Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC website

thetrenchrat22

The documentary evidence page is an improvement..... the links are good, but hopefully this is a work in progress and more can be added in the future.

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead-and-cemeteries/documentary-evidence

Edited by Kitchener's Bugle

Not sure I like this. If, for example, I wanted to find the first casualty to a particular battalion, I'm not sure how to go about it now. It might just be a familiarisation thing, but my jury is still out on this. I fear that the search facility is too course.

Searching for all the casualties to a specific ship also now seems to be beyond my grasp.

I think I am going to have to play around with it and ultimately will get no more out of it than I could before it was "improved".

Mike

I've just had a good rummage through and quite like it, although you can only apply filters one at a time so takes a bit longer to sort through (or maybe I was just doing it wrong!)

i was sewarching out all my rellies to make sure they were all there and couldn't find one of them.  I then input by surname only and both wars came up, before I knew it I'd found another rellie (distant) who'd died workng on the Burmese railway.  So that was a female relative who lost a husband (and a brother in law) in the first war and a son in the second.  Wished I'd not looked now.

It works, my links work (they didn't after the last change until they fixed it so that's a distinct improvement).

The downside to me is that it just seems to take up more screen space, so more scrolling.  I am sorry to lose the compact the filter panel down the left.

Are they really going to add grave photos?  Obviously a great advantage to most, but I have spent many pleasant hours trolling around from cemetery to cemetery taking photos - I will miss the excuse to do so.

As I noted above the last change to the site caused me problems - I communicated this to the CWGC and they fixed the issue - if anyone is finding the new search less effective than the last I'd suggest telling them - they have been known to listen and to fix.

I miss the ability to add all the filters at once ... 

Will be interested to see if they have removed the inconsistencies in ranks for the RNMS - I used to see both Captain Surgeon and Surgeon Captain, for example.

Thanks Phil and Ray for confirming, links are still working, wasn't brave enough to check last night after the last time the website was up graded.

Mandy

6 hours ago, seaJane said:

I miss the ability to add all the filters at once ... 

7 hours ago, Pighills said:

I've just had a good rummage through and quite like it, although you can only apply filters one at a time so takes a bit longer to sort through (or maybe I was just doing it wrong!)

Seajane, Pighills, clicking on the various "more search options" before clicking on the search button allows you to use more than one filter.

7 hours ago, Medaler said:

Not sure I like this. If, for example, I wanted to find the first casualty to a particular battalion, I'm not sure how to go about it now. It might just be a familiarisation thing, but my jury is still out on this. I fear that the search facility is too course.

Searching for all the casualties to a specific ship also now seems to be beyond my grasp.

Mike

Mike,

clicking on the unit button under "more search options" and entering the ship's name or battalion will bring up the info you require, the option to list the casualties in date order is also still there.

The search facility is just good as it was before, just the boxes are in a different places.

Charlie

58 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Mike,

clicking on the unit button under "more search options" and entering the ship's name or battalion will bring up the info you require, the option to list the casualties in date order is also still there.

The search facility is just good as it was before, just the boxes are in a different places.

Charlie

That took some finding! I tried last night to search down to unit level but could not find a way to get beyond Regiment. Having read this I have tried again, 3 or 4 times in different ways but no sign of 'more search options'. Then I happened to scroll the screen on my iPad and found the more search option down at the bottom of the page. Because it was after the first 'SEARCH' box I had missed the extra options completely. Maybe the options need re-jigging a bit. 

2 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Seajane, Pighills, clicking on the various "more search options" before clicking on the search button allows you to use more than one filter.

Mike,

Charlie

Cheers Charlie, I will have to play around some more.

Regards,

Mike

1 hour ago, Margosh said:

That took some finding! I tried last night to search down to unit level but could not find a way to get beyond Regiment. Having read this I have tried again, 3 or 4 times in different ways but no sign of 'more search options'. Then I happened to scroll the screen on my iPad and found the more search option down at the bottom of the page. Because it was after the first 'SEARCH' box I had missed the extra options copletely. Maybe the options need re-jigging a bit. 

In essence this is my problem with the new site - for some reason, in order to make it more accesible on a tiny phone screen it has to expand in size and be less accessible on a PC/laptop screen. It's a common problem.  I have looked at updating my website using a CMS to make it 'mobile friendly' and keep retreating from the idea because of the huge blocks every template wants to use. 

13 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Not all the GRR's have been uploaded. On the old version there were two for my relative, the working GRR and the Final GRR now there is only one which shows only his uncorrected date of death.

I sent a question on this to CWGC last night and this am received an acknowledgement, an Enquiry number and an indication of response within 10 days. Very efficient so far.

7 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Thank you!

I'll keep going... 

19 hours ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

Anybody seen the new CWGC website, which came online today

looks ok on mobilephone but not tried on mainframe 

I find that I can only sort last names into A-Z order but not the other way round. Am I doing something wrong

Tony

It does seem to suffer like Ancestry from an over eagerness to give lots of results.

I search from my great uncle by his full name - Charles Richard Harper - and it gave me Clarences, Colins, Charles Alexander and numerous others.

Given that the default ordering is by 'relevence' it was a shame that he was on page 3 of the results behind most of the above.  Surely it should list Charles Richards first. Then I'd go for C Rs without full forenames (the case with my guncle) then Charleses and no Colins, etc.

Edited by Phil Wood

My second problem is with the 'more search options'  - I have seen it, but it's gone, disappeared.  It appeared at the end of the 1st page of results from my 1st search, but not the 2nd page and not on any page of results since.  Perhaps it will reappear when my session times out and I start a new one.

I am old and conservative, but I am willing to learn and adapt. So the new appearance made me sigh, but I did my best. And at the beginning it worked and I was almost happy.

But ...

Question : Is it still possible to find all the graves in (an example) Duhallow ADS Cemetery, Plot VIII Row F Graves 11-17.

I used to search using that way of sorting very often. But now, no matter how I try ...

After about 1 hour I think I will give up.

If someone replies : no, this is no longer possible, then  I will just be sad and spend a little more time with my wife. (Maybe that was CWGC's intention?)

Aurel

Edited by Aurel Sercu
wrong key and "everyting" had left already

I did say that links work - and they do, every link from a casualty on my website that I've tried works fine.

However, I just googles a cemetery - as is my wont - and clicked on the link provided - Error 404.  Google will adjust in time, meanwhile, sigh!

EDIT: Update, cemetery links from Wikipedia also fail.

Edited by Phil Wood

I had pretty much stoped using Geoff's engine since the CWGC switched to the last format.  I suspect that I will return following this latest update.

More errors - search for all casualties in Gallipoli, go to map view (a good idea) - several cemeteries missing.

Search for grave in Turkey - I was then offered a choice of one location - Imbros!  No others.

Hmmmm,

After playing around a little with it, I think I will be going back to Geoff's until either it sorts itself out or I get fully used to the new format. 

Andy