function in the coming months.

In the meantime, if you wish to email a digital photograph of a war casualty to our Archivist at: andrew.fetherston@cwgc.org, he will store the image until it can be uploaded.

I hope this is helpful and thank you for your interest.

Yours sincerely

Paul Davis

CWGC Enquiries section

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 07/09/2017 21:27
To: enquiries@cwgc.org
Subject: Re: CWGC Enquiry Acknowledgement: Number 00044307

I note from the website that you have included the inscription from the headstone.

Would it be possible for today's family of the deceased to add an inscription to the website only if an inscription does not appear on the headstone

Sent by me to you today

> On 7 Sep 2017, at 20:54, CWGC Enquiries Support Team <noreply@cwgc.org> wrote:
>
> Your Enquiry 00044307
>
> The CWGC thank you for your enquiry. Our offices are open Monday to Friday and the team will make every effort to provide you with a full response to your enquiry within ten working days.   Occasionally, some enquiries are more complex and may take a little longer to respond to if we have to refer them to other departments within CWGC.
>
> Regards,
> CWGC Enquiries Team
>
>
 This email has been scanned for email related threats and delivered safely by Mimecast.
 For more information please visit http://www.mimecast.com
ref:_00D24Kljz._500241m6Von:ref

Hi

I see today that you have launched a new website and there seems to be a faculty to add a photo of the deceased soldier sailor or airman.

I enclose a photo of 268047 Private Samuel Colclough 1/6th Bn, Cheshire Regiment who was killed in action on 26th July 1917.

Please add his photo to his page on your website

Sent by me to you today

Edited by thetrenchrat22
Remove my email address

What happened to this project? Is the CWGC now doing its own thing or is it linked ?

"The Royal British Legion, in partnership with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, has developed Every One Remembered, a project to individually commemorate over 1 million Commonwealth Service men and women who were killed during the First World War."

Surely as an CWGC database it would have made more sense to have had a photo of the individual headstones or commemorative panel added to the database than images of the casualties many of which would be unobtainable

Ray

6 hours ago, Medaler said:

And that, given the hoops you have to jump through to get them to correct errors, is frankly amazing. The photo's submitted could frankly be of anyone.

Mike

Agreed, even families that come on here with photographs claiming that they are so and so have proved wrong in the past. Dangerous game they are playing if they intend to place photographs of the soldiers up, especially when their records have a good few errors in them to start with.

Andy

9 minutes ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Agreed, even families that come on here with photographs claiming that they are so and so have proved wrong in the past. Dangerous game they are playing if they intend to place photographs of the soldiers up, especially when their records have a good few errors in them to start with.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Glad you can see where I am coming from with this. The money would have been better spent paying researchers to come up with reliable information about the men and women they commemorate, and trying to resolve some of the anomalies. They could start with all the 1st Battalion Sherwood Foresters they have on their records that were buried on the continent before their battalion actually left Britain. I am sure there are many other examples that we could think of between us. Getting their magnificent database (because it really is magnificent, despite the errors) to be improved for accuracy should surely be a higher priority? Adding photo's of men relying on providence rather than provenance can only undermine things. I wonder what Fabian Ware would have made of it?

Regards,

Mike

30 minutes ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Andy

6 minutes ago, Medaler said:

Hi Andy,

Glad you can see where I am coming from with this. The money would have been better spent paying researchers to come up with reliable information about the men and women they commemorate, and trying to resolve some of the anomalies. They could start with all the 1st Battalion Sherwood Foresters they have on their records that were buried on the continent before their battalion actually left Britain. I am sure there are many other examples that we could think of between us. Getting their magnificent database (because it really is magnificent, despite the errors) to be improved for accuracy should surely be a higher priority? Adding photo's of men relying on providence rather than provenance can only undermine things. I wonder what Fabian Ware would have made of it?

Regards,

Mike

I agree with the above

Maybe they should have a rethink 

At least headstone photos can be seen to be accurate (although some also have errors on the inscriptions

Ray)

On 08/09/2017 at 17:51, Aurel Sercu said:

I am old and conservative, but I am willing to learn and adapt. So the new appearance made me sigh, but I did my best. And at the beginning it worked and I was almost happy.

But ...

Question : Is it still possible to find all the graves in (an example) Duhallow ADS Cemetery, Plot VIII Row F Graves 11-17.

I used to search using that way of sorting very often. But now, no matter how I try ...

After about 1 hour I think I will give up.

If someone replies : no, this is no longer possible, then  I will just be sad and spend a little more time with my wife. (Maybe that was CWGC's intention?)

Aurel

Aurel,

Not so old, surely?  But, I don't like the new website either, it's less efficient for mouse/keyboard users and is geared toward the mobile device generation who seem happy to tap screens all day long.  To answer your question, yes it's possible but AFIAK you'd have to download all 1371 records as a spreadsheet and sort/filter those records.

To get to the download takes FIVE steps.  

https://www.cwgc.org/  click on find cemeteries & memorials

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-cemeteries-and-memorials/  type in the duhall... in the name box and wait for auto-completion list and pick the only one and then click on green screen search button.  

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-cemeteries-and-memorials/results?name=Duhallow%2BA.D.S.%2BCemetery  now this is not obvious at all but have to click on the cemetery name again  that's roughly mid page and underlined and with >  symbol.  

https://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/2023718/duhallow-a.d.s.-cemetery/  Now you have to click on underlined "Find these records"

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results/?cemetery=DUHALLOW A.D.S. CEMETERY Finally can you vie or download 1372 ( one is WW2 because no filter was applied at the beginning as it was no in view when starting this process) 

It might look nice, but the new CWGC site has gone backwards as far as I'm concerned.  Maybe it is time to remember you're married :D

Chris.

Chris,

You wrote : "Maybe it is time to remember you're married :D "

I write : "I love the CWGC (and so does my wife).".

Aurel

P.S. I'll e-mail

There seems to be a lot of functions which could be built in to the website which appear not to be there at the moment - I wonder if they will slowly add them ?

Craig

6 hours ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

Thanks for that - it's good to put the rumour-mongering to bed - though it's alway fun!

If they are going to allow users to add the photos it will cost them next to nothing and make a few folk happy - even if the photos may not be the casualty!  I would also bet that someone will post a picture of the headstone within the first hour of the facility going live.  I hope they will cater for multiple images on one casualty. 

6 hours ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

Whilst initially  it sounds a good idea I have reservations

In theory I could photo-shop a head-shot  of myself onto a soldier in uniform and pass myself of as say (The unknown soldier) 

I think this facility would be open to abuse leading to the CWGC database being corrupted

Ray